Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends! Now neutered, my 1.5-y-old had his 3rd visit to a reputable doggie daycare in as many weeks. First two visits went great (good eval + he was good & tired, as expected). This week, he went from being tired the evening of his outing, to really sore, to today -- not being able to stand up! Clearly there's a front leg soreness and back leg stiffness.

Promptly took him to vet and got multiple xrays -- no signs of pano or HOD (we had once earlier life had a possible pano dx but no signs on xrays tonight). Absent that, assuming general muscle/skeletal issue/pull/soreness from 8 hours of hearty play.

So we're on pain meds & anti-inflammatories. *Very* pleased there's nothing insidious on xrays - but part of me can't help but wonder -- seems extreme for a young adult to be so sore that two days after his playdate (with a lot of older farts that do okay :)) he can barely get up.

So will cut down on daycare hours ... and love my vets .... but very interested in the dobie wisdom provided here and wondering if anyone has had similar experiences that could help assure me. Thank you!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I think a half day is plenty for most dogs. 8 hours of play is a long time, esp if you are bringing him multiple times during the week. I've worked at dog daycares for many years and have definitely seen some dogs with stiffness and soreness in their legs after their first couple of days. There are some dogs who just don't stop and there are times when I've had to put those ones on crate rest to chill out for a bit. Did the daycare say that he tripped or collided with any of the other dogs? That can jam them up for a bit too. At the last daycare I worked at there was a woman who brought her black lab puppy for full days monday through friday. Their dog basically turned to mush when it went home and all he wanted to do was lay around and not be active at all, they couldn't even really train with him...poor pup was so out of it. No bueno. We kept trying to tell them that it was just too much for the pup..

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Did the vets check your dogs CK, and AST levels before putting him on pain meds? It does sound like he over did it with all the playing, and his body is telling him to stop. I would wait a good week before letting him off leash, just because by the sounds of it (you said he couldnt get up?) he got some Rhabdomyolysis going on. Check his urine every time he goes potty, if you see it turning a little brown, take him back to the vets ASAP.

Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
What kind of surface do they have at the daycare? Check the pads of the feet. Bruising or scraping the pads on the feet can be extremely painful. I trained on frozen ground the other day, and Bacci's pads were sore. He was hopping around for about 4-5 days like he had a broken leg, and then by about 10 days we were back to training. (He was walking normal sooner than that, but I read that it can take up to 10 days for full recovery, so I waited a bit longer.) I know it was from sore feet because my friend also trained her two dogs outside. All three dogs were limping the next day. We were training on a field with grass!! I guess the running and turning, etc. was a bit much on their "indoor" feet. My dogs live inside and we always train outside on grass, in mud, etc. I never really thought how sensitive the feet could be when the ground is frozen. (There was no snow/ice.. just a cold morning!) When our dogs' feet were sore, they just wanted to lay around all day and didn't really want to be on their feet for long. I also knew it was the pads of the feet because I could touch, squeeze, bend, and manipulate the legs, paws, etc. I could pet the top of the feet with no problem. As soon as I touched the bottom of the foot, however, my dog quickly yanked the foot away and tried to quickly get away from me. One time he even gave a little whine/yelp when I touched the pad... and I BARELY touched it at all.

Reactions: Mateo and Q734

·
Registered
276 Posts
At the last daycare I worked at there was a woman who brought her black lab puppy for full days monday through friday.
Everybody do that here in Sweden. At least it's very normal. All the daycares mostly sell "full packages" which includes full week care monday to friday. Though I doubt they let the dogs run around and play all day. There is plenty of rest time. I think it's illegal here to let your dog be alone for more than 4 hours or something so many people that work far away from home will use this option.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Everybody do that here in Sweden. At least it's very normal. All the daycares mostly sell "full packages" which includes full week care monday to friday. Though I doubt they let the dogs run around and play all day. There is plenty of rest time. I think it's illegal here to let your dog be alone for more than 4 hours or something so many people that work far away from home will use this option.
Some dogs can't handle it though, that was my point. I think it's better for a lot of dogs to go either mon-wed-fri or tues-thurs. The body needs a break, mon-fri full day daycare is a lot of stress on the bones and joints of a really active dog that doesn't slow down and could go all day. At the daycares I've worked at, a full day is 8-9 hours of play with a 2 hour rest period.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some dogs can't handle it though, that was my point. I think it's better for a lot of dogs to go either mon-wed-fri or tues-thurs. The body needs a break, mon-fri full day daycare is a lot of stress on the bones and joints of a really active dog that doesn't slow down and could go all day. At the daycares I've worked at, a full day is 8-9 hours of play with a 2 hour rest period.
Yes I agree with you and did not question your post. I just posted to tell about the difference between the dog culture in our countries as some people might find it interesting to hear about. It sounded like it was not very normal where you live. But now this is getting off topic so I will just shut up :p

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
conditioning

I also think it's a matter of conditioning. If a dog is conditioned to it and time is built up gradually, I imagine they would be able to handle it day after day and would learn to just zonk out and take a nap when they are exhausted. (Their bodies, muscles, etc. would also adjust to the more active day-to-day activities.) For dogs who aren't used to it, all of a sudden having 8 hours of play time day after day could definitely be a bit too much. I'm sure a lot of us have gone out and done some kind of sport, lifted weights, etc. when we weren't properly conditioned and did way too much... Then what happened the next day? Our muscles were KILLING us! It hurt to stand, walk, go up the stairs, etc. Dogs can experience the same thing with their muscles too. After I ran my first marathon, the next day, OMG, my body was sooo sore. I could barely walk up and down steps. It was sooo very painful.

Reactions: lelise

·
Registered
826 Posts
my girl went to daycare until she came home with bleeding and bruised paw pads. The surface was a rubbery one and clearly the owners let her play all day when I specifically said she needed 'quiet time' she was only a pup then. I do not know if I quite trust doggy daycare's anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts