Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to DT. I'm looking to get a black male European puppy (the look appeals to me more). I have an active lifestyle so I would like my dog to accompany me. I plan on getting him his BH and ZTP training/certificate but he would be mostly a companion than a working dog.

I've been doing quite a bit of research for the past few weeks on the different European bloodlines, breeders, health issues and training. I'm hoping to post a new thread soon with some of my experiences with different breeders and the information I found, which I hope will be helpful to anyone that is looking to get a European dog in the North America or Europe.

I've come across a breeder in France who I contacted and the lady seems very nice, her dogs have great pedigree and look gorgeous. However, I can't seem to find any information about her.

The name of the kennel is of Devil Inside (link below)

Elevage de Dobermanns Of Devil Inside

I would appreciate it if anyone has any information about this breeder. Because I'm considering getting a puppy from her if all checks out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hello I'm new to DT. I'm looking to get a black male European puppy (the look appeals to me more). I have an active lifestyle so I would like my dog to accompany me. I plan on getting him his BH and ZTP training/certificate but he would be mostly a companion than a working dog.

I've been doing quite a bit of research for the past few weeks on the different European bloodlines, breeders, health issues and training. I'm hoping to post a new thread soon with some of my experiences with different breeders and the information I found, which I hope will be helpful to anyone that is looking to get a European dog in the North America or Europe.

I've come across a breeder in France who I contacted and the lady seems very nice, her dogs have great pedigree and look gorgeous. However, I can't seem to find any information about her.

The name of the kennel is of Devil Inside (link below)

Elevage de Dobermanns Of Devil Inside

I would appreciate it if anyone has any information about this breeder. Because I'm considering getting a puppy from her if all checks out.

Thanks guys!
You seem to have checked her dogs out and you say you like what you see...so what information do you want about the breeder?

Her name is Sandrine Losq..She is a very respectable breeder at National & International Doberman speciality shows..she emphasizes on work ability more than conformation in her breeding and works & titles her dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/sandrine.losq?fref=ts

You say "I plan on getting him his BH and ZTP training/certificate" but these are not the sort of things you buy over the counter..they need extensive training and dedication..do you have the will & the time to do this?

If you are looking for just a companion dog, it might be better for you to look elsewhere,as a high drive dog from Europe might just be too much for you to handle..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You seem to have checked her dogs out and you say you like what you see...so what information do you want about the breeder?

Her name is Sandrine Losq..She is a very respectable breeder at National & International Doberman speciality shows..she emphasizes on work ability more than conformation in her breeding and works & titles her dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/sandrine.losq?fref=ts

You say "I plan on getting him his BH and ZTP training/certificate" but these are not the sort of things you buy over the counter..they need extensive training and dedication..do you have the will & the time to do this?

If you are looking for just a companion dog, it might be better for you to look elsewhere,as a high drive dog from Europe might just be too much for you to handle..

Yes, I checked her dogs and I like their look and pedigree. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with her because I can't seem to find any information about her as what is available on other breeders. I would like to make sure if I end up getting a puppy from her that I'm choosing a good tested and ethical breeder.

I know it takes extensive training and dedication to get the BH and ZTP and I'm more than willing to do so. I'm still doing more research on training and I'll be weighing in what is realistic for me to do and what is not. However, it is something I would like to do. I told her what I was looking for in a puppy and she said her dogs are families dogs that able to work in competitin, sit and watch TV and play with kids.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Honestly, I have never met a Doberman who just sat and WATCHED. All the Dobermans I know are extremely busy. For many, they are not even mature for three years, and, as puppies growing up, unless they get PLENTY of mental and physical exercise you will not find them sitting around doing nothing. They are either busy or asleep. :D I know there are a few couch potatoes on this forum but that's rare. I think any breeder should point out the INTENSITY of these dogs. Take Iceman's wise post very seriously. It's disappointing to hear that a working line breeder is not emphasizing the energy level as well as the VERY HIGH need for activity and a job. Makes you wonder...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It's disappointing to hear that a working line breeder is not emphasizing the energy level as well as the VERY HIGH need for activity and a job. Makes you wonder...
Sandrine is not what you would call purely working line breeder..She mainly attends conformation shows, BUT she also works & titles her dogs in sports and breeds to achieve dogs with high working ability..

In other words....unlike most conformation breeders who's only after good looks,she is after both..

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I told her what I was looking for in a puppy and she said her dogs are families dogs that able to work in competitin, sit and watch TV and play with kids..
well...technically she has told you the truth, but maybe you have misunderstood some of it...any dobermann with a stable & strong character can be a family dog and play with kids & watch TV...even high drive dogs..

BUT, only after they go through the hard work & training they feel comfortable with they can do the above..

You have to understand, high drive dogs dont have an on-off switch..
you can't switch them off and place them on the sofa to watch TV..

You have to satisfy their daily mental & physical needs for them to live a happy life.

I suggest you study and understand what you are wishing before you commit yourself to such a dog..

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
If you can, make a visit to a training club that works in any of the bites sports. The intensity you see in those dogs may well be the intensity of a puppy that you get from this breeder. You can also volunteer at a Doberman rescue group and get a feel for the Doberman level of energy and need for exercise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure that goes to all types of Dobermans whether they're companions or working dogs, their mental and physical needs need to be stimulated on a daily basis.

So you think if my main requirement is for a companion that can also accompany me doing all my outdoor activities I should look elsewhere? I would really like to do some training with him and I know it's easier said than done but I would like to have that option.

Yes, and that is what I'm trying to do by researching and getting opinion from people like you who know and own dogs. I will also be visiting breeders.

Thank you,

well...technically she has told you the truth, but maybe you have misunderstood some of it...any dobermann with a stable & strong character can be a family dog and play with kids & watch TV...even high drive dogs..

BUT, only after they go through the hard work & training they feel comfortable with they can do the above..

You have to understand, high drive dogs dont have an on-off switch..
you can't switch them off and place them on the sofa to watch TV..

You have to satisfy their daily mental & physical needs for them to live a happy life.

I suggest you study and understand what you are wishing before you commit yourself to such a dog..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, very valid point and this is what I'm planning to do in the next couple of weeks. I need to educate myself a bit more before committing. My ideal timeline to get the puppy would be between June-October of this year, so I have some time to make the right decision.

If you can, make a visit to a training club that works in any of the bites sports. The intensity you see in those dogs may well be the intensity of a puppy that you get from this breeder. You can also volunteer at a Doberman rescue group and get a feel for the Doberman level of energy and need for exercise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There are many very good breeders in America that can sell you the kind of dog that you want. Why would you import a dog from Europe? As a novice? You're going to get, at best, a mediocre dog from someone who lives literally a world away and is not fluent in English. When something goes wrong or you have a question, you're basically on your own.

Please take my advice, find a good breeder here in America that you like and can talk with. Establish a relationship, it will make everything so much easier. If you have aspirations this is the way to go. Now, if you just want a pet, than my advice goes double! Why the hell would you buy a pet dog from Europe?

UDC Breeder Directory

buy American.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are many very good breeders in America that can sell you the kind of dog that you want. Why would you import a dog from Europe? As a novice? You're going to get, at best, a mediocre dog from someone who lives literally a world away and is not fluent in English. When something goes wrong or you have a question, you're basically on your own.

Please take my advice, find a good breeder here in America that you like and can talk with. Establish a relationship, it will make everything so much easier. If you have aspirations this is the way to go. Now, if you just want a pet, than my advice goes double! Why the hell would you buy a pet dog from Europe?

UDC Breeder Directory

buy American.

It's easier to find the type and look of the dog I want in Europe. Plus I'm moving next month and Europe makes more sense logistically. It's a good thing I speak French and Italian then ;)

Thank you your advice...if I were staying here I would have probably done that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts