Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can tell that this is the place to get a good honest answer, so someone please help. Before I found this site and doing a lot of research, I spoke to a breeder a few weeks ago. I agreed to go see the puppies and was really wanting a male. They said the male may be going somewhere else already but I could come see them in case it didn't work out. So I did and I left thinking "no way". No parents on site with pups just 6 wks. So they call today to confirm the male is taken. They listed the others available, except for a female that I saw. I asked about her and they say, "we'll, I was going to keep her but I guess if you want her I will sell her."

So, everything about this tells me to run, except now I can't stop thinking about that girl. She will be bred, repeatedly I'm sure, and I know that. Or, I could take her while she's small ( just 6 wks), get her fixed and give her a happy home. I'm very torn. I hate putting $$ in these people's pockets but I hate leaving a little pup there when I could help her.

So, please, go on. Tell me what to do here!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It sucks but you need to leave the puppy be. Putting the money in the "breeder's" hands just allows her to breed more. If the puppies have no parents on sight at that young age I'm pretty sure that you can report the breeder.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If the puppies have no parents on sight at that young age I'm pretty sure that you can report the breeder.
I really doubt that.

I really don't think enough information has been provided to say for sure what kind of breeder this might be. What do you know other than neither parent is on the premises? I personally don't think that's enough to indict anyone. I can think of a very well bred litter who was whelped by a co owner and taken back to the primary breeder's house at around the same age a week or so ago. So-a situation where neither parent is on the premises....

The breeder in question here may or may not be a byb. I'm not defending them in any way. I just think people need to get more hard facts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking on their site, I saw alteast 15 dogs, no Champions back for 2 generations. Comments were made that this is done for the purpose of income.
I just want a family pet...but I do not want to support this so I'm torn

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I think you know what you *should* do...what will you do though?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Looking on their site, I saw alteast 15 dogs, no Champions back for 2 generations. Comments were made that this is done for the purpose of income.
I just want a family pet...but I do not want to support this so I'm torn
Okay, this is more convincing info that just no parents on premises.

I wouldn't support them. One thing you can count on is there's always another litter coming along, always more puppies out there to consider.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I agree with everyone here, leave the pup. You will not be rescuing her, just encouraging the byb to breed more. If every single person thought like you did and went and got that puppy he has every intention to breed more puppies. But if you trust your gut feeling and leave the puppy and more people thought that way, the byb will be left with all these puppies that he has to re home and a lot of times if he cant find homes the drop them off at a rescue or some sort of kennel. If you want to to rescue then go to a shelter, and not the byb.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
826 Posts
just walk away... there was another thread similar recently.. countless wonderful replies that in the end the op decided to ignore..I think its such a shame that people getting this sort of advice still put money into greeders hands I mean.. COME ON!!!

do the right thing and leave her be, seriously.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know it's hard thinking about those little puppies, you just want to "save" one. Especially after you see them. That's why I've never went and looked at a litter. I've been on this forum for almost two years, and I'm still Dobe-less. It's not because there are no puppies- I could have gotten 100 puppies off Kijiji and Craigslist by now. But I want a dog who comes from parents with sound minds and bodies.
I've heard so many stories about people having to get rid of their Dobes or put them down for aggression- I don't want to be one of those people. You really want to know as much as possible about their lines, and know that their breeders have the absolute best intentions in mind with every single breeding.
Keep looking. You WILL find your puppy, you just need to look around.
Good luck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yay for you!!!! I know it is very hard to walk away. They all look so sweet and innocent and then our mothering instinct comes out. Good for you to be so steadfast in your will. I know it's hard.

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Good for you. I'm sure it's hard but you're making the ethically right decision. I wish everyone had the strength and conviction to walk away from those kinds of breeders...then they wouldn't exist. In a perfect world...

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Good for you for not getting the puppy. Like others have said if you "rescue" one pup by giving them money for it, they will just breed again, because they've gotten what they want, namely, your money. The more people they can convince to "rescue" a pup by buying it, the more money they make.

Speaking of rescueing a puppy, have you looked into getting a pup from a rescue organization? While adults may be more common in rescues, they do get puppies. As for myself, I don't like dealing with baby puppies, and would prefer an older pup or adult, anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have looked at the pics on the local rescue. I'm a little hesitant because I have small kids and I would prefer a pup to be raised with them from the beginning. Has anyone had success with rescues and small kids? Any advice there? I guess I could at least speak with them about or situation. I assume they wouldnt recommend a dog that doesn'take sense for us. Also, I'm concerned about being able to train an older dog. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I've always had good luck training dogs from puppies.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I have looked at the pics on the local rescue. I'm a little hesitant because I have small kids and I would prefer a pup to be raised with them from the beginning. Has anyone had success with rescues and small kids? Any advice there? I guess I could at least speak with them about or situation. I assume they wouldnt recommend a dog that doesn'take sense for us. Also, I'm concerned about being able to train an older dog. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I've always had good luck training dogs from puppies.
It depends on the dog, and the rescue. Some dogs do behavioral tests for the dogs and see what their personalities are like, and what they like and dislike. They try to have as complete a history on the dog as possible. Some rescues will not adopt to people with small kids, just out of hand.

So, contact them and see what their rules are, and work with them. I've heard that rescue dogs, while sometimes come with a baggage of their own, are frequently not difficult to train at all, and integrate well into households. Others have problems. Either way, you probably get to skip potty training!

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
An adult rescue that they know is "kid proof" would probably be a good bet. My Gin was raised by a family with kids, although they didn't play with her much. As a matter of fact, their 2 year old daughter hit Gin (then an 8 week old puppy) in the eye with a coat-hanger, and Gin had to have her right eye removed at the age of 6 months. In spite of that, Gin always liked kids, and was very tolerant. She was 10 when my daughter was born, and she was great with the baby, never bothered her, or anything.

As for training an older dog, Gin had absolutely no manners when I got her at the age of 2. Everything she learned, I taught her. My Rat Terrier, Lucky, went to class for the first time at the age of 10, because he forgot all his manners after I got Ilka. Lucky got his CGC at the age of 11. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You'd be amazed at the dogs you can find in rescue. Some dogs that end up in the shelter are well-socialized and have some training. Most dogs that go to a shelter, were not abandoned because there was something wrong with them. They were abandoned because there was something wrong with the family.

"No time" "Didn't realize a Great Dane would get this big" "I didn't realize border collies were so hyper!" "Landlord found out". "Moved into a new place and didn't want to pay pet deposit". "Didn't realize a dog was so much work..." "I didn't realize a Malamute required so much grooming..." "We got a new puppy and they don't get along, so we're getting rid of the older dog."

That is why most dogs go to rescues and shelters. So you still have the opportunity to find a great dog in rescue. Some may have issues from abuse or neglect, but most are simply just family cast offs.

And many rescues and shelters get puppies... Though, most of the rescue dogs I know that were adopted by families were adult adoptions from rescues that knew a little about the dog's personality. Rescues that have dogs in foster homes usually can tell one quite a bit about the dog.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts