Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had better wake up calls...

Lexi woke up whining around 2am this morning, so i took her out of her cage and outside to pee...(her cage is in the bedroom with me)
She started whining again around 5:30am so I told her to go back to bed...she continued to whine for a few minutes...I was about to get out of bed again to take her out and then it happened...the sound of an almost empty ketchup bottle followed by the most wretched smell...

She had diarrhea all down the side of her cage, between the bars, on the floor, blankets...oh my....obviously my fault for not being quicker getting her outside again.

Anyway, I figured she had to of been done because I just had her out not long ago and there was a good amount of poop. So, I let her loose in the house as I start to clean the cage/bedroom, trying to keep my stomach down...(somehow the girlfriend is still sound asleep during this) :rolleyesww:

Lexi walks to the bathroom, poops.
She walks into the kitchen, poops.
She walks into the living room, poops.
and at some point she peed in the dining area.

I'm not sure what is going on...the last time she had diarrhea I thought it was because I put a little peanut butter in her kong and maybe she wasn't ready for that, so I stopped giving that to her and her poops started to harden back up.

Her stool sample came back with no issues from the vet and a clean bill of health aside from a slight infection in her eye which we've been giving her eye drops.

I try to watch her like a hawk during walks, most times I can avoid anything she may pick up, other times I am able to take objects out of her mouth before she swallows it, and sometimes it just happens so fast that it's impossible to know what she just picked up and to react fast enough....My house is clean so I am confident she hasn't eaten something from inside.

She's had on and off diarrhea since I got her and I don't understand why. Is this common for the breed? Did she possibly eat something from outside that has upset her tummy? Is performatrin puppy food not good for her?

The only other thing I have changed is the amount of food I give her. Figured she should be eating a little more. We were giving her a cup of food in the morning and a cup for dinner.
We changed that to add a half cup at lunch time as well.

Ugh, I still feel like I can smell the horror that came out of my puppy :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had to deal with the same issue with Roz. She gets practically no treats at this point. I went ahead and bought a bunch of the prescription canned food from my vet for when her stomach is upset, and I have to feed her that for longer than you would think. Like, after her stools go back to normal, I keep feeding her that food for at least another 2 full days and then start switching back over to her normal food. I've found that it is usually after she gets into something outside. Even the smallest thing seems to throw her off her poop-game. At first, though, I would feed her either boiled chicken and rice or the prescription food and then start switching her back the 2nd day after her poops were normal again, and then a few days later her poops would be loose again, so I've found that it is better to just feed the bland food for longer than I thought was necessary and now (knock on wood) she has been having good poops for a while.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Alice sometimes will have diarrhea but my pit bull he gets this way with certain foods. maybe you should try switching food and see if it helps if its been sort of chronic since you got her it may very well be her food

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Many, many puppies come home with Giardia http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_giardiasis#.Tu9G_lbfUkw
I remember Jasmine had diarrhea on and off for weeks and was not gaining much weight. She was tested three times for parasites. Finally as nothing else was suspected we treated her for giardia anyways. Instantly it cleared up. Giardia is very hard to see on slide. Please please go back to your vet with a stool sample! Talk to your vet about the possibility of this.

Also like what was mentioned in your other thread it could be the food just does not agree with her. I think some members including me suggested you try another food and possibly take her of puppy food. Performatrim is Pet Value's food, IMO there are many better foods out there. Especially at that price point.

Stomach issues due tend to be a problem in this breed. Many have sensitive guts so finding a food that works can be trial and error. Many of good luck with Pro Plan's sensitive skin and stomach.

In my opinion I would go back to the vet and talk to them about giardia!!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Dexter has a sensitive tummy and frequent diarrhea. His vet told me to give lamb kibble and lamb treats. I also bought an anti-diarrhea liquid to put in his food (forget the brand name, but it's for dogs).

It's helped, too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
UGH! I feel your pain! Dakota has a VERY sensitive stomach as well. Just last week I gave her a couple carrot chunks and next day had a destroyed area rug...BLECH. It could be the food, could be the treats she's getting, could be brought on by stress. If it's happening consistently and her stool sample was fine then it's likely something she's eating. I would try to figure it out by process of elimination. Stop giving her anything other than her regular kibble and see if the diarrhea persists. If so, it's time to try a different food. I had to try 3-4 different kinds before finding one that agreed with Dakota's stomach.

Just as an aside, canned pumpkin works wonders to firm up their poop (the real stuff, not pie filling). A heaping spoonful usually does the trick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reactions: Dave_L

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
In addition to what Okie-Dobie suggested (giardia or food brand is the immediate cause that comes to my mind as well), I've found probiotics to be extremely effective in preventing/fixing diarrhea. This is the product I use:

Amazon.com: Healthy Select Enzymes & Probiotics Dog Supplement: Pet Supplies

It really works, and fast too. Highly recommended.
Another really good product that many have success with is Best in Show http://pets4life.com/products/best-in-show-probiotic/ Most Global Pet Food stores carry it.

If you try the above or canned pumpkin or any stuff for diarrhea and it's not working I would suspect Giardia. However I wouldn't wait that long.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will grab her a bag of different food. Will check back on my other thread to see the suggestions for that. I stayed on the same food to try ruling out if it was maybe something she had eaten from outside, since her stools hardened up and things seemed well for a while. I'm almost 100% certain she hasn't eaten something bad from outside since her last episode of diarrhea.

The part that annoys me is, the vet asked me to get a sample of her poop, she said the runnier it is the better chance they can find bacteria etc. It was a few days before she went to the vet that her stools became hard again, I finally got a sample of one that was somewhat soft a few days after that appointment and took it to them immediately. It's now been roughly a week and a few days since the appointment and it starts back up again. I'll have to get another bottle from the vet and hope it doesn't harden back up again.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dexter has a sensitive tummy and frequent diarrhea. His vet told me to give lamb kibble and lamb treats. I also bought an anti-diarrhea liquid to put in his food (forget the brand name, but it's for dogs).

It's helped, too.
I did have her on a lamb type of dry kibble. Although the same brand of food.
Performatrin has a lamb+rice and chicken+rice that I found on the shelf, so I figured I could switch back and forth between them so she could have some variation in her meals.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am so so LUCKY that Kira has a cast iron stomach... LUCKY...

I love reading as many of the Doberman health posts as possiable to learn.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I will grab her a bag of different food. Will check back on my other thread to see the suggestions for that. I stayed on the same food to try ruling out if it was maybe something she had eaten from outside, since her stools hardened up and things seemed well for a while. I'm almost 100% certain she hasn't eaten something bad from outside since her last episode of diarrhea.

The part that annoys me is, the vet asked me to get a sample of her poop, she said the runnier it is the better chance they can find bacteria etc. It was a few days before she went to the vet that her stools became hard again, I finally got a sample of one that was somewhat soft a few days after that appointment and took it to them immediately. It's now been roughly a week and a few days since the appointment and it starts back up again. I'll have to get another bottle from the vet and hope it doesn't harden back up again.
Dave it doesn't matter if the poop is runny or hard. It does not go on to the slide hard.

But remember puppies can have Giardia and it can go unnoticed on a slide. That's why I said we ended up treating Jasmine anyways. Another real possiblity is coccidia Coccidia (Coccidiosis) in Dogs: A Cause of Diarrhea and if I remember right, it's been 5 years Jasmine also had this.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave it doesn't matter if the poop is runny or hard. It does not go on to the slide hard.

But remember puppies can have Giardia and it can go unnoticed on a slide. That's why I said we ended up treating Jasmine anyways. Another real possiblity is coccidia Coccidia (Coccidiosis) in Dogs: A Cause of Diarrhea and if I remember right, it's been 5 years Jasmine also had this.
I see. Well thank you for your plethora of information! I will ask the vet about those when I go to pick up another stool bottle today. I should probably figure out how to pronounce the words properly first ;)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I see. Well thank you for your plethora of information! I will ask the vet about those when I go to pick up another stool bottle today. I should probably figure out how to pronounce the words properly first ;)

Giardia = jar

Coccidia = cock

·
Registered
716 Posts
QUOTE=Dave_L;1017627]lucky indeed. nothing better than starting off a Monday with a fresh smell of diarrhea blasted up your nose.[/QUOTE]

Aww poor Dave and poor dober with diarrhea :sick:[

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I was going to ask about coccidia before OD brought it up. We had a terrible time with Sadie dealing with bouts of this when she was a puppy. It came and went, just like you describe. Maybe a good dose of antibiotics will clear it up.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea it's brutal. If only it smelled like gingerbread or something.

and go figure, I get a new vial to take a sample of the pudding and her stools are solid again.

:screama:

·
Registered
463 Posts
yup i second the Giardia. I went through a horrible night with my girl like that just recently and it was Giardia. We were in the process of switching her foods, and thought the new one might have been too rich. we were taking a few weeks to switch over, and that maybe her tummy wasn't handling it well? But one day her poops got really bad and decided we should go to the vet. She tested positive, they can tell you in about an hour. We were put on antibiotics, and wet food for two days, while slowly incorporating kibble on the second day. Good luck! I would definitely get a fecal test done.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Been there before. Two years ago we were at my parents and I had Porsche in her crate, I woke up to use the washroom in the middle of the night and noticed a disgusting smell. Well Porsche had vomited and had pooped (liquid diarrhea) in her crate and it was all over her as well.

The vet put it down to her probably drinking out of a puddle at the park the previous day. Within 24 hours she was fine.

As for me, giving your dog a bath at 2am and scrubbing base boards behind the crate was not the highlight of that year lol.

Hope Lexi feels better soon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts