Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m looking into getting a euro bloodline male pup. I have owned two Americans previously. I lost one at 5 to an auto immune disease and he had an enlarged heart, and another was a older rescue with multiple health issues but ultimately lost him due to wobblers. I’ve been trying to find a rescue but they are far and few in my area. I’m located in buffalo, ny. It’s been a dream to own a euro doberman as I just find them stunning. Although I love the breed as a whole. As I’m doing my research into breeders, I’m getting very discouraged as to who to trust. It seems there’s a lot of “greeters” or those that mass produce. Health is of the upmost importance to me, I know health is never guaranteed but if I’m paying all this money I hope to invest in a healthy puppy. I’m starting to feel there aren’t many good ones out there. Please help guide me! Willing to travel :) where are all the breeders who care and are reputable and health test?

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Have you looked at the United Doberman Club's breeder list? UDC Breeders – United Doberman Club A lot of them are using European dogs in their programs, some show lines, some working lines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to DT.

Have you looked at the United Doberman Club's breeder list? UDC Breeders – United Doberman Club A lot of them are using European dogs in their programs, some show lines, some working lines.
Thanks :) I have been looking on there. And then I come on here and I read mixed reviews and I just don’t know who to trust or where to go. I feel “stuck”. I just want a healthy puppy from a responsible and loving breeder. Everytime I think I’m getting somewhere, I bounce back to square one and now I’m lost lol.

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
I don't think any breeder can make 100% of everyone happy 100% of the time. Some breeders that one person raves about could be a ones that another person wouldn't recommend in a million years.

One suggestion is to make a list about things you want and don't want in a breeder. For example, categories divided into "absolute, must have, no compromising", "would really be nice, but not a deal breaker", "eh... not wild about, but I can live with", and "no way, no how, ain't happening". Then compare what breeders are doing against your list. If the wants outweigh the don't wants, then talk to that breeder, and see if you mesh with them, and would want a decade or so long relationship with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think any breeder can make 100% of everyone happy 100% of the time. Some breeders that one person raves about could be a ones that another person wouldn't recommend in a million years.

One suggestion is to make a list about things you want and don't want in a breeder. For example, categories divided into "absolute, must have, no compromising", "would really be nice, but not a deal breaker", "eh... not wild about, but I can live with", and "no way, no how, ain't happening". Then compare what breeders are doing against your list. If the wants outweigh the don't wants, then talk to that breeder, and see if you mesh with them, and would want a decade or so long relationship with them.
Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jess, and welcome (we are also new members)

We are also looking at importing a euro Dobe although we live in the UK it doesnt have as far to travel, at the moment we are looking at and in touch with Brutal Dragons and super excited but looking at Sant Kreal also as they both seems to recomended and would be happy to share information and let you know how we are getting on as it developes.

How are you getting on have you found anything out yet ?

Ian & Carla

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Try AKC marketplace.
The only requirements for the AKC Marketplace are that the puppies be AKC eligible and the breeder not have their AKC privileges suspended, so people listing there run the gamut from really good breeders to really lousy breeders.

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
I agree, the AKC marketplace isn't where I'd start my search, because it's hard to tell much about breeders there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We are also looking at importing a euro Dobe although we live in the UK it doesnt have as far to travel, at the moment we are looking at and in touch with Brutal Dragons and super excited but looking at Sant Kreal also as they both seems to recomended and would be happy to share information and let you know how we are getting on as it developes.

Ian & Carla
I've been looking into Vom Koby Haus and Feverhaus. I would love to import but have ZERO idea where to even start, haha. I'm also starting to consider the pros and cons to a Euro vs. Am dobey. It is sounding like a american may be better fit for me at the current moment. I am looking for a pet, partner in crime, and to possibly do classes of some sort with. But its sounding like a Euro may be too much high demand at all times of the day energy, unless I consistently have it training in something. I am by no means a lazy couch potato dog owner type. However I do have cats as well as an older border collie I fear will be too much on them. I've been reading that the Euros tend to be more "unpredictable". Have you come across any info or have any Euro experience? I'd love what info you come across in the future as well! Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only requirements for the AKC Marketplace are that the puppies be AKC eligible and the breeder not have their AKC privileges suspended, so people listing there run the gamut from really good breeders to really lousy breeders.
I've recently been comparing Euros to Ams as I'm thinking I should stick to the Americans due to more research. I've been in touch with Feverhaus and Vom Koby Haus for Euros and Smack Dab Dobermans so far for Americans. All seem to be very good breeders. Any info on them?

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
I have a Euro thats approaching 5 years of age.
We have no issues with having unpredictable behavior, as once you get to know your dog it will become easy to read one another’s body language.
IMO...Behavior Will be a reflection of the amount of energy the human has given to their dog to develop good canine citizenship.
Although with my boy “Hoss” even at 5 years he continues to have a very high drive for activities.
Busy, busy, busy boy.......but he has a schedule that he devised over time and follows each day.
Certain times for play, certain times to eat, certain times for sleep.
Regarding American pups as I have reviewed threads within this forum these pups also stay quite active until their elder years.

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
Thanks :) I have been looking on there. And then I come on here and I read mixed reviews and I just don’t know who to trust or where to go. I feel “stuck”. I just want a healthy puppy from a responsible and loving breeder. Everytime I think I’m getting somewhere, I bounce back to square one and now I’m lost lol.
This is a good thread to check out if you scroll down to post #15 - brw1982 has a good collection of recommendations on the east coast in her post, then Gretchen adds Shar-jet (whom I also really like). I'd also add that Kalora breeds a lot of Dobermans on the longevity listings, too. Read those few posts and see if those help you out? New member in need of help with breeder

I think there are quite a few breeders you could chat with to see if anyone is the right fit for you, with dogs that are the right fit for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Euro thats approaching 5 years of age.
We have no issues with having unpredictable behavior, as once you get to know your dog it will become easy to read one another’s body language.
IMO...Behavior Will be a reflection of the amount of energy the human has given to their dog to develop good canine citizenship.
Although with my boy “Hoss” even at 5 years he continues to have a very high drive for activities.
Busy, busy, busy boy.......but he has a schedule that he devised over time and follows each day.
Certain times for play, certain times to eat, certain times for sleep.
Regarding American pups as I have reviewed threads within this forum these pups also stay quite active until their elder years.
Thank you! I believe I’d be happy with either bloodline, however the “loose cannon” comments I’ve seen are starting to make me think I shouldn’t keep looking into a Euro. Thank you for the info on your dog. I just really love the breed so much I think I’d be happy to have either in my life again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a good thread to check out if you scroll down to post #15 - brw1982 has a good collection of recommendations on the east coast in her post, then Gretchen adds Shar-jet (whom I also really like). I'd also add that Kalora breeds a lot of Dobermans on the longevity listings, too. Read those few posts and see if those help you out? New member in need of help with breeder

I think there are quite a few breeders you could chat with to see if anyone is the right fit for you, with dogs that are the right fit for you.
Great info! Thank you! This forum is awesome I’m glad I stumbled upon it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ian & Carla
Hello! I decided to go with Vom Koby Haus, I get my little boy in January! I decided to get a Euro boy. Any luck in your search?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts