Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, today was a little hotter than it's been the last few weeks and I couldn't keep the dogs out as long as usual. I know we are in for a brutal summer...

I was just wondering what y'all do in the summer with your dogs and how do you keep them cool. Do you save playtime for early morning and evening or just keep shorter sessions throughout the day?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Morning and evening for us, unless we're at the beach and they can go in the water to cool off. My Pug can die easily if overheated, not a risk I'm willing to take.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I was just wondering what y'all do in the summer with your dogs and how do you keep them cool. Do you save playtime for early morning and evening or just keep shorter sessions throughout the day?

Thanks.
I have to *drag* my dogs outside during the heat of the day here in southern CA..they're pretty dedicated to the air conditioned house during those times. So playtime is as you said-early morning or in the evening.
Usually by 9:00 am or so it's too hot for the dogs to be out running around here in the summer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For serious exercise, we do it in the early morning (like 5-6 am) or late evenings. During the day, he still likes to go out for about 15 minutes at a time. Not very long though, but frequent short running/playing.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
We do the morning-evening thing too.

If it gets so bad that even I can't stand it, I take them to either the mountains or the beach where the temps are much cooler, even in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
we just go outside whenever...for harder play...when its really hot...I will fill up the kiddy pool and well go inside when I see they are done playing. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
This is our summer schedule.
Early morning (5-6 a.m.) Early evening. (mosquitos are getting bad now though.) Rest of the day they follow me outside when I go. I haven`t brought out the kiddy pool yet though but probably will this week.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
We do most of our heavy activity in the early morning and later evening. We go until the sun starts to set and mosquitoes start to get thick. We do somethings outside during the daytime, but not much. It is usually short durations that I watch them with lots of water to cool down. The most that they like to do it the daytime hours is either lay out or sit in the shade of the apple tree and get some fresh air. They like to lounge in the air conditioning and be pampered mostly.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
During summer we do early morning or later afternoon. If we do take the kids to the DP during mid day we just don't stay as long as they get wore out quicker.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Up here in the Mojave desert there's really no choice. Even the morning is 90 degrees plus. They just have to grin and bear it and drink lots of water.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
rah just plays in the pool a lot. wind, rain, snow, monsoon, deathly hot heat, nothing stops the rahminator.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
super early am or late pm - Phoenix summers - when the night time temps don't drop below 90 - the only time she is out is if she has to potty. She does have a play pool that she likes but as she has gotten older she is happy to sleep on the cool tile in the air conditioned house :) Late nights sometimes don't work for walks because the pavement or sidewalks don't cool off enough.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
If we do exercise in the heat, I always make sure I have plenty of water around and have shorter exercise sessions. I gage it by the how far the tongue is hanging out of her mouth as a refernce point.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
super early am or late pm - Phoenix summers - when the night time temps don't drop below 90 - the only time she is out is if she has to potty. She does have a play pool that she likes but as she has gotten older she is happy to sleep on the cool tile in the air conditioned house :) Late nights sometimes don't work for walks because the pavement or sidewalks don't cool off enough.
We were in Az for swim meets and your right about the pavement. No bare foot walks thats for sure. i forgot all about that until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I prefer to take Java out to the DP in the am (before noon) during the hottest summer days, with a gallon jug of water in tow. Amazing how many people don't bring water to the park during the summer months. (We're in northern NJ - the humidity can be brutal). When she gets home to the AC, she's just as happy to spread out on the cool slate floor in the mud room.

Her fenced-in area gets some shade, so it's a perfect place to set up her pool and/or put on the sprinkler for her. She could bite the shooting water for hours and is tired and wet but cool when playtime's over.

Actually prefer to have her play in the yard when it's really hot - the smell at the DP during a dry spell can be unpleasant.

·
Registered
399 Posts
stella is real prissy when it comes to weather, she wont get her feet wet on grass after it rains and prefers to stare outside than be outside in the houston summer, i usually take her mountain biking with me when its dry, its still hot in the forest but the shade helps a lot, i always take a couple of gallons of water for both of us, normally take a break after every run through the trail and give her water. i try to avoid evening runs mainly because of the massive amount of mosquitoes that inhabit the gulf coast

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here in AZ, Norman gets along fine in even the hottest of weather. We have gone hiking and climbing on some really hot ones. I just make sure to give him water every time I stop for a drink, and cool off his doberbrain with some water over the head, neck, and chest every 15 -20 minutes or so. I took a "Dry Fit" Nike moisture wicking shirt and cut it kinda like a tube top to go around his neck. That fabric once wet will remain wet for hours even in the sun, and even the slightest breeze turns it ice cold. It works very well. You can find the Dry fit stuff at ross/marshalls/tj max. for about $10. Hey if you're going to cut it up anyway, who cares if the sleeves aren't the same length. lol
Last but not least, don't forget the odorless/perfume less waterproof Bullfrog spf50 for that dobernose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts