Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back again!

Does anyone have anumber for a good rescue group near Greenville, SC?

Here is the story:

I havent personaly seen the dog, nor do I have pictures of her.

A somewhat friend (not really close, we just know one another) had a dobe show up at her farm last week (I have wondered if she is truthful about hte dog just showing up, but I think I believe her). Its a bitch, cropped and docked, and very pregnant, not thin and not shy or fearful, nor is she aggressive. She had a piece of rope tied around her neck, but the end did not appear to be chewed through. There was a "lease" of rope about 2 feet long.

I recommended a rescue, but the lady who has the dog had a pretty bad experience with rescue before and is afraid of dealing with them. (she had gone to rescue a lab and walked into a very nasty hoarding situation at the "rescue").

This lady does not have the money to take care of a pregnant dog, so I payed for the initial vet exam. She would make a good owner, but her finances kinda worry me. The bitch is a healthy weight (I believe I was told 72 pounds). She has kennel callous's and very nasty teeth. She is also heart worm positive and fec'd postive for round and tapes but not horribly so. The vet felt like she would deliver her pups in a week "or so". I had them run a test for VWD, but havent gotten back results on that yet. (I am paying the vet with my card over the phone and getting results directly from the clinic). She was checked for a chip, but none was found, no tattos found either. Ultrasound revealed six, maybe 7 pups. The vet said that she wads black with a large white stripe on her chest, and he said that she was NOT an attractive dobe. Her crop was way short and poorly shaped and her tail was cropped extremely short as well. He felt that the tail and dewclaws were probably a home job.

This lady wants to keep the bitch, and rehome the puppies, but not through a rescue due to her previous experience. I want her to rehome the bitch due to her finances, but I dont think she will. I have offered to pay for the spay of the bitch after the pups are born and for the expenses of worming (including heartworm treatment) and the postnatal exam, and she agreed to that.

I really want her to sign the pups over to a rescue, but she just will have nothing of it.

I dont know what to do about the puppies. I cannot take in a litter....I have the money and could afford it easily, but I dont have the time. So now what?

If I cannot get these pups turned over to rescue, will a rescue help me home them?

Will they rehome easier if I have the ears cropped? She has plenty of time to care for them, just no money to pay for it. The vet that she is seeing doesnt do crops, so where would I go? What if they are mixed pups, should I still crop?

About spay/neuter.......ALL the pups should be spay/neutered, what is the best way to handle a mass spay/neuter?

Is it just rude or wrong of me to ask a rescue to help me without her turning the bitch or pups over to them? I am prepared to pay the expenses, I just need help with homing and finding the proper vets.

And what should I ask for with the post natal exam?

And finally, the really tacky question. How much would be reasonable for a rehoming fee? I know I will not profit,that doesnt matter, but I would like to regain at least some of my losses here.

Here is the funny part, lol. I'm looking to expand my herd, and she has some nice show quality goats, so she will be compensating me for the bitch's expense in does. lol

And, I'm sorry, I know it sounds bad, but no, I will not keep one of these pups. I still intend to purchase a well bred tested pup in the future.

Any thoughts? Should I bow out on this one, since she wont involve a rescue organization?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Cropping is expensive, who will do the aftercare? If you crop would you mean to sell them? I think that is wrong, the goal is to find homes for them not try to recoup money. Do not throw any cosmetic money at this litter. Why would you crop a mixed breed puppy anyway? You will not make up any expenses just let go of that, forget about selling them that is what a rehoming fee is, you would be trying to sell them. Instead concentrate on just trying to place them. Think of your money as gone, as in poof, that is what rescuing is all about. Good luck to those pups, sounds like they will need it. I have fostered several dogs over the years, raised puppies also, spent my own money to help them. Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to help should do so no strings attached if we step into the arena.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rescue

You might try Brother Wolf rescue group in Asheville NC (about 1 hour away). They have an excellent reputation and a very professional setup. I would urge her to just check the place out and see that not all rescues are hoarders. I disagree with the other poster- I would never rehome a dog without charging something. The reason is that people don't value something that they didn't pay for. The first time they get frustrated over chewing or housebreaking they will dump it if it was free. If the home can't pay say $75 for the puppy than they can not afford to buy its food or pay its vet bills either. I do agree not to bother with the ears.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Have you checked with brokendobe rescue? You could even check with your local shelter and see if they are willing to work with you and her as "fosters"? I agree with hillbilly-music, if she can be shown that there are decent rescues out there and contact them for help...

And forgive me for suggesting it, but is an abort/spay out of the question?

I don't mean to sound cruel but I've been there. Delta was about 2.5weeks from giving birth when I adopted her.

Raising puppies is time-consuming if you are trying to do right by the pups. And expensive. I work full-time and was fortunate enough to have a boss that let me rearrange my schedule to accommodate puppy care.

I didn't ask for a rehoming fee - in my city there's a group that sells lower-cost spay/neuter certificates. The spay/neuter clinics accept them and even most of the more expensive vets will apply credit for the face-value of the certificate. So I had people purchase those in order to adopt a pup, in the hopes that having already paid for the spay/neuter they would be more apt to follow through on it. (They also had to sign a contract saying they would.) Food, shots, worming, etc. all fell on me. I didn't crop or dock, and ended up being glad of that, since the pups grew to look less doberman-like as they got older.

That was 2008. One pup came back to me (remember, if you allow the pups to be born you are responsible for them for the rest of their lives) in 2010 with behaviour problems. I took him to a behaviourist from Auburn University ($$) and still ended up having to put him down.

These days, none of the other puppy owners return my emails. And I thought I had done a good job screening and interviewing them.

While I won't say I regret letting Delta have the pups, honestly, if I ever find myself in that situation again, and I couldn't find a rescue willing to help I'd be seriously considering a spay/abort. Better that than worrying if they ended up alone and scared or at a shelter euthanized later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cropping is expensive, who will do the aftercare? If you crop would you mean to sell them? I think that is wrong, the goal is to find homes for them not try to recoup money. Do not throw any cosmetic money at this litter. Why would you crop a mixed breed puppy anyway? You will not make up any expenses just let go of that, forget about selling them that is what a rehoming fee is, you would be trying to sell them. Instead concentrate on just trying to place them. Think of your money as gone, as in poof, that is what rescuing is all about. Good luck to those pups, sounds like they will need it. I have fostered several dogs over the years, raised puppies also, spent my own money to help them. Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to help should do so no strings attached if we step into the arena.
IF they are cropped, the lady would do the aftercare with assistance from the vet, She has done boxers before, so she is not a total newb at ears. If they are obviously mixed, I doubt they would be cropped, but at this point we dont know if she will have mixed puppied or not, so I am trying to make some arrangements now. What I need to know is how it will effect the placing of doberman pups......will they be easier to place in good homes if they are cropped?

As for the money thing, wow. Yes, a rehoming fee is selling them, so yes they would be SOLD. Go look at ANY rescue organization (not saying that I am a resuce organization), they don't GIVE dogs away, they charge a fee partialy to help assure a good home for the dog and partialy to recoup a little of the money. Rescuing is not all about POOF the money is gone......its about being smart with the money so that you can help as many dogs as possible.

Do you KNOW what sort of people look for a free no strings attached dog? Please tell me that you dont honestly think that is a good idea. If you do, you seriously need to rethink some things.

You can think I am wrong all you want. But whether the pups are mixed or not, there WILL be strings attached, ie house dogs, vet references, fenced yard, people must own their home etc. And yes, they will be sold, while I certainly dont expect to get all the money back, I will recoup what I can, while also having the peace of mind of knowing they went into a home with people that will spend money on a dog........thus take better care of the pup.

No strings attached, indeed. Kudos to you for fostering, btw.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
I recommended a rescue, but the lady who has the dog had a pretty bad experience with rescue before and is afraid of dealing with them.
Unfortunately, a lot of people have a negative opinion of rescue. Many people believe rescue = hoarding.
The vet said [the pregnant dog] was black with a large white stripe on her chest, and he said that she was NOT an attractive dobe. Her crop was way short and poorly shaped and her tail was cropped extremely short as well. He felt that the tail and dewclaws were probably a home job.
It is possible the dog is not a purebred Dobe. The previous owner was told she was PB and believed it, or knew she wasn't PB and was trying to pass her off as PB.
This lady wants to keep the bitch, and rehome the puppies, but not through a rescue due to her previous experience.
It is likely the pups aren't PB. If I were in this situation, I would arrange with an all-breed rescue to take the pups when they are 8 weeks old and vax'd and dewormed. I wouldn't tell the acquaintance about this arrangement and just tell her I will take the pups when they're old enough and find homes for them. If she asks who the adopters are, you can say something about confidentiality or privacy.
I want her to rehome the bitch due to her finances, but I dont think she will.
I would stay in touch with her and just let her know I'm there for her if she needs help rehoming the momma dog in the future. And I would stay in touch with a Dobe rescue group. NOTE: many Dobes don't do well with livestock (high prey drive). The momma dog may be okay around the goats for a month or so, but be prepared to get a panicked call in the near future from your acquaintance saying the dog needs to go "NOW!" because she won't leave the goats alone.
Will they rehome easier if I have the ears cropped?
If they are PB, then yes--but only if your acquaintance can do a week of aftercare. If they are not PB, I wouldn't bother. But I would make very sure the dam and pups are PB before going through the hassle and expense.
ALL the pups should be spay/neutered, what is the best way to handle a mass spay/neuter?
If the pups are placed through a rescue, then the rescue will deal with that. If you (and your acquaintance) will be handling the placements yourselves, then, technically, you are selling the pups (even though it will be at a loss). I suggest you set the sales price to equal the cost of the spay/neuter. Then forward the money to the vet of the adopter's choice to be left as a deposit towards the cost of speutering only--the funds cannot be used for anything else until the pup has been speutered. If the dog is not speutered within a certain time frame, then the deposit is forfeited. Most people don't want to lose something they've "already paid for".
Is it just rude or wrong of me to ask a rescue to help me without her turning the bitch or pups over to them?
Not necessarily. As long as the pups are fully vetted, placed appropriately and the momma is spayed, there are rescue groups that will help, even though they may not have legal or physical custody of the animal(s).
How much would be reasonable for a rehoming fee?
One option I mentioned above. Another would be, if you are confident the adopter will speuter their pup, then set the sales price to be comparable to the ones at your local animal control facility or animal shelter.
...I would like to regain at least some of my losses here.
Completely understandable and I don't see a problem with that.
Here is the funny part, lol. I'm looking to expand my herd, and she has some nice show quality goats, so she will be compensating me for the bitch's expense in does. lol
Since an arrangement such as this might get complicated, I recommend drawing up a contract. If you can slide in a clause about the pups becoming your legal property, then she won't be able to demand the return of them should she discover you have surrendered them to a rescue group.

Thank you so much for caring about this momma dog and her litter and for putting your concern into action. I wish you the best of luck for a happy ending for all the dogs.:kiss:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hillbilly.......thanks for the suggestion. I will look them up and try to convince her to just go see them without the dog at first. She needs to see a good rescue operation.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wow! What a story. Big thanks for caring enough to try to do something for this poor girl and her pups. Stories like this tear at my heart because it is so similar to the circumstances in which we ended up with our first Dobe — and he was a wonderful guy.

Given this dog`s situation, the sire may not even be a Dobe, so cropping and docking may not be an issue. Sorry, I can`t help with responses to any of your other questions.

Please keep us updated as the situation evolves. I`m keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that everything turns out well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kenya, THANK you!

I like the idea of going to get the pups myself and then just turning them over to a rescue. I guess it could be construed as dishonest, lol, but I dont think I care at this point. Rehoming these pups myself really worries me. Even if I follow your suggestions, I will wonder if they got spay/neutered, but a rescue can hold them long enough to do the surgery BEFORE they go "home". I cant do that, I dont have the time to care for them through the surgery.

I have already drawn up a contract agreement for the reimbursement from this lady, but including the pups in it is a brilliant idea, and her agreement to sign that contract would definately simplify things for me.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Kenya, THANK you!

I like the idea of going to get the pups myself and then just turning them over to a rescue. I guess it could be construed as dishonest, lol, but I dont think I care at this point. Rehoming these pups myself really worries me. Even if I follow your suggestions, I will wonder if they got spay/neutered, but a rescue can hold them long enough to do the surgery BEFORE they go "home". I cant do that, I dont have the time to care for them through the surgery.

I have already drawn up a contract agreement for the reimbursement from this lady, but including the pups in it is a brilliant idea, and her agreement to sign that contract would definately simplify things for me.
I think, and this is just me, but if you are being given the pups after they are weaned, and she agrees to let you rehome them as you see fit, and she considers her part done as far as the puppies are concerned at that point, then it is up to you to deal with those puppies as you see fit in their best interest, and if sending them to a reputable, well organized and clean rescue that is more able to adequately rehome them than you are then that is your choice, is it not? You agreed to find them a safe place, provide them with proper care and see that they each end up in loving homes, and if that is best done through a rescue then I would think it would be your choice if she doesnt want to deal with homing them herself. The moment she turns the decision over to you it is out of her hands. I dont want to sound cruel but its the truth. If you were to foster them while they are searching for homes to help in the care of them then more blessing on you for doing so. And in that respect I guess she wouldnt really suspect that a rescue was doing the rehoming of them either.

·
Super Moderator
22,318 Posts
What a tough situation. I just wanted to say thank you for trying to get this girl (and her pups) spayed/neutered. I hope you can find a way to get the pups to rescue.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
You said you wanted to recoup some money, that is what you said. You are not a rescue but a good samaritian helping a dog and pups in need. Strings attached does not mean you have to recoup the money you spent. My puppies all went to "approved" homes but I had no intention of selling them. Same with the various litter of kitties I have bottle fed and vetted. Rescues need to have money to provide for the dogs and cats, they need buildings to house them and on a larger scale this costs a lot. Sorry but to me if I rescue a dog from the street then I get vet care for it, spay/neuter it, do some training my goal is a good home, I expect the money I spend to be gone. I think the recoup my loss phrase was bothersome to me. I know I would not spend 500 for a puppy from a bitch who was found, has no history, has terrible conformation and you don't know who the stud is. If you crop them you will have to sell them for about 500 because cropping is expensive. Most ligit rescues do not crop puppies. If you crop them at 300-500 (it is about 450.00 here in So Cal) a piece it seems that the wrong caliber of people might be wanting one of those pups. I don't feel it is right to sell them for 500 unless you are a rescue that has overhead, many mouths to feed and sick dogs that need care. GSD rescue here sells pups for 300.00, adults from 200-500 and that money goes to supporting the dogs in boarding and medical care for seriously ill dogs. No desire to argue about this, I'm sure you will care for the pups and find good homes.

As for the money thing, wow. Yes, a rehoming fee is selling them, so yes they would be SOLD. Go look at ANY rescue organization (not saying that I am a resuce organization), they don't GIVE dogs away, they charge a fee partialy to help assure a good home for the dog and partialy to recoup a little of the money. Rescuing is not all about POOF the money is gone......its about being smart with the money so that you can help as many dogs as possible.

Do you KNOW what sort of people look for a free no strings attached dog? Please tell me that you dont honestly think that is a good idea. If you do, you seriously need to rethink some things.

You can think I am wrong all you want. But whether the pups are mixed or not, there WILL be strings attached, ie house dogs, vet references, fenced yard, people must own their home etc. And yes, they will be sold, while I certainly dont expect to get all the money back, I will recoup what I can, while also having the peace of mind of knowing they went into a home with people that will spend money on a dog........thus take better care of the pup.

No strings attached, indeed. Kudos to you for fostering, btw.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked with brokendobe rescue? You could even check with your local shelter and see if they are willing to work with you and her as "fosters"? I agree with hillbilly-music, if she can be shown that there are decent rescues out there and contact them for help...

First off, I missed your post earlier today, when I responded to the others. I apologize, and I hope you didnt think I was being intentionaly rude.

oof. I dont think you are cruel about the predelivery spay. Honestly, the thought did cross my mind, and I probably would have pursued that thought if she wasnt so far along. It would be the easier and least costly route to take, but I just dont have the heart to do it. I did that with a cat once, and I felt horrible. I dont have a problem with others doing it.......but I can't. I'd rather find a way to keep the whole litter, lol. Hubby tells me that he worries that my heart will outgrow my wallet.

I'm hoping that I can get her to visit a couple rescues and see what a good rescue is like. I will google brokendobe, along with the other suggestions that have been given here.

Thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK hun, you are the one that came up with the 500$.......not me. I was thinking more in the range of 75 -100$. Yes, it would be asinine to ask that much for these pups, which is why I never intended to ask that much for them to begin with. How presumptive of you.

Go back and re-read my reply to you. You will see my reasons for not giving the pups away, as well as my telling you that I was not rescue........not sure what sort of point you were trying to make by telling me I am not a rescue.

Yes, I will say it one more time for you...I intend to recoup SOME (and is not all) of my losses. So, no I would not have to charge 500$......because I just want SOME not all. If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it. But I will be the bad person that makes sure the pups go to a good home that will prove to me that they believe a dog is worth a little money, while at the same time getting a little money back to spend on the next dog that comes along.

YOU are the one making these pups all about the money.

I came here for some suggestions on rescue organizations........everyone else on here has been tremendously helpful, but you are trifling and presumptive and your lecturing is doing nothing but annoying me.

If you have nothing beneficial to add, please dont bother to reply to this thread. I will not respond to you again.

You said you wanted to recoup some money, that is what you said. You are not a rescue but a good samaritian helping a dog and pups in need. Strings attached does not mean you have to recoup the money you spent. My puppies all went to "approved" homes but I had no intention of selling them. .

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
It is never a good idea to give a dog or puppy away that is how some people that fight dogs get their bait animals if they have to pay out some monies maybe a better home for the dog or pup.
Rescues are aware of ways to keep dogs & pups from going into bad situations usually.

·
_______
5,102 Posts

I don't mean to sound cruel but I've been there. Delta was about 2.5weeks from giving birth when I adopted her.

Raising puppies is time-consuming if you are trying to do right by the pups. And expensive. I work full-time and was fortunate enough to have a boss that let me rearrange my schedule to accommodate puppy care.

I didn't ask for a rehoming fee - in my city there's a group that sells lower-cost spay/neuter certificates. The spay/neuter clinics accept them and even most of the more expensive vets will apply credit for the face-value of the certificate. So I had people purchase those in order to adopt a pup, in the hopes that having already paid for the spay/neuter they would be more apt to follow through on it. (They also had to sign a contract saying they would.) Food, shots, worming, etc. all fell on me. I didn't crop or dock, and ended up being glad of that, since the pups grew to look less doberman-like as they got older.

That was 2008. One pup came back to me (remember, if you allow the pups to be born you are responsible for them for the rest of their lives) in 2010 with behaviour problems. I took him to a behaviourist from Auburn University ($$) and still ended up having to put him down.

These days, none of the other puppy owners return my emails. And I thought I had done a good job screening and interviewing them.
While I won't say I regret letting Delta have the pups, honestly, if I ever find myself in that situation again, and I couldn't find a rescue willing to help I'd be seriously considering a spay/abort. Better that than worrying if they ended up alone and scared or at a shelter euthanized later.
This tears me up. I'm sorry that happened to you. I am so not in a people mood tonight, people suck, especially smooth slick liars & outright flakes. Omg

Redtail, good luck with this situation. I'm sort of leary after she said she already had experience w/boxer ears. I dunno, just something about it.
Would she be the type to schmooze you for help then back out?
In any case curious what becomes of the predicament.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
q743:

I dont know if she would smooze me. Right now any money I have paid has gone directly to the vet's office. I hate to sound ugly, but I have thus far refused to send any cash directly to her, and I dont think I will. I'm not the most trusting person.

I sent her an email, with a typed version of the contract I wanted us to sign, and will fax it to the vets office tomorrow. I havent gotten a response from her yet. I think if she refuses I may act on Leleil's advice, and cut off all monetary support with the exception of a spay/abort procedure.

It sickens me to even think of it. I've been slammed this month.......Pita, a doberboy that was dumped and ended up at my home (he was rehomed and is doing FABULOUS), then a rescue horse that had to be euth'd, and now this girl.

I couldnt be a rescue organization, its depressing just trying to help a few animals.

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
There's nothing wrong with wanting to re-coup some losses on the dogs you help. One of my fosters cost me over 1K in vet bills due to a stump pyometra. I got a $300 adoption fee for her. I loved helping rescue when I had the space. Getting an adoption fee allowed me to continue helping others.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Wow, did you call me "hun" ? Yeah ya did LOL. I never ever said you were a bad person, goodness, you protest too much and are getting way too angry. In fact I said it was good you were helping. Discussion is just that. You asked, it was must my opinion. Everyone seems to agree with you so you don't have "defend" yourself as if cornered in such a way being nasty and derogatory as if I attacked you. I'm not being nasty to you. I do things differently that's all. I spent thousands on a very ill rescue macaw, I finally found the perfect home for her and I didn't charge plus I sent her with her expensive cage that I purchased. I still keep in contact with that person and it was years ago, wonderful home. When I worked with the SPCA, many years ago, I kept puppies, got them well and then the organization helped me place them. This is a chat, we express ideas and discuss them. People don't always agree and being able to dscuss things amicably helps further understanding and communication. I do think it is very nice that you are helping these pups and I hope they find wonderful home quickly. I am bowing out now...

OK hun, you are the one that came up with the 500$.......not me. I was thinking more in the range of 75 -100$. Yes, it would be asinine to ask that much for these pups, which is why I never intended to ask that much for them to begin with. How presumptive of you.

Go back and re-read my reply to you. You will see my reasons for not giving the pups away, as well as my telling you that I was not rescue........not sure what sort of point you were trying to make by telling me I am not a rescue.

Yes, I will say it one more time for you...I intend to recoup SOME (and is not all) of my losses. So, no I would not have to charge 500$......because I just want SOME not all. If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it. But I will be the bad person that makes sure the pups go to a good home that will prove to me that they believe a dog is worth a little money, while at the same time getting a little money back to spend on the next dog that comes along.

YOU are the one making these pups all about the money.

I came here for some suggestions on rescue organizations........everyone else on here has been tremendously helpful, but you are trifling and presumptive and your lecturing is doing nothing but annoying me.

If you have nothing beneficial to add, please dont bother to reply to this thread. I will not respond to you again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Firstly, congrats on your efforts. I have been in a similar situation before, although, I managed to get a hold of the dog myself, and simply handled it on my own without the middle person. It made things easier.

Anyways, I just wanted to chime in to bring up something that has yet to be mentioned.
Although the pups will socialize with themselves and their mother for the first few weeks, they will need extensive socialization with different objects, environments, situations, and people by the time they leave.
This is always one of my biggest concerns when it comes to rescued litters. More often than not, people are concerned about health, money, and homes. The thing is, every puppy is cute, so they will find homes as little ones. It's what you send them away with that will determine their ability to stay in that home.
If you allow the pups to stay in a tiny room with minimal exposure (many rescues do this in fear of exposing the pups to any potential contaminants), they will mature into dogs will much higher risk of fearful reactions (insecurity) and poor social manners.

I would recommend looking into a bunch of things for the pups:
- Early Neurological Stimulation Program (essentially, it is stimulation of the senses to help the pups develop more quickly, completely, and efficiently, giving them a better ability to bounce-back and adapt)
http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFiles/articles/early_neurological_stimulation_en.pdf
- Various challenges/stimulations throughout their growth (yes, even for pups less than a week old)
o 1-4 weeks
 One-on-one time with individual pups to have them follow your finger (with momma’s milk on it) over rolled hand towels/stuffed animals/empty or almost empty paper towel rolls (even before they open their eyes)
 Different textured surfaces to walk on (ex. Smooth blankets, shag carpet, newspaper, small ramps etc)
 Different textures to play with (ex. rubber kong toys, soft stuffed animals, etc both on the ground and hanging above their heads like piñatas)
o 4-8 weeks
 Continued stimulation as previous weeks
 Introduce visual and auditory stimulation (ex. Rumble balls, safe/appropriate children’s toys that light-up)
 Increase surface challenges (ex. Balance discs, wobble boards, small overlapping hoops or ladders on the ground, etc)
- Have “strangers” (to the pups) visit to sit with them, handle them, make noises, etc
o Adults, young children, older children, seniors, people with disabilities, etc
- Introduce the pups to pottying outside, and having a kennel available to sleep in (this early exposure allowed me to have an 8 week old pup sleep through an 8hr night in a crate, no problem, right from day one)
- Bring the pups on safe field trips to places where they can see and hear commotion, but won't be bombarded by scary strangers (i.e. random people who want to get way too close, way too fast, without any thought to whether the pups are even ok with this scary new situation). Often, sitting with the pups in the back of the car in a busy parking lot is good. Lots of sights, sounds, and smells, but you may not get as much human traffic directly at your car. Do not ever be afraid to tell people to give the puppies their space.

Good luck with everything. I hope all works out for pups and momma.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts