Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
It's not my first time, I had a Dobe (female) years ago (medium crop). Then a wolf-dog until he passed. I have outlived my vet and I am not about to open my home to strangers. Some Dobe is going to miss out on a good home unless one shows up on Craigslist with a nice medium ear crop or small natural ears.

Here's a prime example of ridiculous ears IMO.
View attachment 154952
That is a well done long show crop. And yes, they look XL on that pup but eventually they will look perfect as the head matures.

· Registered
253 Posts
I don't think they are breeding euros to have smaller ears, the second photo you post is a dobe with the ear pointing to the sides. Doesn't look small to me, just normal size with low ear set.
My girl is american and has small ears cause she is petite but her ear set is correct. I mean, the size of the ear should be in harmony with the head whether they are floppy or cropped.

In regards to Craigslist... I don't live in America but here if you want a well bred dobe you go to the Dobermann Club or the FCI. If I were a breeder I would be asking a lot of questions. Reputable breeders do and extraordinary job raising the pups, taking care of all their other dogs, studying genetics and making planifications for the future always trying to bred to the standard and correct their dogs weak points. In Craigslist you don't even know what you are getting. Just be patience and have some empathy for the breeders, and keep in mind that many are looking foward to keep in touch with the new owners.

· Registered
253 Posts
The medium crop on my girl turned out well. However I had seen so many bad crops that I was fearful going in. And that was before the extra tall spiky look became popular. IIRC her ears were taped only a few weeks and no posts back then. Of course if I find an adult to adopt I won't have to go through all that but I'll seek a crop more proportional to head size.

In beauty a regal Dobie is second only to a well bred wolf-dog (which is hard to find).
If you are looking for and adult dog is more important his temperament since you would not had raised him and you dont know what your are dealing with. The size or crop of the ears is meanless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts