Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase some exercise pens to set up outside my rv/trailer when I go camping or to a few shows. What gauge metal do the ex pens need to be to be sturdy enough for Dobes? Or, if you don't know what gauge the metal needs to be do you know a brand that's heavy duty?

Thanks.

KC/Linda

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I use this exact ex-pen: Midwest Black E-Coat Ex Pen

I think if I had to leave them I'd just crate my dogs. I don't know that I've seen an ex-pen I would trust to keep a dog contained no matter what. Plus I just wouldn't want to leave my dogs out for passers-by to interact with. But it works perfectly when we go camping and I want to contain them for a bit outdoors while I'm with them (like messing with the campfire, setting up the tent, etc. - things that need my attention and might distract me from seeing them wander off or tangle up a long-line).

It's a decent size one but I plan to buy a second one this summer so I can attach the 2 and make a bigger pen. In the one I linked there's room enough for both my girls to stand up, move around, and lay down though.

ETA...I have model #556-42

Reactions: Adara and KCFilley

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use this exact ex-pen: Midwest Black E-Coat Ex Pen

I think if I had to leave them I'd just crate my dogs. I don't know that I've seen an ex-pen I would trust to keep a dog contained no matter what. Plus I just wouldn't want to leave my dogs out for passers-by to interact with. But it works perfectly when we go camping and I want to contain them for a bit outdoors while I'm with them (like messing with the campfire, setting up the tent, etc. - things that need my attention and might distract me from seeing them wander off or tangle up a long-line).

It's a decent size one but I plan to buy a second one this summer so I can attach the 2 and make a bigger pen. In the one I linked there's room enough for both my girls to stand up, move around, and lay down though.

ETA...I have model #556-42
Do they seem sturdy? I'm planning to buy three sets and attach to the awning rail on my rv. I might use a t post to stabilize them somewhat. I won't leave the dogs unattended but it might be good to open the camper door and let them go outside to pee one at a time vs walking all three.

Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have one similar to the one bwr1982 linked, but with a gate. It was not really "sturdy" enough to keep my two foster puppies (20-25 lbs) contained very well. However I have it on some vinyl flooring on top of carpet and it does not stay in place very well and since they are not trained they jump up on the sides and slide it all around.

I think if:
A: you aren't leaving them unsupervised, like you said
B: they have good boundaries and won't try to jump on it; and
C: you can secure it so that it won't move all around (I'm thinking in grass that might be better)

Then attaching those together would be a great idea for camping. I never thought to do that, so thanks for the idea! We haven't taken Rowan camping before, but i do love it so maybe something to think about.

Good luck!

Reactions: KCFilley

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have never really found one xpen more sturdy then the next. I think the biggest thing is getting the tallest possible for adults. And teaching them from the start to not jump on them. Always keep a eye on them b/c no matter how big or small the dog they can easily flip them over. Or if their really creative try climbing up them which makes them fall over as well! :D

But their great for pottying multiple dogs at once.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never really found one xpen more sturdy then the next. I think the biggest thing is getting the tallest possible for adults. And teaching them from the start to not jump on them. Always keep a eye on them b/c no matter how big or small the dog they can easily flip them over. Or if their really creative try climbing up them which makes them fall over as well! :D

But their great for pottying multiple dogs at once.
Thanks. That's exactly what I want to use them for.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yes, the height is what you need to be concerned about. I had a dog jump from a standstill out of a 42" one. Maybe some kind of netting run from the top of the RV to the front of the pen would be a visual deterent to discourage that.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the height is what you need to be concerned about. I had a dog jump from a standstill out of a 42" one. Maybe some kind of netting run from the top of the RV to the front of the pen would be a visual deterent to discourage that.
Good idea. I'm planning to put it under my awning but there would probably still be a portion uncovered.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Do they seem sturdy? I'm planning to buy three sets and attach to the awning rail on my rv. I might use a t post to stabilize them somewhat. I won't leave the dogs unattended but it might be good to open the camper door and let them go outside to pee one at a time vs walking all three.

Thank you for the link.
Not sturdy enough to keep a Dobe contained if they really want out, no. Both my girls are good in it though. They'd probably plan their escape if I put them in it and left them but they're fine with how I use it. Otherwise they usually just stand there and wait for me or if it's pretty warm out they'll lay down and nap for a bit while I'm busy.

Reactions: KCFilley
1 - 9 of 9 Posts