Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old male Doberman pup I just got last thursday. When put in his crate he barks and yelps so loud.... one night for hours. I was trying to see how long he would do it for. I put water and plenty of toys in his crate. I also have a box in the back to make the area smaller. At this point we dont have him in the crate unless we are gone which hasn't been much between my girlfriend and I. I really dont want to stress the little guy out or make him feel un loved or abandoned
Is this normal am I doing something wrong? It is really loud the neighbors can hear him. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
It is normal and I agree with completely ignoring it. But, I will say I have been trying out a new method with my puppy raisers at work which I call "stuffing the crate". This works well for wire or plastic crates but if you have a wire crate, cover it with a light sheet or blanket first.
Then get one or even 2 old blankets, comforters, something big and soft and cozy and stuff it in the crate, making a nice little nest in the middle that the baby can curl up into. Seems to give them more security or maybe more of a littermate feeling, I don't know, but it sure works good so far! And not even one has eaten the bedding when fixed this way. Either way, good luck, crate training is hell! :)

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
YES.. its normal / dobe puppies are one of the smartest breeds, on the planet.
BUT - I proudly train to put the crate away (as soon as I can trust, the alone time)...so I am NOT A CRATE TRAINER.

We have an awesome & motivated son...many told us (co-workers) he should be put in his crib (as an infant) between 7-8 pm.
We tried it once, and the alligator tears flowed w/ full crying...for 10 minutes straight.
When we rescued him, from his mini. confinement, the veins on his neck & forehead were popping out .

From then on (our son)...he stayed up till 10:30 at night.
When he fell asleep on the loveseat (by himself)...we carried him to his bed (normally around 11:00).

Son grew up to be totally attached to Mom & Dad...I raise my current dog, the same way.
Crate or Cage is only pup temporary...in our house....learn to be an angle, crate goes away permanently (end of this wining).

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,088 Posts
It is normal and I agree with completely ignoring it. But, I will say I have been trying out a new method with my puppy raisers at work which I call "stuffing the crate". This works well for wire or plastic crates but if you have a wire crate, cover it with a light sheet or blanket first.
Then get one or even 2 old blankets, comforters, something big and soft and cozy and stuff it in the crate, making a nice little nest in the middle that the baby can curl up into. Seems to give them more security or maybe more of a littermate feeling, I don't know, but it sure works good so far! And not even one has eaten the bedding when fixed this way. Either way, good luck, crate training is hell! :)
Is this effective for older puppies? (10 weeks)
Sounds like a good idea :) I'd be afraid puppy would pee on the bedding.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a 12 week old male Doberman pup I just got last thursday. When put in his crate he barks and yelps so loud.... one night for hours. I was trying to see how long he would do it for. I put water and plenty of toys in his crate. I also have a box in the back to make the area smaller. At this point we dont have him in the crate unless we are gone which hasn't been much between my girlfriend and I. I really dont want to stress the little guy out or make him feel un loved or abandoned
Is this normal am I doing something wrong? It is really loud the neighbors can hear him. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
I think the key here is: "At this point we dont have him in the crate unless we are gone which hasn't been much between my girlfriend and I."

Whenever you crate him this means to him: "my mom and dad are leaving and im going to be in this box I have no idea what it is all alone until they are back". :( He is a baby and has no idea what a crate is, he just knows he gets left there sometimes. You need to play crate games with him, get him accustomed to being in the crate more often. Don't use it just to put him away when you cant watch him. Leave him alone a lot!! It teaches him to self sooth and not rely on you both too heavily.

Games: Start out by throwing treats inside the crate, let him walk in and get it. He will then come out right away probably, praise him and throw another treat in. Do this for a couple mins. After he keeps going back for more ( a couple days after the simple games): Throw treats in and then close the door on him for 10 seconds and praise him, let him out. Increase your time as you see fit, getting up to 20 seconds then 30 then one minute.

Feed him in the crate to get his denning instinct, and put him in the crate for like at least 2 hours a day when you are home so he can nap on his own. Don't baby him with the crate and definitely don't let him out when he whines, he will start to discover whining = dad coming to play with me and letting me out of this box thing.

You will not make him feel unloved, he is whining because, again, he is dumbfounded as to what is going on and naturally wants people around him cuddling him. You will create a monster trust me lol if you baby him. hope this helped! Do some more reading up on crate games and getting puppies adjusted.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That works like a charm. We bought 3 twin sized cheap comforters that have barely any stuffing in them. They are sooo light weight and Scarlet has never tried to eat them at all. We stuff all 3 in there and she even makes her little nest now being going to bed she pulls all her blankies over herself it's adorable.

But before she learned to make her own little nest.......
I used to tuck her in like this;)

Great Advice IncredibleDobe!!

& Sinister, don't be scared of puppy pee lol. She probably will pee in there a few times, that's why they are cheap comforters, easily washable. You can always put just 2 in there and have 1 or 2 to switch out quickly in case of an accident. Scarlet went through about a week of messing in her crate EVERY time we left her in there, we came back to a horrific sight everytime. We just kept washing and rotating blankets, not much more you can do about it.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Typically, the more you have in there the less they tend to toilet in the crate. So this works especially well for those puppy raisers who only have an adult size crate and too much space. I don't want my puppy raisers having to spend money on 2 crates when they already make such a HUGE donation raising these guys. With these lab and golden pups, toileting in the crate is a big issue which is why I am always looking for ways to help avoid it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I am having a bit of the same issues really with crating. We are doing the crate games suggested to build an affinity for it. I know this question will get various responses, but how long does it typically take for a puppy to get used to it. My boy is 12 weeks old and we have had him for 6 days now (I know, not that long). But...

1) Will this take days, weeks, months?

2) also very hard to reward him when he quiets down for 5 - 10 seconds, cause he doesnt really quiet down that long. I dont want to send him the wrong message you know. Any thoughts here?

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,446 Posts
Bella, who we started crating kind of late n the game (at 7 months) hates to be left alone, AT ALL! lol .. When we would leave before, we used to use a baby gate, and confine her to a small area in the hallway, the only area of the house where there was nothing she could destroy, or so we thought .. she found something .. baseboards, door frames .. the gate itself .. we tried leaving Nexus in with her, it didnt matter, she still whined so loud the neighbors heard her and chewed whatever she could reach.
She hates the crate, with a passion, when left alone in it, however when I am home, and the door is open, its her place to go. I have tried the leaving her in for a short time while I am home, she is ok if I am in the room, once I shut the door and leave the room, she waits a minute, to see if I am going to come back and when I dont the whining begins. She doesnt care to be quiet for a treat, she doesnt care if its a minute, an hour or several, she cries and doesnt shut up til I let her out. Then its all good again. She is velcroed to my hip and any separation is a horrible thing, she even whines when I shut the bathroom door at times.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
47 Posts
Totally normal. It sucks but it sounds like you're doing the right things. You just have to stay with it and stay patient, it will eventually get better.

The key is to make sure the pup is at least calm before you let them out. Gradually build up the duration you leave them in there even if they whine the entire time, the key is the ending though. Stand over them for as long as necessary to get them to calm down before they come out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I am having a bit of the same issues really with crating. We are doing the crate games suggested to build an affinity for it. I know this question will get various responses, but how long does it typically take for a puppy to get used to it. My boy is 12 weeks old and we have had him for 6 days now (I know, not that long). But...

1) Will this take days, weeks, months?

2) also very hard to reward him when he quiets down for 5 - 10 seconds, cause he doesnt really quiet down that long. I dont want to send him the wrong message you know. Any thoughts here?
depends on the dog. we started from day 1 crate training which was 9 weeks old, I think I recall her being ok with the crate around 16 weeks old.

why is it hard to reward him? What do u mean??
during crate games? or at at sleep time...?

·
Registered
42 Posts
with regards to rewarding him, much like the original poster, he does calm down long enough to let him out and reward him for doing so, at night really. I am under the impression you get him to calm down for a designated period of time, then open the crate and reward him, right? My trouble is that I am having to open the crate essentially while he is still crying. I dont get a prolonged period of calm out of him.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Thanks
I couldn't figure out from this if you are crating for bed, or not. If you are: where is the crate? Next to your bed is best. No water in the crate! Drinking means peeing. I take pains to crate puppies who are tired and ready to nap, at least initially... tired at night, tired when I need to shower or go to the store or whatever. I do not leave toys in there (except perhaps something to cuddle with)... I want crates to mean that it is time to settle down and go to sleep, not be awake. I would not be only crating when you leave... find other times to crate for short, relaxed periods of napping.

Be careful you are not apologizing or sympathizing when you crate your pup. Be careful you are not rescuing your pup or having an emotional reunion when you return and let your pup out. Everything needs to be calm and matter-of-fact. If your pup senses that you think it is awful, then it will be awful...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.