Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jada has been experiencing quite a bit of eye goo in her left eye lately. When she wakes up in the morning she has a lot of it in the corner. I know that it bothers her so I will get a tissue and wipe it out and I swear it seems like it is no time and she has more. Any suggestions on what this could be. T also had this in the spring and I just figured this was allergies as it went away when pollen season seemed to decrease.

Does any one else experience this with their "kids".

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Jada has been experiencing quite a bit of eye goo in her left eye lately. When she wakes up in the morning she has a lot of it in the corner. I know that it bothers her so I will get a tissue and wipe it out and I swear it seems like it is no time and she has more. Any suggestions on what this could be. T also had this in the spring and I just figured this was allergies as it went away when pollen season seemed to decrease.

I did when Rommel was younger. He doesnt get it anymore though. Rommels vet told me I could rinse his eye with Saline Solution, like for contacts.

If it is just kind of a clear or light color I wouldnt worry about it, but if it turns yellow or greenish, I would take her to the vet and have them look at it.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

Allergies of one kind or the other will definitely do this. Pollen, possibly. Razzle got goopy eyes when I switched her to different kinds of kibble other than Canidae...learned my lesson about that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
my pooch gets eye goo really bad its not pleasent! in morning big bubbles of it, i asked vet n he said could be pollen etc n advised me to give him anti-hystamines. also he rubs them alot in spring/summer usually on my leg wen i'm trying to walk!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had dobes for 20 years and it seems that they always get eye goo. I make it a part of our morning routine to wash their faces and get the goo out. If it is yellow or green then it is time for the vet to give us something to get rid of it. I feel that it is a way of getting rid of the junk that gets in their eyes and the goo collects it and holds it out of the way till it builds up and they dislodge it either by rubbing it on something or by rubbing their paw over their eye and dislodging it. Of course we as humans don't like seeing it and we clean it out for them. Other breeds sometimes have it and sometimes their eyes run and it leaves discoloration in the fur at the corner of the eyes. I hope this helps anyone that needs it. Just keep wiping the eye goo out.
Diane

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Rudi used to get the green goobers......until I switched him to Innova EVO. I think it was a total allergy with him and corn.wheat or the glutens........His smell, goobers and skin are much better without those in his food. Now he'll just get smaller clear goobers. Yum! Escpecially when he shakes them off and they end up on his forehead. LOL

Reactions: tjmom

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If the eye gunk continues throughout the day and your dog is constantly trying to paw at his eyes, then a trip to the vet may be in order. Unusual redness around the inside of the eye is also a sign. Java tends to get eye goop (worse when she was a pup) in the am, esp during allergy season (she sneezes as well) and with ragweed about to bloom, we're at the start of round two! Pink eye is VERY contagious - don't use the same tissue to clean both eyes as you can spread it from the infected eye to the healthy one. Can also be passed dog-to-dog - that's how Java got it as a puppy - or worse, dog-to-human! Wash your hands immediately afterwards so that you don't get it and dry using a paper towel - pink eye can exist on fabric towels, which means the next person who uses the towel and/or wipes their face with it can end up getting it.

I bought a dozen-pack of the inexpensive faceclothes you can pick up at Bed, Bath etc or Linens & Things, would rinse it under warm water and wipe Java's eyes with that in the am to remove the eye goop when she was a pup. Then toss it into the wash. The side benefit is that now she doesn't fuss if I need to wipe her face with a facecloth.

Sorry if I seem like I'm on a soapbox - had a really bad case of pink-eye that son brought home from school when he was small and I am now much more conscious of what I put near my eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts