Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
tines28 said:
What are the differences?
The Europeans spell Doberman with two nn's and have dropped the Pinscher. Their standard allows for a Doberman to be longer than it is tall (not square), and a 1/2 inch taller than the American standard. Other than that, they are both Dobermans:)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
velmadobe said:
The Europeans spell Doberman with two nn's and have dropped the Pinscher. Their standard allows for a Doberman to be longer than it is tall (not square), and a 1/2 inch taller than the American standard. Other than that, they are both Dobermans:)
THAT IS THE BEST ANSWER I HAVE EVER SEEN TO THAT QUESTION.
Top marks go to Velmadobe!!!
:eek2: :bouncesgr :largegr:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I agree good answer!!!:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
665 Posts
velmadobe said:
Great post. I never knew that was what the difference was!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
velmadobe said:

You get a sticker for that answer!! Great job!!! And you hit the nail on the head!!! :dancing_b

·
Registered
37 Posts
You did forget to mention that the American standard allows several missing teeth. :jonkel:

Addition:

And that fawn and blues allowed for breeding.

·
Registered
880 Posts
lol, and here I thought... here we go again... nice one Velma :D

tines, also euro dobes come only in black and brown. I suggest you use the search function, you should be able to come up with a few american vs. euro discussions

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a question asked and a answer given, with much applouse from different members. Sadly the answer was not the whole truth.
Why is this? I know that you know better.
If you do not want members from continental Europe, just tell, I will leave you allone immediately. I am not here to stirr some Euro vs US dobe stuff.
But I do not accept the sidekicks against the european dogs.
So if you would like a honest discussion, just be honest.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
zedemar said:
There was a question asked and a answer given, with much applouse from different members. Sadly the answer was not the whole truth.
Why is this? I know that you know better.
If you do not want members from continental Europe, just tell, I will leave you allone immediately. I am not here to stirr some Euro vs US dobe stuff.
But I do not accept the sidekicks against the european dogs.
So if you would like a honest discussion, just be honest.
Of course the answer was not the whole truth........I could have posted both standards, but what would it have proven? The little minute details that differentiate what is essentially the same breed??

Yes, the FCI standard has a DQ for missing teeth and the USA standard allows up to 4.........it is not as if a European Doberman never has a missing tooth, and in reality a missing tooth here is pretty much the end of a show career. For that matter, blues and fawns do occur in Europe.......they just seem to send them here, not register them, or heaven forbid cull them so that no one knows that their dog carries dilution. We just accept the fact that they are Dobermans and are not an albino so they are an acceptable color. Reputable breeders do not breed for them because of the coat issues.

They are Dobermans whether you spell it with 1 n or 2. Each continent produces its share of good ones, bad ones, and everything in between. In my original post, I never said a bad word about European Dobermans......just stated some of the differences in the standards and the name. We all get tired of people asking the differences. I see way too many websites looking to make a buck off of the "Euro Dobe" gimmick. The people out there who are breeding reputable European line Dobermans are few and far between.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That was one of the biggest points I wanted to cite that Velma mentioned, they are one breed of dog, that was the reason for her post and the subsiquent "applause", or agreement is more like I see it. I agree 110% that there are good samples of the breed and not so good on either end of the spectrum of American/ Euro.

And advice was given, to do a search and find plenty of discussion about this rather than go back into it again. I did one just to check and there was a ton that came up :)

"But I do not accept the sidekicks against the european dogs."
I don't see any referance to this in this post. Nor do I see any reference here to not wanting members from europe. We have quite a few members from overseas here that I can name, hey two of our Moderators are as a matter of fact (okay one is American just living overseas in all fairness)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Again you do not tell the whole truth, because in reality you and the DPCA has no control over the decicions of the AKC. They give papers to almost everythig what is claimed to be a Doberman.
That there are dishonest breeders on both side of the lake and all over the world, no question.
Since I am from the homeland of the breed and the fact that we breed dobermanns, such statemants really hurts. If the US people misuse the good reputation of european breeders and use the dogs as "gimmick", it is not the fault of the euro dog or breeder, it is your homemade problem.
Sabine and I do really care for our dogs, we title them all, according to their abilities and show them, if they are beautiful enough. We spent almost all of our free time for or with our dogs.
I am frustrated, because of this ongoing discussion we did decide to sell no dog to the US as other reputable breeders in germany did.
So after almost the whole world is free, you become insulated, because you seem like to get, if anyway, the second or third or whatsoever choice.
Your claim is always: Responsible breeders do so or do not so. In reality if you compare the breeders in the US, what percentage would you consider as responible and what percenage as not. What percentage of Dobermans breed in the US are from responsible breeders and what percentage are not?
What percentage of Dobermanns in the US do meet the AKC standard and how many do not?
I see more homepages that try to make a buck from whites, supersized, warlock or whatsoever than from Euro-blood.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"If you do not want members from continental Europe, just tell, I will leave you allone immediately. I am not here to stirr some Euro vs US dobe stuff.
But I do not accept the sidekicks against the european dogs."

zedemar, where did you get the idea from this completely innocent thread that_anyone_ does not want or appreciate participants from the EU? Please do not over-react, as there were absolutely no "sidekicks" against EU dogs, none whatsoever.

I, for one, and I'm sure most other participants on this forum, value contributions from all over the world. Like some participants from North America, you are seeing insults were _none_ were intended.

This subject has been beaten to death, which is why zucker suggested the Search function. Everything that could possibly be said about this subject has already been said, by those of both sides of the Atlantic.

Your contributions and opinions are just as valuable as anyone else so please continue to participate.

·
Registered
474 Posts
velmadobe said:
I see way too many websites looking to make a buck off of the "Euro Dobe" gimmick. The people out there who are breeding reputable European line Dobermans are few and far between.
But how is that different than people advertising dogs from AKC Champion bloodlines, but only have champions listed in the third or fourth generation? I don’t think people who own European Dobermans are selling a gimmick. Of course the bybs will always out number the reputable breeders so it will appear that there are more “Euro gimmick” breeders than reputable breeders using European bloodlines. I feel that it is no different than some one breeding for AKC Champions. For every reputable breeder you can find a ton of bybs advertising “Champion bloodlines” to make a buck. The street goes both ways.

Maybe I am reading too much into your post, but I feel like you are saying anyone who breeds Dobermans from European lines is simply trying to sell a gimmick. I know personally a number of reputable breeders in my area who use these lines for personal reasons NOT to sell a gimmick.

http://www.vonschlottke.com

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
:sadcry:
morrmar said:
This subject has been beaten to death, which is why zucker suggested the Search function. Everything that could possibly be said about this subject has already been said, by those of both sides of the Atlantic.
AMEN! It *always* turns into a "my dog is better than your dog" thing. That serves no good purpose and has been done to death.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Zedemar wrote:

I am just new here in, this short time participating your forum I am also getting the same feeling sorry to say that, thats one of the reason these days when I read some things I decided not to reply anymore!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
morrmar said:
"If you do not want members from continental Europe, just tell, I will leave you allone immediately. I am not here to stirr some Euro vs US dobe stuff.
But I do not accept the sidekicks against the european dogs."

zedemar, where did you get the idea from this completely innocent thread that_anyone_ does not want or appreciate participants from the EU? Please do not over-react, as there were absolutely no "sidekicks" against EU dogs, none whatsoever.

I, for one, and I'm sure most other participants on this forum, value contributions from all over the world. Like some participants from North America, you are seeing insults were _none_ were intended.

Your contributions and opinions are just as valuable as anyone else so please continue to participate.
Well said!! i am cheesed off about this subject ending up in slanging matches,they are Dobermans,Dobermanns,Doberman Pinschers,Dobies,our babies,dam good dogs,show dogs,working dogs,pets,mischievous little buggers who run off with my slippers(sorry Mischa)BUT WE LOVE EM ANYWAYS----I'm in europe or so my goverment tells me ,my dogs are deep rooted in european lines but i would take any of the dobes here tomorrow(and will so watch out)Do we really need to start it all again!!!
WE LOVE OUR DOBES PERIOD
:emo11: :rant: If was ranting but it really is wearing thin.
:help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Tines28,
I'm sure you did not have any idea the can of worms you'd open when you posted this question. As you can plainly see, it is a very heated topic.

Here is a link to both the AKC and FCI standards of the Doberman: http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1971
Since both are quite lengthy, if might be easier if you were to print them and then make a side by side comparison.

I do not feel as though I am censoring either side when I lock this thread. The OP has had their question answered as well as can be - I know we all agree that the horse is so very dead and there is no need to beat it any further.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.