Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time I did it right (thanks to reading here) and I'm looking at puppies from a recommended breeder. I am going to do obedience and probably try agility. She has 2 pups in mind, but just wanted some second opinions since they are different personality-wise. Keep in mind this is for family pet first, obedience/agility second.

I'll have to post pics when I get home but 1 is very independent and ok playing with a toy by herself. The other came right up and sat on my lap almost the whole time I was there. I want to make sure this dog will have the confidence and outgoing personality to go every where and do classes.

Thanks!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
well if you have chosen your breeder........................let them make the decision for you......they should know best which puppy will suit your wants and needs.

good luck with your upcoming puppy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know she will tell me which dog she thinks is best. I was just wondering what others thought about aloofness or wanting to be right with you. I bribe more responses with pics :)

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Congrats! My agility destined pup played tug very vigorously with me at 8wks old, and like any good puppy was pretty mad about food, she was also not too bothered by visual and noise stimulus (didn't get frightened by them) . You can increase toy drive in your dog, susan garrett is a great tresource for this, and schutzhund websites also have good stuff for bringing out that drive if you are at all worried about it. I'm sure if you have a good breeder s/he will pick out an awesome pup for you, theb its up to you to bring out all that potential with good, fun training and lots of great socialization!

Sorry for typos.. am on my phone

Reactions: shinske

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats! My agility destined pup played tug very vigorously with me at 8wks old, and like any good puppy was pretty mad about food, she was also not too bothered by visual and noise stimulus (didn't get frightened by them) . You can increase toy drive in your dog, susan garrett is a great tresource for this, and schutzhund websites also have good stuff for bringing out that drive if you are at all worried about it. I'm sure if you have a good breeder s/he will pick out an awesome pup for you, theb its up to you to bring out all that potential with good, fun training and lots of great socialization!

Sorry for typos.. am on my phone
The breeder said the aloof one is not food motivated, but is toy motivated. Do you think a dog that wants to be with you would be more apt to want to do everything please you? Where as an independent dog may have her own agenda? We're going back again Thursday to visit and see how they react this week (they'll be cone heads!). I can't wait.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The breeder said the aloof one is not food motivated, but is toy motivated. Do you think a dog that wants to be with you would be more apt to want to do everything please you? Where as an independent dog may have her own agenda? We're going back again Thursday to visit and see how they react this week (they'll be cone heads!). I can't wait.
I would choose the one that sat in your lap.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would pick the one that wants to interact with you. You need that to do any kind of work with the dog. Tell her to put the other one in a pet home where they have less expectations as far as performance. When a dog just wants to do their own thing, it's very frustrating to try to train them. I would be seriously pissed at any breeder who tried to sell me such a pup, knowing that I wanted to do performance stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses. I know she had a reason for thinking of the more independent pup when I first explained what I was looking for. I just cant think of what it was. Maybe because I stressed confidence. Anyway that was before I met the puppies and she saw how interested the other one was in me. She even ran a little obstacle course of jumping chair support bars and crawling under another to show off. Too cute!

·
Registered
675 Posts
This time I did it right (thanks to reading here) and I'm looking at puppies from a recommended breeder. I am going to do obedience and probably try agility. She has 2 pups in mind, but just wanted some second opinions since they are different personality-wise. Keep in mind this is for family pet first, obedience/agility second.

I'll have to post pics when I get home but 1 is very independent and ok playing with a toy by herself. The other came right up and sat on my lap almost the whole time I was there. I want to make sure this dog will have the confidence and outgoing personality to go every where and do classes.

Thanks!
A few weeks ago I watched a documentary on the Origin of Dogs

They studied Wolves, Dingos and the African Wild Dogs.

There is a man in England who has raised a Wolf Pack and is considered part of the Pack his position in the Pack is Mediator. He intermingles with the Wolves including eating Raw Meat with them Aarg.

When the Man doing the documentary visited he called the Wolves and they all came only One; however, checked out the new Man. It was explained that this was the Dominant Wolf

The man who raised the Wolves then went on to explain that just as with Wolves the Puppies that come up to you immediately to check you out would be considered the Dominant Puppy. I was shocked I had never thought of Puppies that way. Of course Wolves and Puppies/Dogs are not the same but it was interesting.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
The man who raised the Wolves then went on to explain that just as with Wolves the Puppies that come up to you immediately to check you out would be considered the Dominant Puppy. I was shocked I had never thought of Puppies that way. Of course Wolves and Puppies/Dogs are not the same but it was interesting.
It was the same with the giant schnauzer litter I helped with, the puppies that ran up to you first and "loved" new people were the bossiest, most out-going puppies and at 5 months, are the most difficult pups! The quietest boy who many would have called "independent" because he wasn't right up in your face when you met him was actually very sweet, very gentle, very loving and is the same now... He is MUCH easier to train than the bossy puppy (who everyone wanted because he was the first in your lap when you got there and they all said "ooh he loves me and picked me!"... sorry but he did that to EVERY person he met!!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the same with the giant schnauzer litter I helped with, the puppies that ran up to you first and "loved" new people were the bossiest, most out-going puppies and at 5 months, are the most difficult pups! The quietest boy who many would have called "independent" because he wasn't right up in your face when you met him was actually very sweet, very gentle, very loving and is the same now... He is MUCH easier to train than the bossy puppy (who everyone wanted because he was the first in your lap when you got there and they all said "ooh he loves me and picked me!"... sorry but he did that to EVERY person he met!!)
The breeder said she didn't go up to the other people who have been visiting, but who knows. I would prefer more confident and outgoing tho.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There is a man in England who has raised a Wolf Pack and is considered part of the Pack his position in the Pack is Mediator. He intermingles with the Wolves including eating Raw Meat with them Aarg.

When the Man doing the documentary visited he called the Wolves and they all came only One; however, checked out the new Man. It was explained that this was the Dominant Wolf
I read a book about this guy-he has some interesting theories about pack behavior. However, he didn't say the wolf who is the first to explore is the dominant animal, in the sense it's the alpha animal. The beta is the one to explore-the alpha is too valuable to be put at risk like this.

Here's a link to the book, it's really fascinating. http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Lives...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1331688504&sr=1-1

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
When picking out a pup I never pick the first, pushy pup that greets me and I never pick the one that's indifferent to me being around..... Have you met the whole litter? I would pick a less pushy, more laid back pup... JMO

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When picking out a pup I never pick the first, pushy pup that greets me and I never pick the one that's indifferent to me being around..... Have you met the whole litter? I would pick a less pushy, more laid back pup... JMO
I did meet all 12 pups. Then they put all away except for the two they thought would work and the parents. I wouldn't say the one was pushy. She just wanted to be by me.

If I don't feel right about either on Thurs, I will just keep looking. Lots of puppies this time of year!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I did meet all 12 pups. Then they put all away except for the two they thought would work and the parents. I wouldn't say the one was pushy. She just wanted to be by me.

If I don't feel right about either on Thurs, I will just keep looking. Lots of puppies this time of year!
Can I just say I love that you said that! Thank you for waiting and wanting the trully right puppy for you!

I don't believe puppies pick you, but you do know when it's the right fit.

The two puppies my boss kept from last springs litter, for me one could care less what I have or am doing and is off on her own, the other kills me with love and is undeniably willing and eager to do all I ask, and vice versa for my boss. It was the same as young pups, the one that could care less of me was the leader of the pack, first to explore the whole of the yard, first to bark at strange noises and people and sound the alarm, climb the mini a-frame, and etc... while the other has always played with litter mates but kept an eye on and stayed close to me.
Sometimes things change once the puppy is yours and only has you and sometimes the puppy is the same throughout their young impressionable weeks. Just because one was more aloof doesn't mean that once all yours she wouldn't have good drive and be a great agility dog, she just may not have a reason to care right now the same way one doesn't for me unless I bring out the food or a toy(provided all the others are picked up lol).

Test out how each alone follows you around with and without toys and how they respond to asking them to come and go around and under things like tables and brooms. How they deal with life and fake agility situations basically. And like you said your breeder will also ultimately know who's best based on personality and watching you and each pup interact with each other.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I read a book about this guy-he has some interesting theories about pack behavior. However, he didn't say the wolf who is the first to explore is the dominant animal, in the sense it's the alpha animal. The beta is the one to explore-the alpha is too valuable to be put at risk like this.

Here's a link to the book, it's really fascinating. Amazon.com: The Man Who Lives with Wolves eBook: Penny Junor, Shaun Ellis: Kindle Store
Could be but in the Documentary he said the Wolf that came to check the New Human was the Dominant Wolf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts