Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I really wasn't asking for help I was just chatting about the differences in the ears of American vs European Dobes. The adoption issue was just a rant.

I had Thanksgiving dinner in a home with a sweet rescue dog. I mentioned the problem of overrun shelters vs the premise that adopters are evil until proven otherwise. It turns out the host had been refused an adoption in Dallas because she didn't have a fenced yard. Yet she had worked with dogs and horses all her life and had done rescue work as a volunteer. She knew more about dogs (and her capability to provide) than the person that turned her down.

When a dog is rehomed there's a minimum of three lives affected. The person that is giving up the dog, the dog and the person adopting the dog. The two lives most vulnerable are the first two yet the agency facilitating the exchange seems more concerned about the dog than any humans involved. The previous owner needs to feel comfortable with the placement, the dog needs to be shown love and the new owner (especially if a senior) needs loving companionship. If possible I would remain in contact with the previous owner. For example if they were in a nearby rest home or apartment maybe occasional visits could be arranged. That's just one scenario but I think the corporate armor of the agency needs to be pierced allowing the adopter to have direct contact (email, phone or preferably in person) with the owner rather than the applications and background checks. I suspect the oft quoted dog baiting ruse is not a risk at all especially with well established seniors such as me. Those operating our local shelter only know how to crate, feed and euthanize dogs not how to place them.

· Registered
113 Posts
The crop of the ears are not the only thing but it's something I would be looking at every day so I want it to be right. Here's what Dobies looked like when I fell in love with the breed. Obviously others don't agree with me thus the standard has drifted. But for me as with art the proportion is important. This is Ch Rancho's Dobe Storm.
View attachment 154978
Storm was the benchmark for me when I first became interested in Dobes.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I flag every Doberman ad on Craigslist because 99% of the time the ads are from backyard breeders who do no health testing and think they can make a quick buck. In addition to that it's against Craigslist policy to list animals that are not livestock
I think you're correct. I would never choose a puppy from craigslist but I am seeking an adult dog in need of rehoming (meeting my specific requirements). I have not been able to get a breeder to keep my name on file in case one of their dogs falls into that situation.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts