Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
986 Posts
Luis, is it all over her body or just around the neck (collar) area? (Could be an allergic reaction.) It could be her food if she's not getting enough of the right oils in her diet. (Many choose to supplement w/fish oil.) Or it could be she's getting the right nutrition but the oils are being washed off her skin and coat with too many baths. Try to narrow down the source of the problem first before trying to treat it.

No, don't put chemical lotions all over her. First, you'll have a mess and second she'll lick it off and third it will probably make her really sick. Treat the cause, NOT the symptoms.

· Registered
986 Posts
Redstar, I think you're bathing her waaaaaaay too much. This could likely be the entire cause of Stella's flaking problem. Dobies do NOT need to be bathed weekly (or bi-weekly)--it strips the oils their skin needs to stay moist. If I were you, I'd knock off the baths, period...maybe once every couple months ONLY IF NECESSARY. Instead, use a damp washcloth with water ONLY and wipe off the face/coat once a week. If she's naturally smelly, you can use a little listerine in the water. But just wipe the external coat, don't scrub the skin and don't use soap. Healthy dobies are naturally low-maintenance in the grooming dept.. You'll be doing Stella a favor! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.