Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripley had obstruction surgery in September where they removed 10" of intestines. She's been fine till today.
Woke up fine went potty. Then we layed back down, I fell asleep and when I woke up she wasn't laying with me anymore. She was downstairs shaking with her tail tucked and whole body slumped. She had pooped on the rug, took her out and she pooped some more. All normal looking. Took her to the vet when they opened, did X-ray. They saw a fair amount of gas so the kept her there and did more X-rays a few hours later. They were happy with the amount of movement of the gas so I took her home. Still shaking, slumped, but still pooped a bit with farts. Drank water, hand fed her boiled chicken. She vomited everything, called vet. Said to give her smaller amounts and if still same in AM we'd do a barium test. Now she hasn't vomited again, but only had water. Her last poop was maybe a teaspoon of liquid. Several long farts though.
Could it be another obstruction? I checked the house and nothing seemed 'missing'. Her stomach is making noise as I write this. Not drooling. Just shaking and depressed look. Anybody had similar things with any dog? I feel so bad. Wish I knew if it was pain or more just yucky feeling. :confused:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I tend to think shaking like that could be pain. In any case, it is something to be concerned about.
I think some things don't show up in an xray...so depending on what he ate, if he ate something he shouldn't have...maybe it doesn't show up...but I don't have experience.

But I will post and bump this up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ripley slept thru the night good. She seems MUCH better. It did take a bit for her to come out of her cage. She peed fine and her nub started wagging. Ears and tail in more normal position, moving more quickly, drank water, gave her two pieces of chicken. She just got in her toy box and pulled out her antler. I've heard several farts as well. Shaking seems to be only coming in from the 27degree weather. I know it's a sign of fever and/or pain. Tried to push that with the vet. But she had know idea what was wrong, so she didn't want to give her anything. I guessing something happened to irritate her intestines or stomach. Not sure if dogs have problems with fish based foods, but she is eating TOTW fish for two weeks or so. Maybe start with changing that after her bland diet.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Glad to hear that she seems back to normal. I think I would keep her on chicken and rice for a couple to three days before reintroducing kibble. It wouldnt hurt to reintroduce the kibble slowly. I was going to ask if you just opened a new bag, as something could be wrong with it. Also, do you give her chicken jerky treats made in China? They are sickening and killing dogs. Glad to hear she feels better!:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, nothing from China. I either use the freeze dried meat treats, or homemade with gluten free flour, milled flaxseed, egg, water, and whatever flavor. My cousin posted on Facebook about the chicken jerky. I can't believe people buy that junk! You can find the freeze dried treats from the USA at a good price.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Glad to hear she's on the mend, seemingly. Hope all continues well.

I wondered about pancreatitis, as well, from the symptoms, or just general gastroenteritis.

I will say, I like some of the TOTW formulas, but my guys don't do well on the fish version, nor am I sure it doesn't contain ethoxyquin, so I don't use that one.

If that's a food change for her, maybe ditch it and go back to something she did better on, after her bland diet stage, of course.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
glad she is feeling better.

google and check out Slippery Elm Bark Powder.awesome for digestive tract issues of any kind.

Hugz to Ripley!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will say, I like some of the TOTW formulas, but my guys don't do well on the fish version, nor am I sure it doesn't contain ethoxyquin, so I don't use that one
I didn't know that was a possibility. No fish for sure.

Darkevs

google and check out Slippery Elm Bark Powder.awesome for digestive tract issues of any kind.
I was wanting to get her something for the digestive track, but there are so many. It's hard to know you've got the right one.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just need to mention that the TOTW website states their fish does not contain ethoxyquin. I dont like their fish formula as it is a cheaper food containing mostly unidentified fish. Unidentified meat proteins are cheap and never a good thing to see in an ingredient list. There are much better options out there. I particularly like Natures Variety Instinct Salmon, 70% meat after processing, and Acana Pacifica. My boy didnt do well on TOTW fish when I was forced to feed a bag, but many dogs do well on it. It is not as calorie dense as the foods I feed, so I had to feed more to maintain bodyweight. I would suggest you feed only foods that contain identified meats. That keeps out roadkill, euthanized animals from pounds, etc. Read the site I have below about learning how to choose a good dog food for help understanding dog food ingredient labels. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you go back to the vet, tell them to do some lab work including LFTs. My Lexie had these symptoms once. After labs, it was discovered her LFTs were elevated. Her urine was dark though.

For me, I always insist on lab work, even on well visits. Sometimes you can tell more from someones lab work than just a physical assessment. The blood don't lie!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Reactions: Ripley!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts