Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was messing around practicing stacking with Nadia for fun and because I figured I should get back on it if I wanna take her out UKC next year (and besides with the Breed Survey at the end of november she should know how to stack since conformation IS evaluated and looked at as part of both the BSB and BSA). Liked what I saw and took some pictures (mostly cause I like the definition on her lats lol)... showed them to a breeder friend who recommended a handler... handler thinks she could finish in a reasonable amount of time and so I've decided to enter her to her first CKC confo show next month.

also took some fall photos with her new Wonder Woman collar :D

And wanted to share this one taken the other day at training because though she's actually trying to mug me for her tug, she looks so elegant and graceful, like a creature you'd find on heraldic arms or a dramatic renaissance painting LOL

As I mentioed in the posts or breathe right thread, the (now 1 year old) foster that was surrendered to me in July has been thriving and enjoying the good life. His new family sends me updates weekly, often several times a week. I get pictures and videos very regularly. Someday I will write his story here and relate his time spent with me. In the mean time here are a few recent pictures of him in his new home in France by the Swiss border. In a sort of kismet, his owner encountered another cropped and docked dobe (a rather rare occurrence there!)... the two owners are both single, about the same age, both adore dobes... and the two dobes get along great. This new dobie friend is a little younger, I believe 2 months younger.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,136 Posts
Lovely pictures! Nadia certainly does look agile, and dobes are always elegant. Doberman Rampant--you'll have to design a coat of arms for her. Wondering about the white patch on her chest...does the handler know she has one? I remember there's something in the standard about what size a white spot on the chest can be, but I'm not a show person, so I don't really know.

You will have to tell us about your foster...how in the world did he end up in France?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lovely pictures! Nadia certainly does look agile, and dobes are always elegant. Doberman Rampant--you'll have to design a coat of arms for her. Wondering about the white patch on her chest...does the handler know she has one? I remember there's something in the standard about what size a white spot on the chest can be, but I'm not a show person, so I don't really know.

You will have to tell us about your foster...how in the world did he end up in France?
For sure! The handler is aware, I gave her full disclosure about the excessive white, which per the standard is faulty but is not a DQ. The UKC, AKC and CKC standard all say the same (and UDC uses the AKC standard). A white patch on the chest is permissible (and not a fault) if it is about a quarter inch in diameter. More than that or significant white anywhere else is faulty, but not a DQ. Only the FCI standard DQs any white at all.

Also told her she has a tendency to double track in the rear on a lead and that she has a tendency to drool in anticipation of her bait, and I need to work on upping her excitement while stacking and practicing because she doesn't like having her tail played with and she has a tendency to put her tail horizontal when she is focusing/concentrating. I think it's important for the handler to be aware even before meeting her of the challenges she might encounter in presenting her and choose how/what to do about that.

I will absolutely tell you all about the story, I've just been so angry and disappointed with the breeder. Even after this boy left for France, I uncovered more dirt about the breeder. And the sick irony is that before this boy was dumped into my lap, I was already trying to help people out dealing with this breeder including the person who adopted this guy. The breeder scammed them out of 4650$ for a puppy he never sent them. So there are multiple stories here that are entwined and I think I will have to make at least two different threads. One that focuses on the breeder and one that focuses on the dog.

·
Super Moderator
25,136 Posts
....she has a tendency to drool in anticipation of her bait....
:roflmao:

Now I need to know how you teach them not to do that. Also how to teach them not to carry that last mouthful of water from their water dish around the house and dump it in your lap.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:roflmao:

Now I need to know how you teach them not to do that. Also how to teach them not to carry that last mouthful of water from their water dish around the house and dump it in your lap.
LOL I've been lucky with Nadia on the water thing. My grandma's now deceased 3/4 poodle mix did that though.

I'm not sure if you can train them not to drool lmbo! I may have to invest in an elegant black silk kerchief and bequeath it to the handler before entering the ring :grin2:

Reactions: melbrod and LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
25,136 Posts
With my dobes, seems like there was always a puddle/streak of water leading away from the water dish. I had a big tray thing the dish was on, but it was still a problem. I kinda thought all dogs did that with their water dish until I got HD (cattle dog mix). He has a neat mouth--when it comes to drinking water. He saves it for mouthing me (AKA gnawing on my hands when he's excited).

I used to laugh at my friend who showed Newfies. He always had a rag in his pocket--white foamy stuff really shows up on a black furry dog. I gather they even make drool bibs for them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have certainly seen drool bibs on Newfs and Saints - I didn't even think of the havoc that would wreak on their show-ready coats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts