Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dobe gets the same thing just in the mornings. After I pick them off he is eye booger free the rest of the day. I think as long as they are grayish clear color your dogie babies are fine :)
It's just like you get little eye boogies after you wake up they get the same thing.

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
I have had three Dobermans and they have all had these gross eye boogers. Seems worse in the morning. What causes that?

If they are grey or clear. Don't worry about it. My boys have eye "snot" every morning. I let them shake them out and then wipe them off their faces.

On the other hand if they are green and looking different than usual, you are probably looking at vet visit That is, unless you keep a prescription opthalmic ointment on hand. I always have some Vetropolycin HC around. If it doesn't clear up, then definitely vet.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If they are smallish and normal color, I guess you could say they are normal enough. However, if they are large, happen more than when first getting up in the morning or an off color, one should get to the vet.

Eye discharge can be a sign of food or environmental allergies. My boy had them and was diagnosed with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye) and needs eyes drops applied twice a day. There is a simple test the vet can do to check for KCS.

Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca or Dry Eye in Dogs

If you have a question, I would have my dogs eyes checked, especially if there's any head rubbing on furniture or carpet going on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are smallish and normal color, I guess you could say they are normal enough. However, if they are large, happen more than when first getting up in the morning or an off color, one should get to the vet.

Eye discharge can be a sign of food or environmental allergies. My boy had them and was diagnosed with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye) and needs eyes drops applied twice a day. There is a simple test the vet can do to check for KCS.

Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca or Dry Eye in Dogs

If you have a question, I would have my dogs eyes checked, especially if there's any head rubbing on furniture or carpet going on.
yeah, they are grayish clear, not excessive. She doesn't seem bothered by them. I just wondered. She is eating Orijen and Acana, with some mix ins. She gets spayed in about a week, so I could ask the vet about it then.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Our boy has them and I asked the vet about it at our last visit. He said it is normal and just comes from the dust and other pollutants in the air. I am like everybody else, I just wipe his eyes clean, using a wet paper towel. I don't wait for him to shake them off because they fly all over the place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My boy gets these too. They are grey/white in color. We just wipe his face in the morning and he is fine.

One of the other dobie owners at the dog park we go to said it was caused by tap water and we should give him purified bottled water instead and it'll stop. However when we asked our vet she said tap water makes no difference

We noticed that his eye gophers were worse when the air conditioning was running, so we are thinking it was an allergy of some kind.

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
My boy gets these too. They are grey/white in color. We just wipe his face in the morning and he is fine.

One of the other dobie owners at the dog park we go to said it was caused by tap water and we should give him purified bottled water instead and it'll stop. However when we asked our vet she said tap water makes no difference

We noticed that his eye gophers were worse when the air conditioning was running, so we are thinking it was an allergy of some kind.
Bottled water? LOL My boys get at least half of their water on their walks from generous folks, who put water bowls out. Dobermans get eye mucus. Usually over night while sleeping. I don't even remove them anymore. I just wait until they shake them out and then wipe them off. .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, someone actually suggested giving my dog bottled water. And no, we did not stop giving him tap water in favor of bottled water. Somewhere in Pasadena two super spoiled dobies and drinking bottled water from crystal bowls. Lol. But my boy still gets tap water and it makes no difference. We have noticed that his eye goobers get worse with the a/c on so we clean the ducts regularly and other than that he is fine.

Do not give your dog bottled water unless you really want to. Just to be clear that advice was unsubstantiated and clearly ridiculous. Lol.

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
I clean our girls eye goopies out, every morning and try and make sure their is no soft eye matter if I go to take her photo.
- Kelly is use to this task, since 10 weeks old / she remains very calm, till the I make it all gone
- our dog(s) get filtered cold water / we avoid all tap water, straight out of the tap

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was just wondering about this! Mac gets little eye crusties, and I was starting to get concerned, but I guess I can chalk it up to his frequent naps and allergens/arena dust in the air. Phew.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Something I found interesting: about a month after switching to raw my current boy no longer gets tem. Ever. Makes you wonder.
Exactly, I don't believe a normal healthy dog with a good diet gets them. However, I don't believe most dogs get a good diet anymore, not really. Plus there are more environmental pollutants depending on where one lives.

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
IMO, it probably has a lot to do with the individual dog and perhaps the immediate environment.

I believe McCoy's diet is excellent. He gets Orijen (I vary the protein), mixed occasionally with Acana Wild Prairie. His add-ons include a variety of meat, organic yogurt, non fat cottage cheese, pureed pumpkin, frozen peas, frozen blue berries, organic apple sauce, eggs and the occasion table scrap. He also gets a fish oil supplement. Heck.... it costs almost as much to feed him as it does to feed me. LOL.

His coat and skin are great. His stools are regular and firm. Good developing musculature. He seems to do very well on this diet. Yet he still has eye goop every morning. His vet said it was a result of his rather deep set eyes and as long as they continued to be grey/clear, not to worry about it.

Just my thoughts,

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
My boy is now 2.5. And this is a brand new routine every morning & sometimes at night before bed- cleaning of the eyes.
it’s a clear thick mucus.

I have not changed his routine meal/diet- same foods, however I did add new treats.
I was only giving him bully sticks, but the knucklehead decided he wasn’t gonna chew the whole stick he’s going to start swallowing as much as he can without chewing Soooo I took away the bully sticks and substituted new treats.
I wonder if it’s the new treats.
I’m going to refrain from giving him any treats and stick to his meals and see if that makes a difference.
My vet, not being a nutritionalist suggested I bring him in to run blood test and allergy test - I told them- for now I’ll save my 500$ and eliminate anything new I have added to his diet and go from there.
If no one can say it’s contagious - well that’s the only thing I can think of.
He does play w/ other dogs, but I have yet to come across anyone who knows if it’s a contagious health issue or not.
So far the answers are “ Diet- Allergies”

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,869 Posts
Actually allergies to things in the environment happen much more often that true food allergies in dogs. Of course, if your dog was clear just a little while ago and only now has symptoms you may get lucky in ID'ing the culprit. But sometimes the dog is allergic to something that is seasonal (like people's hay fever) so it's possible that the change he is reacting to is actually some pollen or mold or whatever (though it is winter, so that might be unlikely.)

If you do decide to run a limited diet trial, you need to find a food that he has no symptoms with and then add protein sources one by one with a month or more between new foods.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I notice brief colour changes in eye goobers when my dog plays rough outside... They go from clear to whitish, and since I usually always find bits of dirt in them, I always assumed the colour was a reaction to getting stuff in his eyes. If this were persistent rather than sporadic, I would investigate further. As long as they're clear, I don't really worry...

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Eye boogers is and always has been a daily occurrence with my Dobers.
Clear, thick, white.....always been OK with my boys.
You have to be careful when removing. Meaning paper towels can be rough and irritate their tear ducts.
I use a Dry cotton ball.
And my favorite is to wash my hands and dry hands well. Then proceed to remove with my finger.
As long as my finger is dry it works good.
I seem to get the booger quicker with just using my finger to draw it out!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts