Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
I watched the Video you posted up ole bubby - Poor Eva girl walks very tight to me - I don't think its just her front leg - but its also her rear legs - she just looks tight in her right rear .

Bug did a great job on foods - We had Kadin on the Hills weight reduction for a few months and it sure did work on him - I will also add we added some No Salt Green beans to it sometimes - to add to him feeling full . Walmart and most grocery stores have them .

When Kasia got older , Like 13 or so , she did the same freeze up as Eva - She was on some Anti's and it really helped her .

I really hate to say this Spocksdad - But there is a time - where I just could not take Kasia on her long walks - we had to cut them back some - just let her decide on what she wanted to do - If she just wanted to walk out in the yard and sniff around and goof off then that what she got , At first , when she locked up - I think it was harder on me , I would rub her and say - oh come on girl - lets got to he neighbors , then It just hit me one day , I was just asking to much out of her , she was happy and healthy - yet her joints just would let her do it any more . After the years she has been gone - I understand more about how she felt , as I have a knee that's gone .

I liked the idea of taking her to a ?? say a VCA or like hospital where they can sort of exercise her - I have seen this done first hand , it's amazing to me , how they do this - the one I seen had a large tank with a tread mill in it , then they fill it up with water ( may be a problem with a Dober ) to take the weight off there legs and pressure on there joints , a dog that was having walking problems were now walking up a storm and they said they seen good results out of this treatment .

Best of luck with Eva and give her a big hug for Doc .

·
Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
Spocksdad - the difference between the Dasuquin and Cosequin is the ASU powder. The company that makes the product did some scientific studies, and there is something about that that actually DOES make a difference in how the product works. When I talked with our sports/rehab veterinarian (she's the former head of the college of sports/rehab veterinarians), she said that Dasuqin is the only joint supplement on the market that is backed by science, and the only one she actually recommends using. You can read about how ASU works on their website (https://www.dasuquin.com/en/faqs/) and there are actually studies backing it up.

Just wanted to share that.

As far as diet goes, I would certainly cut Eva's food back to 1 1/4 cups and see what happens if you don't want to look at a satiety diet. I don't know what her weight or ideal weight is, but my Sypha only eats a bit under 1 cup per feeding. (She eats the Proplan Sport, but is a lot more active and younger, so needs a higher calorie food). Even so, I bet at an older age Eva could probably do with fewer calories.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MC- Thanks for info on Dasuquin, we'll switch over to try out. I just ordered large bag of soft chews from Amz.

Vet Visit Update- This morning, Eva got examined, annual shots, Geriatric blood tests including liver & Thyroid panel. I talked to vet, Tessa, at length, outside in parking lot, as no customers being allowed in facility- everything is from cars. I had to walk Eva into front door, as she wouldn't go alone with vet tech... :nicejob:

Tessa had viewed video link I sent her earlier in email of Eva's walking. She agreed that starting on Rimadyl 75mg x2 / day should be highly beneficial. Also discussed Adequan, which she said was great, but super expensive. It will be backup plan to Rimadyl treatment. She said reason injection meds work so good is they can get to joints better than meds via gastric system. Discussed with her efforts to get Eva get down to 70 lbs. to lessen stress on joints, but she's only eating 1.5 cups/day food? After Thyroid test results come back, we'll talk more about weight loss.

I also sent Tessa a link to Eva & Spock's Squirrel Patrol video, w/music added, so she could see how important mobility is to our Dobes, to do their jobs! :2smile:

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update Eva Walking 5-15-20 2nd Day on Rimadyl

Started Eva on 150mg Rimadyl/day yesterday after vet visit.

During this morning's potty time/ squirrel patrol/ breakfast club Eva was chasing the little furry pests right along with Spock. Eva seemed to be prancing proudly back to patio after successfully chasing the intruders away. (I'll get video on future morning)

Eva's morning walk today went great, she was really livelier and seemed to be improving. Point at end of video, is where she normally freezes on previous walks. So far, so good. The power of drugs = less pain = enjoy life! :2smile:

Spunkier Eva on Morning Walk 5-15-20

·
Super Moderator
21,286 Posts
She looks more comfortable in that video. I hope keeping up with the pain meds will make a difference for her, and I hope the vet has some ideas for weight loss, too (it could also be that her thyroid meds need adjusting).

Yay!

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
Started Eva on 150mg Rimadyl/day yesterday after vet visit.

During this morning's potty time/ squirrel patrol/ breakfast club Eva was chasing the little furry pests right along with Spock. Eva seemed to be prancing proudly back to patio after successfully chasing the intruders away. (I'll get video on future morning)

Eva's morning walk today went great, she was really livelier and seemed to be improving. Point at end of video, is where she normally freezes on previous walks. So far, so good. The power of drugs = less pain = enjoy life! :2smile:

Spunkier Eva on Morning Walk 5-15-20

She looks lots , lots better SD - She was more free in her back legs and when a Dober pulls on there lead and wants to pick up the pace - well , that's a good thing .

Thanks for the update

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
As far as Anti-inflammatory meds, Hoss’s go to is Galliprant.
Costs more but easier on the belly and always responds well to this medication.
Bug why is it that Galliprant rarely comes up in conversation in the area anti inflamatories for our pups?
Well, I went looking to see what exactly Galliprant is because I'd never heard of it. I'm not sure but I think it may be one of the newer NSAID's mostly because there are whole groups of patients they recommend not using it on because there is not clinical information on effects. (ie puppies under 4 months, pregnant bitches etc).

It is highly recommended especially in treatment of pain from osteoarthritis. Here's one to keep in mind if it's a Doberman--it is not recommended for dogs on cardiac medication and they specify a number of types of typical meds. Check that out under a Google search for Galliprant for dogs.

We carry and prescribe a variety of NSAID's--and for the record most can not be used on cats--there is one that is sometimes used as off label for cats but you can talk to your vet about that. We carry (and it's probably the most heavily prescribed NSAID that we carry) carprofen (generic for Rimadyl) Meloxicam, in the past we carried Deramaxx/Deracoxib/Previcox. We stopped carrying that one because it actually contains a sulfonamide radical as part of it's chemical structure and after release there were reports on reactions in Dobermans. Why we carry what we carry is probably cost--carprofen/Rimadyl is one of the oldest NSAID's (actually aspirin is the oldest of all) it's been around and on the market so long it's is generally inexpensive by comparison to some of the newer NSAID's.

Some NSAID's can be used in conjunction with other NSAID or other pain meds that aren't NSAID's others can't. Gabepentin is also often prescribed for pain that is related nerve issues and can be given in conjunction with some NSAID's (I take gabapentin, Acetaminophin and Celecoxib for the on-going problem with my sciatic nerve that can't be corrected by surgery because I'm basically older than dirt.) Meloxicam is reported as being easier on the stomach and GI tract that most of the other NSAID's it's also quite a bit more expensive.)

I've had a variety of dogs on carprofen without issue except for the control of pain. But I'd have no hesitation about switching if there were to be problems with it.

Beyond this--I know nothing! Does it help answer the question?

dobebug

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update 6/30-

Eva now fitted with her Ruffwear Griptex booty & sock during our daily walks.

Eva Wearing Rear Left Booty

She's been doing great on recent walks, going round the block several times over weekend. On the long walks, due to her wobbly walking, she was dragging her left rear foot to point of rubbing one center nail down to quick and started bleeding during walk (getting blood all over kitchen floor, which she tried to lick/clean up herself, as if embarrassed- actually, to keep predators away from pack)

Now, she's used to using the boot for walks and I remove it once home. Her nails grow like weeds, so I suppose I got over-zealous on last two nail grooming sessions. Now that I know this, I'll leave middle two nails on both rear legs un-Dremeled if she's wearing them down on walks (like Spock does with ALL his nails running after squirrels in backyard!) Leg dragging is a symptom of Wobblers (CSM) in Dobermans, which I dread to think about. Now, I'm just glad her joints are feeling good enough to go on enthusiastic walks every morning, at this point, as the Dasuquin and Rimadyl appear to be working well.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_wobbler_syndrome

I've got one of these support/lift harnesses coming from Amazon this week to assist Eva in/out car or up/down stairs in future days so she can enjoy her quality of life (car rides & porch snooping) as long as possible.

Coodeo Dog Lift/Recovery Harness

Bonus Video- Lanah & Eva ("The Girls") on Daily Walk (Smell fest) 6-14
:2smile:

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Eva doing well and stable on the Rimadyl medication and Dasuquin supplement. After getting the recovery harness, shown in previous 6/30 post above, I tried assisting her upstairs to hang out on porch during Dad's exercise time. Coming down stairs, she was afraid and I ended up carrying her in the harness, supporting her entire weight. A day later she developed a chest cough and I was afraid I might have caused her injury from the carry. Well the cough, in evenings only, took a week to subside and I had vet look at her. Vet said her lungs and heart both looked good, and coughing was due to upper respiratory irritation.

Nighttime cough finally went away, I believe thanks to the amount of loud barking that our "Ma Barker" Eva does throughout day (notifies us of everything moving in neighborhood).

I have been walking her daily. When with DW and whole pack, I put booty on to keep her from dragging her left leg and nail to quick. Today, I put both back legs in booties to help her walk more evenly. She adapted to boots quickly and was very enthusiastic on walk. Can't wait until cooler weather moves in during fall months (cool for S. TX).

Here are some videos taken on this morning's walk...

Eva's Double Booty-Time Walk!
:grin2:

Keep Walkin', Doberdame! (Tiny Kitten With An Attitude)
:2surprise:

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
SD ---- Iwill be honest with you here ! But your movie making sucks !!!!!!!!!!! as in really bad ! In the second video - great music , get suspense starting to build ! Cat - Eva , Eva just waiting - waiting for the cat to get closer , cat care free acting - Eva working like a great Dober does --- Then what ??????????????????????? You quit filming ! That is like watching a 500 mile race - they take the white flag - one lap to go = they dive into the first turn , side by side - still side beside down the back stretch - go into 3 - STILL side by side ! Then the damn electricity goes out ! And you miss the ending !!! That is how you made your movie - NO great ending - need to work on that SD - LOL

Glad to see girl out on her walks .

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
SD ---- Iwill be honest with you here ! But your movie making sucks !!!!!!!!!!! as in really bad ! In the second video - great music , get suspense starting to build ! Cat - Eva , Eva just waiting - waiting for the cat to get closer , cat care free acting - Eva working like a great Dober does --- Then what ??????????????????????? You quit filming ! That is like watching a 500 mile race - they take the white flag - one lap to go = they dive into the first turn , side by side - still side beside down the back stretch - go into 3 - STILL side by side ! Then the damn electricity goes out ! And you miss the ending !!! That is how you made your movie - NO great ending - need to work on that SD - LOL

Glad to see girl out on her walks .

I was filming "KTK" (Krazy Little Kitty) on the fly, during a group walk and DW w/Lanah bringing up the rear. Had to break it off, to keep moving. Cut me some slack, huh!

What's more important, getting a video for DT or keeping your DW happy by moving along on a walk? Answer "honestly", and keep in mind your wife might be reading your posts here... :2surprise:

Just think of it as a cliffhanger, so you'll be sure to tune in for the next episode... :2smile:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts