Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general rule is to "shop around" before you choose, but so far this woman is just amazing. I got in contact with her first because she was the closest at a "mere" 3 hours away. She's everything one could ask for and more. I'll be attending a show next month to see where the other breeders are hiding ;), but I was just wondering if anyone else lucked out on their initial breeder of choice?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yep. I got lucky, I knew nothing about good vs. bad breeders, but was referred to Ilsa and Ronin's breeder by a co-worker who had a Doberman... and it was definitely a good thing! I would have probably gone to a BYB, but instead my first Doberman was out of finished parents (one AKC, one major pointed in AKC but finished in UKC at the time) - her sire was a BIS/BISS/DPCA AOM/Top20 dog... what luck!

Not to mention the spectacular temperaments, health, and longevity... :D

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Yes. My husband and I were teenagers, just dating at the time, when he became interested in looking for a Doberman puppy. We bought one of the Doberman books, the Joan McDonald Brearley (sp? I'm not at home to glance over at the shelf), and consumed it. Then we just happened to be at the hospital visiting my grandmother and yakking about being interested in a Doberman puppy when the woman in the next bed spoke up and recommended a local breeder. So, our first Dobermans were sired by a well known Am. Can. Ch. and out of the half sister of Canada's top winning bitch of all time (*at that time*, her record has since been surpassed.) The breeders mentored us along, taught us about shows, entries, grooming, etc and here we are some 26 years later ...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
No, not the first. That was 18 years ago and I did not know better. I asked questions about health and got the "I have no problems" reply. When I had my girl’s vWD test and it came back at 11% and I called the "breeder" and she said "what's that" I went nuts. She said I could bring the pup back, but she was a great girl. I later ran into people with pups out of the same litter of 10-12. Five were gone before 4 with cancer, I lost mine at 3 1/2 years.

Our second breeder, who we have gotten 4 dogs from is great, but she is no longer breeding. Our new breeder that we got Kylee from is great and would get another dog from her in a heart beat.

Anyone reading this that is thinking about getting a puppy, get health testing in writing, ask questions and then ask more questions. I should have done that with our first girl....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes. Got Cole on our first try.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
No I will never get another dobe from our first breeder. If it could go wrong it would and did. Actually disgusting I didn't see through talk the talk and thank goodness I am no longer a greenhorn.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
if you have questions about your breeder you may want to ask folks here about her - we have lots of show and working dog people and companion dog folks with TONS of experience and knowledge. some may even have used the gal you are talking to

cc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a search on the forums for her, but with no luck. Oh, here's her website: http://www.mts.net/~whitel/

I wanted to find a breeder close by so I could actually visit and look around for myself. I actually just heard back from Mondio Dobermans, who is apparently in my city. Unfortunately, his pups at the time are a bit daunting at $3600+, not to mention I won't be ready to take on a pup until next spring, which is exactly when her next planned litter should be ready for their homes. Price shouldn't be an issue, but I still thought it was a bit high. He seems to be focused in the European aspect of things, so it's understandable I guess.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Our first dobe when I was a little girl died at 2 or 3 and I dont know where she came from...
but for Duchess...we got a recommendation from someone who shows amstaffs and seemed like perfect timing and really nearby me...but I still wasnt positive of her breeders reputation right when we got duchess so even though I knew she seemed reputable a part of me had to hear it from the people in the doberman world on here...before I for sure recommended her dogs when I met people out with Duchess...if that makes sense...and I guess if you just meet with the right people in the show world that can recommend someone it all seems to work out fine :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Even though Mensa is our fourth Doberman, she is the first one I went looking for, all the others sort of found us.

And, with the help of the folks on here, I did get lucky.

When I asked on here about Pups, I was directed to the DPCA site. There I found a few breeders in my area. I started making phone calls, and the first one to answer was the breeder closest to my home.

She wasn't expecting a litter, but she knew someone who was, and she gave me her number. Instead of being close to home, Mensa's breeder was 135 miles (220km) away, down east of San Diego. Not too far from Mexico.

I called at just the right time, a couple weeks before the litter was due.

But just inquiring wasn't enough. I had to convince Mensa's breeder that I was the right one to take home one of her babies. THAT was the crux.

But I've always been good at selling myself, so that's what I did.

I still didn't know if I made the cut or not until the day before Mensa came home. The breeder's decission was inked when she came over for a visit here at my house, and she saw where Mensa would be staying. That was what sealed the deal.

I got Mensa from Shaden's Dobermans, and it's a good thing it worked out because I didn't really have a back-up plan.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, the first breeder I met happened to be an excellent mentor. My husband met her on a flight to the National Training Center in CA. She was talking about Dobermans and he told her that I was very interested in them. She gave him her contact info and it turned out she was only an hour away from us in TN!! I felt very fortunate in the fact that I was able to train with her and be around for the breeding, whelping, and raising of her J litter -- who I got Jingo from.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We lucked out with Java. Happened to be at a juried show and commented to the man with a beautiful red boy sitting next to us outside the ring how lovely he was and asked if he was the breeder. He told me no, but did give me the name of his breeder.

I contacted her and I liked the fact that she didn't breed every year - that was the first concern off my check list, that we wouldn't be dealing with a BYB. I would definitely go back to her if we decided to get a second puppy rather than go the rescue/shelter route.

·
Premium Member
10,595 Posts
I did a search on the forums for her, but with no luck. Oh, here's her website: http://www.mts.net/~whitel/

I wanted to find a breeder close by so I could actually visit and look around for myself. I actually just heard back from Mondio Dobermans, who is apparently in my city. Unfortunately, his pups at the time are a bit daunting at $3600+, not to mention I won't be ready to take on a pup until next spring, which is exactly when her next planned litter should be ready for their homes. Price shouldn't be an issue, but I still thought it was a bit high. He seems to be focused in the European aspect of things, so it's understandable I guess.

Amuro, it may be fortunate that no pups are available from Mondio Dobermans at this time. With a lot of experience behind me I'll tell you that $3,600+ (even if the + is only $1.00) is too much to pay for a young puppy--puppies are far too much pigs in pokes even from the very best breeders of purpose bred Dobermans (that is to say, specifically bred for podium work, specifically bred for show etc)--if you even consider paying that much for a Dobe is should be an older dog or bitch well on it's way to titles in the chosen field.

Too many people equate high prices with high value. Unfortuantely a good many not very good or honest breeders figure this out and prey on the unwary.

Your first choice breeder looks like a much more likely bet. She certainly got her foundation bitch from a reputable breeder and appears to have been out there in the ring proving that her Dobermans have quality as well as being active in the Doberman community. Mary, of Mary and Dobes is in Canada, very active in Doberman doings and her recommendation would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I did not find my favorite breeder first go around but have one now that is the breeder of Tamora (Jana Dupre). She does it right and really is all for the dogs not for her own personal glory.

·
Premium Member
10,595 Posts
I got my first Doberman to show but it was absolutely an accident that he was not only show quality but a very good show dog. But is wasn't because I did any sort of appropriate investigation. Frankly the woman who collected the money for the puppy turned out not even to be the breeder--she owned the bitch but the bitch was leased to someone else entirely.

Since then I've learned a lot. The first dog was a 1959 model--there was no health testing--even hip X-rays were very uncommon although there was a movement afoot to urge everyone to x-ray hips so that Dobes didn't end up in the same boat that German Shepherds were in by then. The OFA had been though of but didn't yet exist. No one had every heard of vWD. No one did thyroid testing routinely. I don't the CERF yet existed. And dogs died of "heart attacks" all the time and no one thought much about it.

My last three dogs have been from the same breeder. She shows, health test and her dogs are generally of excellent temperament and she makes every effort to provide her prospective owners with what they really want (show, performance, purely pet etc). She doesn't show her own dogs in performance but gives every possible encouragement to the owners of her breeding and as a result has her breeding working in virtually every venue.

Frankly I wouldn't consider going anywhere else for another puppy--as long as she's breeding it's where my dogs would come from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking about this question and I'm really torn. My grandparents bred dobies and I was always around them and they were always very healthy. I was living in NY when I finally had my own place and could be responsible enough to care for my own dog. I was in the military and didn't have alot of money so I checked out the cheapest one. It was about a 3 hour drive each way and she was only $250 dollars. Unfortunately I had it in my mind that I wanted my own dobie.

We got there and the puppies were being raised in the barn. She had some skin problems on her head. The breeder told us it was just from her bumping her head on the fenced in area the pups were kept. I didn't know any better so I believed her. The puppy was so playful and happy that I fell in love her. My wife at the time was fearful of dobies and this one ran up to her and jumped into her arms. She also fell in love with her. We packed her up in her crate in the car and off we went, that is until momma ran in front of the car and wouldn't move. She just stood there crying which made my wife start crying. We had to back up and drive around the poor momma. I felt so bad for her.

So Zena (or later known as Beanie) puked 3 times on the way home. It took her about 2 years to conquer car sickness. We took her to the vets shortly there after and found out she had worms. Seeing them come out is one of the grossest things I've ever seen. Zena was a hardheaded puppy and she whined relentlessly. I think this had to due with her breeding. She grew into a GREAT family dog. She was a beautiful dobie. The whining never went away, though it did get better with age.

She lived for 11 years with no major health issues at all. So here's where I'm torn. I was young at the time and some of her issues I'm sure I'm to blame. She was so loyal and so incredibly great with my son (I'm getting mixed emotions (happy and sad) just typing this).

So no I don't think I'd go back to this breeder but I'd have to think about it. She was in the Kimbertal line. I was told that this is a pretty good line but I really don't know anything about that.

And my now ex-wife who was deathly afraid of dobermans just said to me last week, "I really miss Beanie and when we get another dog it just maybe a dobie".

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I am very happy with ******* and her breeder. Monica has been very helpful and we have stayed in touch. She does show her dogs, health tests and does try to improve the breed. I am torn a little for my next doberman, for one reason only. I feel she breeds to often. Other than that I could not be happier with the dog I have in my home. And any concerns or questions I have had she has been right there for me. So do I think my first breeder was a good choice?? Yes. Could I have done better? Maybe. Would I go back to her? If she could give me another *******...lol :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
My family and I went to a dog show and just loved the look of one doberman in the ring, the lady told us who the breeders were and spoke to them later in the day. When we went for a visit we talked for a while and then they showed us their dogs, they were so well behaved. I'll never forget one female she was so beautiful her name was Mercedes, she was just lying in her crate and smiling at us, I asked if I could pet her. She was a little sweet heart and one beautiful doberman. We got our first male in the spring of l989 he was adorable, and yes we made a good choice the first time.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My breeder leaves much to be desired, but I didn't know better when I jumped feet first into purchasing my first doberman~Petey. I am totally in love with my puppy, and hope to get a decade out of him, now I wouldn't change anything.

oxc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts