Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the AAHA website and found several vets/clinics close by my house since my old vet is getting too far to travel. So I take my oldest in for this mouth tumor and we find she has malignant cancer. I leave her overnight and they do the surgery next day to remove a growth in her mouth that is beginning to hinder her ability to eat (2 weeks now and it has already grown back....sigh).
ANyway I pick her up at the end of the day and when I get home notice her right eye is a little swollen. Next morning it is almost shut so we take her back and vet says she has a staph infection! WE get eye meds and take her home.

I want to know if this is an indication that the clinic is not clean or is this normal? I have never had this happen before and now am wary of taking my other 2 there. Hubby is furious and says go elsewhere. Any thoughts guys?

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I definitely think you have a valid question.

One idea I had for trying out a new vet is to take dogs in for minor things at first to see how the vet does with them so that if the vet is incompetent you can find out before he creates a tragedy. This is something I learned the hard way.

So if you want to take your other two in and see how the vet does, try him for some minor stuff and then evaluate him.

·
Registered
602 Posts
micdobe said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I definitely think you have a valid question.

One idea I had for trying out a new vet is to take dogs in for minor things at first to see how the vet does with them so that if the vet is incompetent you can find out before he creates a tragedy. This is something I learned the hard way.

So if you want to take your other two in and see how the vet does, try him for some minor stuff and then evaluate him.
This is good advice. I am also planning on taking Princi to a vet a lot closer to the house than the one I have been going to. The only reason I want to make the change is because of the distance I have to travel. I will also take Princi there for just some minor "check-ups" first and than see how they do.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh a staph infection how sad. I am not sure but I have always heard that it is because of cleanliness too. But like I said i am not sure. I know when I went looking for a vet I talked to several to see how the liked dobermans and to look at the office. If they will not let me see the kennels or the surgery department I do not go there. My vet gave me the whole nickel tour. and he gave me his home number for any emergencies. he was open to different ways to treat my dogs and the staff was friendly!
Good luck on your quest the a Great Vet. Also sorry to hear about your older dog!:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts