Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Stella has a lot of flakes on her sometimes and if i scratch her more flakes come out. it got worse this week, i use head and shoulders on her and at first it helped but i bathed her yesterday and it didnt seem to help. perhaps her diet? i feed her lamb and rice Proplan, is that good enough for her? should i put something else in her food? looks like just dry skin that flakes off.

Thanks a lot

Luis

·
Registered
694 Posts
yep...I had the same issue with Sabot...dry skin in the culprit probably....I started feeding Wellness...although have not really noticed a difference..I was feeding Nutro before. I also do a raw feeding a couple of times a week..usually raw chicken. I also save my drippings from ANY meat I cook and add it to his food.....it has helped some but still in the winter he flakes a little.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the temps dropped into the 30s again this week after some nice weather , maybe that did it. can i put lotion on her? like aveeno or some other skin lotion?"

·
Registered
986 Posts
Luis, is it all over her body or just around the neck (collar) area? (Could be an allergic reaction.) It could be her food if she's not getting enough of the right oils in her diet. (Many choose to supplement w/fish oil.) Or it could be she's getting the right nutrition but the oils are being washed off her skin and coat with too many baths. Try to narrow down the source of the problem first before trying to treat it.

No, don't put chemical lotions all over her. First, you'll have a mess and second she'll lick it off and third it will probably make her really sick. Treat the cause, NOT the symptoms.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a good idea, its mainly on her back and neck, some on her sides, is there any particular ingredient i should look for in her food? i bathe her once a week sometimes every 2 weeks if its too cold but she doesnt scratch so i dont think it itches.

thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
Redstar, I think you're bathing her waaaaaaay too much. This could likely be the entire cause of Stella's flaking problem. Dobies do NOT need to be bathed weekly (or bi-weekly)--it strips the oils their skin needs to stay moist. If I were you, I'd knock off the baths, period...maybe once every couple months ONLY IF NECESSARY. Instead, use a damp washcloth with water ONLY and wipe off the face/coat once a week. If she's naturally smelly, you can use a little listerine in the water. But just wipe the external coat, don't scrub the skin and don't use soap. Healthy dobies are naturally low-maintenance in the grooming dept.. You'll be doing Stella a favor! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've found bathing a Doberman in warmer water will cause much more flaking than bathing her in cooler water.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
You should be using a shampoo that is PH Balanced for dogs. I wouldnt think Head and Shoulders would be good for a dogs skin or coat, but I could be wrong. Use a really good conditioner (made for dogs) I like the Solid Gold Jojoba Skin and Coat Conditioner. No lotion! Also, be sure your rinsing the shampoo really really well with cool water.

Like others have said, try supplementing a little Fish Oil in her diet. I give my dogs 1000mg a day. I'm not a huge fan of ProPlan. In fact, Im not at all a fan of it, but there are people who use it with great success.

I would just bathe her less, and try to give her more oils in her diet. I wipe mine off with the "aloe & e" baby wipes to keep them clean. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I agree with the others who have said that you are bathing Stella too much. We bath our dobies once every three months, you can wipe her down in between baths. We only use an oatmeal shampoo for our babies. Our last dobie had severe skin flaking and the vet suggested that we add Omega 3 Fatty liquid to his food. It works wonders. You can get it at the vet's office or even at your local pet store. We got ours at Pets Mart. It is about $16.00 a bottle in our area but it lasts for a good while. You only need to add a few squirts to her food. I would also stay away from head and shoulders for the dog. I think that it could be too harsh for your Stella. Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
10,884 Posts
RedstarDog said:
Hello all
Stella has a lot of flakes on her sometimes and if i scratch her more flakes come out. it got worse this week, i use head and shoulders on her and at first it helped but i bathed her yesterday and it didnt seem to help. perhaps her diet? i feed her lamb and rice Proplan, is that good enough for her? should i put something else in her food? looks like just dry skin that flakes off.

Thanks a lot

Luis
Luis,

Several other people have already said that you are bathing Stella much too frequently--that is probably the first problem. DO NOT SCRATCH her skin--do not dig your fingernails into her coat when you are bathing her. It's a great way to get a good case of folliculitis going (infection and/or irritation in the hair follicle) and that all by itself will cause flaking.

Bathe in very cool water--tepid and that means just off cold--dogs skin isn't suited for hot water baths--if it feels warm to you it's too warm for a dog. Dilute any shampoo you use and pour it on to a wash cloth and gently work suds into the coat in the direction of the lay of the coat (the direction the hair grows naturally). Spend twice as much time and water rinsing the dog as you think you need to and then rinse her once more.

Find a very good mild shampoo (I would not recommend Head and Shoulders) but some of the horse shampoo's work very well on dogs and Equis is a shampoo made for dogs by the people who make a bunch of horse shampoos.

When I'm showing my dogs I bathe them before every show but when they aren't showing they might get a bath every four to six months. I wipe them down with plain water and a terry hand towel. If they are very muddy I rinse them with a hose--I do not bathe them with shampool.

Even though I am a fan of Purina Pro Plan and have found it to be a perfectly adequet food for practically all of my dogs I have never had very good luck with any food that was a lamb and anything. I don't think lamb has enough fat for a Doberman. I prefer the chicken and rice or recently I've been feeding my young fawn male the salmon and rice (Sensitive Skin and Stomach). The only additive I regularly give is fish oil (body oil not fish liver oil)--I give a generic from Costco--1000 mg gel caps--one per meal. I also have given either cottage cheese (a tablespoon per meal) or yoghert for coats that don't seem to be in peak condition.

Try not bathing so much though--that's probably the biggest problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks to everyones replies, im going to try putting oil in her food and bathing her less. today she is flake free and looks pretty good, again thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java gets an egg (hard-boiled, scrambled or over-easy) every other day. The fat in the yolk seems to help keep her coat flake-free during the drier months. Canned salmon helps as well.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
BackInBlack said:
You should be using a shampoo that is PH Balanced for dogs. I wouldnt think Head and Shoulders would be good for a dogs skin or coat, but I could be wrong. Use a really good conditioner (made for dogs) I like the Solid Gold Jojoba Skin and Coat Conditioner. No lotion! Also, be sure your rinsing the shampoo really really well with cool water.

Like others have said, try supplementing a little Fish Oil in her diet. I give my dogs 1000mg a day. I'm not a huge fan of ProPlan. In fact, Im not at all a fan of it, but there are people who use it with great success.

I would just bathe her less, and try to give her more oils in her diet. I wipe mine off with the "aloe & e" baby wipes to keep them clean. Good Luck!

Great advice BIB, Head and Shoulders is actually a really strong shampoo even for humans! I give ******* a few different oils, Safflower, Flaxseed and Cod Liver Oil in the winter months.
BIB, I think you should be a spokeswomen for Solid Gold..hehe!!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Also if you want to make sure you have all the shampoo out of a dogs coat you can take white vinegar mixed with water rinse them & then rinse again. Then put your cream rinse on the dog & then rinse or get the cream rinse that does not have to be rinsed out. Also a good product is Cowboy Magic you can find it in the horse section of most animal stores. Heck I use the Cowboy Magic on my own hair makes it very shinny.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feed Sable a fish oil pill with her food once a day and it works wonders on her coat. I used to have the same problem with her when i lived in Italy and after a long drawn out explanation from the pet store owner (most of which i didn't understand) i found out that i bathed her too often. But i highly recommend the fish oil supplement.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Harley is given a salmon oil supplement too and it has worked wonders for his coat. However, he will still get "outbreaks" of dandruff when the weather gets bitterly cold. The only thing that seems to clear it up is "warmer" (20+ degrees F) weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts