Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old male is always panting, walks around with tongue out with siliva dripping. We do live in a hot climate, Philippines, but he drinks a lot of water and we keep him indoors...when he licks you, there is a ton of siliva left on your arm...should I be worried?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Is your house air conditioned? Your dog shouldnt be panting excessively in an air conditioned house. If it is not air conditioned, he is having to pant to cool himself and he cant help that. Panting forces air through the mouth, into the lungs and bringing body heat back out. There is also a panting caused by stress. Both will cause a dog to loose water through their mouth. They do need a lot of water to replace what they loose by panting. Maybe train him not to lick you, but dont blame him for having a lot of drool or saliva because he is hot. That is not something he can help or that he chooses to do just to tick you off. If possible, turn the air conditioning down to 75 or so. ETA: Sorry, didnt answer your question...No, you shouldnt be worried if he does cool down at least at night. If it is stress related, yes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you know a dog is stressed? What would make them stressed? He never seems to relax, that I have noticed...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Lack of exercise, boredom, confinement, seperation anxiety, owner anger, stress in the household, late meal are common reasons. Google it. Lack of exercise and boredom are probably the most common reasons. If you have a working line doberman that doesnt have a job or get some training most days to burn off energy, mental and/or physical, that is very stressful. Even dobermans not from working lines need exercise.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Is he intact?

Are there intact females anywhere fairly close by?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts