Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mac has a tapeworm!!! She's had tummy issues for 2 days. Went to vet, got a shot and a fecal, came home fasting and light breakfast this morning and I was on poop patrol.

There it was... Gross wriggling tapeworm segments!!! Never even occurred to me that it was possible. Her monthly HW is trifexis, which is also flea and "worms", but only hook, round and whip worms!!!

When we got her she was COVERED in fleas. She was part of a transport, sitting in the front of the truck with me at 10 weeks old fresh out of a ditch. There were so many they were jumping off of her. It was FOUL. Capstar at the rescue's vet, and shes been on trifexis ever since. Never seen another flea.

Long story short- I assume she had had the TW this whole time, although I have never seen segments when I pooper scoop? Possible? Also, she's an itty bitty thing (9 months 50lbs) but well proportioned and healthy looking (not thin, just tiny) Could the TW infecton have stunted her growth?

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
My friend had a tape worm. I remember him running out of the washroom screaming he had to go to the hospital as he thought his intestines were falling out. I was the lucky one who got to drive him to the hospital. Most disgusting thing I ever seen.

Hope Mac is feeling better!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I regularly treat for Tape Worms as the Tics round these parts are carriers it turns out. I was always led to believe if an animal is infected the worm can affect the animals growth but this could be simply an old wives tale I just don't know, but it seems pretty feasible.

I once knew a horse that wasnt fairing too well, no matter how much food the owner gave him he always looked poor so on advise he wormed his boy, you should have seen the size of Tape Worm that came out. We laid it out and it must have been about 20 foot plus. Horrible thing it was. So I sympathise with you finding one in your dogs poop.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, as far as I've learned, tapeworms can inhibit regular, healthy growth by absorbing valuable vitamins and protein before they reach the intestinal lining. They also create a form of self-induced malnutrition due to infection. They can also cause anemia.

The valuable proteins that the tapeworms leach also have been proven to cause stunting of cognitive growth or intellectual development.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, treatment is simple. Single dose of Cestex and boom! All done. Been a eww gross kinda 24 hours as I pick apart Leo's poop with a stick to see if he needs to be treated too. The things we do for love :rolleyesww:

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
It's also important to worm for tapeworm if your dog is fed any raw offal...or helps them self to any critters...live or roadkill. Tasmania is 'supposedly' tapeworm free...so my dogs would have to get a dose of drontal every time they got on the boat to come home after a mainland visit.

Yes it will stunt growth if not treated...and often the first sign (apart from segments in the poop) is the dog scooting its butt along the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts