Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Chase was neutered, he has become obsessive with food, and actually developed a little bit of resource guarding. After a while he no longer feels the need to guard his food, so that has stopped. But while I wait for his kibble to soak he will whine and shake violently, this has never gotten better.

Has anyone seen this before? My chocolate lab would drool and maybe tremble in the shoulder, but nothing compared to what Chase is doing.

Now, Chase is NOT being starved to death, he gets two meals a day, with treats and chews throughout the day. I thought he may be hypoglycemic, so I gave him a small handful of kibble as I took him out of the kennel to pee, half an hour later, he still shaking while I was waiting for the kibble to soak.

Here is a quick video of him, this is what he does, he lays down, and shakes while I wait for the kibble to soak.

rIhgTi2pmHI

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
My min-pin (diabetic) had a few episodes of hypo-g. We're still working on finding his insulin sweet spot. As soon as I gave him some maple syrup, within 10 minutes he was ok.

Chase seems like he's pretty active, right? Are you sure he's getting enough calories?

Common causes of low blood sugar are:

1. Meal spacing (not eating often enough): To keep blood sugar levels at a normal range, you need to feed three to four meals per day: breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bed. Divide the daily amount of food into 3 or 4 portions. If your work keep you from giving a lunchtime meal make sure you give a meal at bedtime.

2. Lack of protein: Dogs are carnivores and their diets need to be a minimum of 30 - 50 percent protein. Sources of protein are meat, chicken, fish, cheese and eggs.

3. Reduced glucose formation or storage: Addison's Disease (also known as Hypoadrenocorticism) is caused by a deficiency in the secretion of hormones from the adrenal glands.

4. Seizures

5. Exercise: Too much exercise can cause hypoglycemia. If it is out of the ordinary, even a small amount of exercise can cause hypoglycemia in some dogs

6. Insulinoma: Insulinomas are tumors of the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

7. Insulin overdose: An excess of insulin can also occur in diabetic animals on insulin injections if the dose is inappropriate.

8. Hormone function: Abnormal functioning of the hormones can cause low blood sugar, as can the inability of the body to store adequate amounts of blood sugar. It may also be caused by the reduced ability of the liver to produce glucose or store glycogen.

source: Hypoglycemia - Low Blood Sugar

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
maybe soak his food overnight for his morning feed and during the day for his evening feed, so he does not have to wait for his meals.

I do not soak my dogs food, but, i have had a few over the years who do get over excited about me mixing up their meals.....one used to stand there and quiver while clacking her teeth too. :)

Hugz to Chase!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My min-pin (diabetic) had a few episodes of hypo-g. We're still working on finding his insulin sweet spot. As soon as I gave him some maple syrup, within 10 minutes he was ok.

Chase seems like he's pretty active, right? Are you sure he's getting enough calories?

Common causes of low blood sugar are:

1. Meal spacing (not eating often enough): To keep blood sugar levels at a normal range, you need to feed three to four meals per day: breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bed. Divide the daily amount of food into 3 or 4 portions. If your work keep you from giving a lunchtime meal make sure you give a meal at bedtime.

2. Lack of protein: Dogs are carnivores and their diets need to be a minimum of 30 - 50 percent protein. Sources of protein are meat, chicken, fish, cheese and eggs.

3. Reduced glucose formation or storage: Addison's Disease (also known as Hypoadrenocorticism) is caused by a deficiency in the secretion of hormones from the adrenal glands.

4. Seizures

5. Exercise: Too much exercise can cause hypoglycemia. If it is out of the ordinary, even a small amount of exercise can cause hypoglycemia in some dogs

6. Insulinoma: Insulinomas are tumors of the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

7. Insulin overdose: An excess of insulin can also occur in diabetic animals on insulin injections if the dose is inappropriate.

8. Hormone function: Abnormal functioning of the hormones can cause low blood sugar, as can the inability of the body to store adequate amounts of blood sugar. It may also be caused by the reduced ability of the liver to produce glucose or store glycogen.

source: Hypoglycemia - Low Blood Sugar

Yes, I was worried that Chase was not getting enough because he is active. So I had his blood sugar checked several times over the space of a month. Each test came back with a great level.

Right now, because we are so active he gets this daily: 2 cups of kibble twice a day. Half cup of low fat treats mixed with carrots for training (this happens 3-4x a week) everest chews, some cooked meat, and a late night biscuit.

He is a tad on the heavy side for a Doberman, mostly muscle (he is not agility fit), you can feel his ribs and see a waistline, he weighs 88lbs, sometimes he will tip to 90lbs. Ideally I keep him at 82lbs.
Picture taken last week:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I can't watch the video (won't load for me at work), so I don't know if it's the same, but both of my dobes shake in anticipation of their meals. Ripley drools and whines irritatingly also. Keira's learned that quiet = meal time but Ripley can't seem to grasp the concept. It's annoying, but there is nothing wrong with them other than anticipation.

Reactions: DogsR4Life

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Blood sugar levels can fluctuate throughout the day. When I run a BG check, I do it every 2 hours, on one day. This allows me to see if his levels drop or increase at any particular time during the day and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blood sugar levels can fluctuate throughout the day. When I run a BG check, I do it every 2 hours, on one day. This allows me to see if his levels drop or increase at any particular time during the day and adjust accordingly.
Yes we do that for clients, they are hospitalized during the day. The vet said I could either bring him in to work, and suffer a shift of him barking and growling like mad (kennel aggressive) or bring him in during parts of the day to see any fluctuation.

The reason why I said throughout a month is because since I did everything, the test was free. So when he was shaking one day, I would walk him to the clinic and do a quick test and check his blood.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
oh yes, I forgot you worked at a vet facility. He was checked for addison's, pancreas functions?

Yes we do that for clients, they are hospitalized during the day. The vet said I could either bring him in to work, and suffer a shift of him barking and growling like mad (kennel aggressive) or bring him in during parts of the day to see any fluctuation.

The reason why I said throughout a month is because since I did everything, the test was free. So when he was shaking one day, I would walk him to the clinic and do a quick test and check his blood.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yes, I forgot you worked at a vet facility. He was checked for addison's, pancreas functions?
A few months after he was neutered I had a full blood panel done to see how his organs are doing, all were within healthy range. Did not check for Addison's tho.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't watch the video (won't load for me at work), so I don't know if it's the same, but both of my dobes shake in anticipation of their meals. Ripley drools and whines irritatingly also. Keira's learned that quiet = meal time but Ripley can't seem to grasp the concept. It's annoying, but there is nothing wrong with them other than anticipation.
Yes, I really wanted to wait for Chase to be calm for food, so he eats slower, and not with so much desperation. I tried to wait him out lol, 2 hours later he finally went down to a slight tremble.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe soak his food overnight for his morning feed and during the day for his evening feed, so he does not have to wait for his meals.

I do not soak my dogs food, but, i have had a few over the years who do get over excited about me mixing up their meals.....one used to stand there and quiver while clacking her teeth too. :)

Hugz to Chase!
Wow teeth clacking? Haha, at least Chase isn't that bad:p

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Zeus is extremely food motivated. Every morning/night at feeding time, he goes nuts. Especially in the morning. He used to have a shaking fit in the morning about an hour before feeding, then once we went downstairs and I prepared his food, he would be in a 'down-stay' and would shake/teeth chatter. I believed most of his was excitement.

It was not as extreme as Chase's and mainly in his head and some in his front legs/shoulder. I have began not feeding him before we train (he works for all of his meals now), and since I made a food change, he has not been shaking at all.

He has a slowish metabolism (probably due to the hypothyroid) and at 95-100lbs, would only eat ~3 cups/day plus treats. I switched to evo about 2-3 weeks ago, and I have not seen him shake once since. I thought he maybe needed more protein and calories, and it seems to be helping. He gets just over 3 cups a day, is almost 31" tall and very active, so I do not think you are not feeding chase enough at 4 cups a day!

He was to the point that if it was around an hour before feeding day or night, he was shake incessantly to where we thought he might be diabetic.

But again, since the food switch, to higher protein, higher calories, he has literally not done it once. And this so far is his favorite food, so I know it can't be an excitement thing!

ETA: Zeus also did the teeth chattering/clacking.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The food he is on is on the average side with protein, I know the brand carries a high performance bag with higher protein. Maybe I'll buy that bag once this one is finished and see what happens.

He is due for a T4 recheck, I'll ask the vet to check the adrenal glands and anything else he seems should be checked out.

Thanks guys!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Zeus was on Acana and Earthborn before the switch, which I consider middle-high protein, so the switch may help for you! Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts