Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to another breeder today, she mentioned more than once her Dobermans had "all European lines". How is this different from other "lines"? They look impressive in the pictures on her web-site (but so do the Dobies on this site).

These Dobies are also from "V Rated Foundation Stock". What does this mean? I assume it's good.

These are great looking Dobies, and they're located only 20 miles from where I live so it's going to be easy to make several trips over there. She's expecting pups at the end of the month.

Thanks, Chaz.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
V rated stands for Vorzuglich which translates to an excellent show or performance rating. They also have to have at least a SchHI title.

I would think european lines means that she just imports all of her dogs, she doesnt use any known "American Lines" in her breeding program. I could be wrong on that one though.

What Kennel is this? I would love to see the website!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi chaz, I'm no expert on Euro lines, but I do like the look of them too, so I know where I you are coming from. I don't know really any major differences, the euro's seem to be more into their working titles as BackinBlack mentioned which is cool in that respect.

Also they seem to be a little more compact and not as leggy as some of the Am. Please note to all... I'm just citing basically what I've noticed, this clearly isn't an expert evaluation, so feel free to correct me, and I'd rather not hear that I should go buy a rottie if I like this look!!

Hey if you feel like it, throw the site on the forum to be critiqued, if you don't want to get into that, and you'd like a second opinion, then PM it and we'll keep it off of the forum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
German imports can have a little more "edge" to them and some think they are better Dobes, not true. Also they tend to charge more money for " import " line from what I have seen.

North American " lines " :D are just as good quality or better in my opinion.

All Dobes at one point came from " import lines ".

Find a good breeder that is reputable and you will do fine with your new Dobe :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
basically "euorpean lines" tend to be better at shutzhund and working, but it probably also depends on what part of europe the lines came from. amercan dogs are flashier. personaly i feel that gloating about any kind of lines is probaly just a way to make your dogs sound better or more valuable. it would be nice to have the website to reference to, but that may just open a huge can of worms. like dobified said find a breeder that is reputable and feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to keep looking. The Dobies I was checking into with the European Lines are nice looking Dobies, but they aren't what I'm after. I have info on plenty of breeders within reasonable driving distance, and the phone lines and internet will be buzzing soon. My number one concern is getting a healthy Dobie, and time is on my side.
When I stump myself with new questions, you'll be the first to hear them.
Thanks Everyone!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well i think it is wrong to say a dobe is anything but a European line because at the end of every line (if you go back far enough)is a German dobe,just about every doberman in the U.S.comes from dogs imported from the war when german breeders who needed money would sell them to allied troops rather than see them starve to death.
It is wrong to say that Tia's mother is an English line because that side would go back to mainland Europe also.
I am studying Doberman history at the moment and it is a fascinating read.
At the end of the day you look at mom then at dad if you like what you see then you take your chance because at the end of the day who knows what you get,you can only edge your bets.
Chaz your last post hits it on the head, what is needed is to make sure the breeder does a full health check on its dogs that way you are more likely to have a happy healthy dog.
Hope you find a happy healthy dobe to own you soon,good hunting!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Brumwolf you are so right, they all came from Germany at one point.

The thing with North American dogs is that they have been refined a little more to what people want here, in North America. For instance, less edge, but that is only one thing. There are more differences but all in all the Doberman is still from Germany and as long as the standards remain the same and resposible breeders breed to them we will have the wonderful Dobes we know today :D:D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobified said:
Brumwolf you are so right, they all came from Germany at one point.

The thing with North American dogs is that they have been refined a little more to what people want here, in North America. For instance, less edge, but that is only one thing. There are more differences but all in all the Doberman is still from Germany and as long as the standards remain the same and resposible breeders breed to them we will have the wonderful Dobes we know today :D:D

Agreed :thumbsupb

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
if you are most concerned about gettinga healthy dog, then the first thing i would do is check about health testing -
NOT just taking the breeders word for it - but looking it up online on the OFA site, by seeing actual copies of these clearances.

MINIMALLY i would look for recent and continuous cardiac evaluation (echos and holters, not just OFA certification), hips, eyes, thyroid (repeated, again)...

·
Registered
742 Posts
doberkim said:
if you are most concerned about gettinga healthy dog, then the first thing i would do is check about health testing -
NOT just taking the breeders word for it - but looking it up online on the OFA site, by seeing actual copies of these clearances.

MINIMALLY i would look for recent and continuous cardiac evaluation (echos and holters, not just OFA certification), hips, eyes, thyroid (repeated, again)...
Great advice.

EDITED...
realized my "idea" was already in place...lol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just a note on Euro lines. This isn't just with Dobes either. I know that when I lived in Germany, it was difficult to get a quality dog. Serious breeders over there are VERY picky on who their dogs go to. Many of the less scrupulous breeders and Americans who were just trying to turn a profit would advertise exceptional "European Lines" (note that wasn't German lines) and sell very poorly bred dogs imported from the old Eastern Bloc Countries. I remember several litters of Boxer pups imported from I think a puppy mill in Estonia (I could be wrong) that were so sick upon arrival most of them either died or were euthanized. These puppy mills frequently export their dogs to the US and unscrupulous breeders here then can tout "European Lines".

Of course there are exceptional European dogs but like with anything else, do your homework. Don't think just because "Europe" is being advertised, you're getting quality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts