Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good sugestions for a good workout plan for my boy? Hes 2 years old and I think hes getting a bit fat... I can poke his belly lol. We just started to run in the mornings, about 4 miles. Then we go on a walk around 12, then go to the dog park around 5. I think he needs to be put on a diet. But I am really wanting him to lean out. Any sugestions?

:thanx:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'm a big fan of hiking. Ivan's already getting used to carrying a backpack, so when he's old enough he'll have some weight to go along with it. We've also just started playing fetch in the water. Hopefully a lot of fectch and swimming are in our future.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
When I'm wanting to get one of my guys into show shape, I'll bike with them. You don't want them galloping, but instead a nice trot as the trot will build muscle. Depending on what you're feeding and how much to your boy, you could cut back a bit, but I'd wait on that since you've now started jogging with him to see if that will have any effect on his weight. :)

Jan

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
sand running and swimming....great low impact and resistance exercise, which is great for developing muscle. I also used to run my boy off lead at the local horse track which had lovely soft sprung grass surface, and even football ovals. But the best muscle work was beach running.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When I'm wanting to get one of my guys into show shape, I'll bike with them. You don't want them galloping, but instead a nice trot as the trot will build muscle. Depending on what you're feeding and how much to your boy, you could cut back a bit, but I'd wait on that since you've now started jogging with him to see if that will have any effect on his weight. :)

Jan
I agree with Jan to wait and see with the increased morning exercise. If weight continues to be a problem then I would look to a lower caloric intake food rather than decreasing the volume he gets. While I am certainly no expert with SA, almost any animal and especially dogs will be more content and more likely to settle on a full stomach. In your situation, if I had to cut back volume after trying a lower caloric (less fat) food, it would not be for the morning meal where you have to leave and need him to settle. Dogs are just more likely to settle if they are full!

Here is the link to the food and feeding section here on DT. LindaH, really keeps up on dog food and feeding.

Food and Feeding - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I second the "hills" vote! When we had our girl in PT they had a treadmill, with super steep incline. Wears them out quickly, and by the end of the 6 weeks her back legs were RIPPED. Well, lopsided too but that's due to the injury ;)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have my boy run up hills and that has built his muscle really well, oh and swimming. I bought my boy a life vest and take him swimming, its a great low impact way to lose weight and gain muscle.

Reactions: Marieldobes
1 - 14 of 14 Posts