Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He likes to bark at 3am after our potty break. Correct, or ignore? Some things I've read say that you should just ignore him because any attention from you (even negative) is what he wants....but, other books I've read say ignoring him is "letting him win", and that you should let him know you don't tolerate that behavior...so I'm confused.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I trained all my dogs not to bark excessively by correcting them. I let them bark a couple of times and if they continue with what I call "the idiot bark" - barking at nothing - then I make them stop. You don't want to discourage them from barking entirely. I don't know if this is what the experts say but it has worked for me, my neighbors tell me they don't even know we have dogs!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Like Doberlover, I would let Ava bark a few times before I would say 'enough' in a firm tone. Once she realized I wasn't going to let her way, she'd stop but it did require a lot of patience on my part. It didn't take her long to figure it out but when it's 2 am and you have to wake up in a few hours, it became VERY tempting to give so she'd keep quiet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts