Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 4 days ago, I began switching my boy from Canidae ALS to TOTW pacific stream (he has very bad allergies, and does not do well with chicken or lamb). 2 days ago I noticed he was drinking alot more than usual but had no more symptoms. As of yesterday, he was drinking excessively, urinating excessively and would NOT come into the house until he atleast tried to pee multiple times. He would pee in the first spot for around 2 minutes straight, and by the end of it, little to nothing would come out. He is a male and does usually mark his territory, but he seemed to be in pain. Then when we were in the house, I was putting him, turned my head for two seconds and he began peeing all over the room. His last owners beat the tarr out of him for going to the bathroom inside, so he immediately freaked and hid in bed. It was obvious that he had a viable reason to urinate right then.

Per a vet friend's advice I gave him a little bit of salt and an aspirin last night. I have kept his water bowl full nonstop for the past 14 hours (I was up all night studying) And I took him out to pee every hour. Since around 7 am besides acting a little groggy in the morning, he has been perfectly fine. I had planned on taking him to the vet this morning, but now I am wondering if I still should? His pee is completely normal today, smells like it usually does, no blood, no pain, nothing. Yesterday for both meals, he had a half cup of the new food with a 1.5 cup old food. This morning, I cut the old food back a bit. Would that small amount of food be able to do something like that? It is a slightly higher protein, slightly higher calcium (hypercalcemia causes PU/PA) and vitamin D, Perhaps I got a bad bag of food with too much vitamin D or something?

Other than the urination, his stools for the past few days have been perfectly fine. His normal gas has actually gone away for the most part, and he hasn't shown any other symptoms of food sensitivity.

As I said before, he is now perfectly fine, he is currently wrestling our 4 month old pit mix lol which I'm trying to upload at the moment and he certainly is not acting like he was all day yesterday. My question is should I be concerned with an underlying renal or bladder disease? Or could it have been something that just ran through his system? Thanks :)

HTML:

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I'll start off by saying that, yes, I'm a little paranoid from my recent experiences....but I would take him to the vet just to rule things out. Specifically I'd ask for a full blood panel to check up on his liver.
Zil's first symptoms were inappropriate urination and increased thirst and were exacerbated by a higher protein feed...and I wish I had a full panel done when he first showed these symptoms and caught it much earlier. Your boy may just have had a localised irritation so don't panic....but like I said...I'd be wanting to rule other things out just in case.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Yes, I would still go to the vet.

Reactions: Asmit

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll start off by saying that, yes, I'm a little paranoid from my recent experiences....but I would take him to the vet just to rule things out. Specifically I'd ask for a full blood panel to check up on his liver.
Zil's first symptoms were inappropriate urination and increased thirst and were exacerbated by a higher protein feed...and I wish I had a full panel done when he first showed these symptoms and caught it much earlier. Your boy may just have had a localised irritation so don't panic....but like I said...I'd be wanting to rule other things out just in case.
What was Zil's prognosis? I'm certainly not ruling anything out, just want to monitor him at home while he's still showing normal symptoms, so I can get a better idea of how long this is actually happening. He has a vet visit scheduled next week to run tests, but since he is no longer showing any symptoms, it did not need to be treated as an emergency.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Zil had liver disease and sadly passed last month.

full blood work ups every year are a sensible way to catch lots of things before they become serious problems and I would highly recommend them for every dobe owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excessive drinking... tests done, now pointing to possible cancer...

Hi Asmit,

I just read your post and feel compelled to reply on it. My dog Lexi has had excessive thirst now for about 2 weeks. Last Friday I took her to the vet after calling and asking if the excessive thirst was something to look into. They said yes, but it could be any of 30 different things and suggested a blood panel.

Friday we did the blood panel, and on Saturday when I received the results she had the following:

1. Liver enzymes elevated
2. Protein level - globulin elevated
3. Calcium elevated

My doctor said the following:

1. Liver enzymes: Hers are actually down from where they were 6 months ago but they are at 366. Previously they were 1300 at the highest, then have gone down from there.

2. Protein level - This elevated globulin is a sign of either chronic inflammation or cancer. Normal value is 4.5, Lexi's value is 6.2.
He recommended we do another test called "Protein Electrophoresis" which would determine *which* of the proteins were elevated. If all proteins are elevated, then it's inflammation, if it's only 1, then it's a possibility of cancer. We did this test, and she is showing only 1 protein elevated. This test shows "Monoclonal Gammopathy". (Meaning only 1 protein is elevated - more signs of cancer). Polyclonal gammopathy would be signs of a chronic bacterial infection or inflammation.

3. Elevated Calcium - Dr. recommended doing an *Ionized Calcium Level* test. We did this. This test shows if it's a true elevation in the levels of calcium whether you grab blood that has fat in it or not. The reading is much more accurate. Here ionized calcium is still high.

We've also done ultrasounds, x-rays (yes, all of this from excessive drinking)... and all of her tests are showing that it could be *Multiple Myeloma*... determined by a number of things. I'll try to post a link here if anyone's interested but I'm sure somebody here must have gone through this.

Today, I met with the Doctor and we are deciding whether or not to move forward with doing a bone marrow test and another ultrasound. Or possibly a cancer test for lymphoma to rule that out. After reading the posts in this thread I think I'm going to suggest a liver biopsy or ultrasound to rule out liver cancer if this is in fact what's happening here (thanks Australdi). My dog is fine - no signs or symptoms other than excessive drinking, and of course, she is urinating alot. Including waking me up in the middle of the night to go outside.

I will keep you posted after I speak with the doctor tomorrow. I would suggest getting the blood panel done to see where your starting point is. You may not need to do all the tests I did.

Here's the link for Canine Multiple Myeloma. Very good information - exactly what the vet tried to explain to me and then some.
http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/Maczuzak/index.php

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the advice! His bloodwork last year was fine, however I was not the owner then, and the owner did not know/care much, so that's not saying alot. I will definetly ask the vet about everything you all mentioned. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts