Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday Tycoon had his appointment at the cardiologist. (whom I loved) He feels Ty is just beginning the stages of Overt DCM. He confirmed everything I suspected, the restlessness, the S3 gallop, the systolic heart murmur....
He has a holter on now and the results will tell us if we should place him on an anti-arrythmic. Maybe sotolol.

He is on:
Vetmedin 10mg twice a day
Lisinopril 20mg daily
Aldactone 50mg daily
Also OTC supplements

Last night was another horrible night, restless, so we brought him to bed with us and he finally was able to sleep. His appetite is good but now he seems nervous. He is scared to even go near his crate (which is no big deal we can keep him out) Now for some reason he is affraid to go outside for potty. (which oddly enough he usually enjoys)

To me quality of life includes a sense of enjoyment. I can't stand to see Ty suffering. The question arises, when is enough, enough? My husband and I are now taking him where ever we go. He does enjoy that still. But yet I can see personality changes in Tycoon and I wonder what HE must be feeling.

I have decided that once he starts going into CHF I will need to make a decision. I am already devastated just thinking about this. I wish he could just be running around with Lexie and Rocco and just drop. Doing something he was being happy doing.

Sorry so long, I am just really feeling bad and its nice to have a place to get support with other people that love their dogs like family.

Lisa
:(

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Sorry for Tycoon, you and your family.

You are absolutely right when you say quality of life includes a sense of enjoyment, and no one wants to see their pet suffer, especially when we already know what the outcome will be.

We are sending good vibes out to Ty and hope his remaining time on earth is comfortable, enjoyable and full of him being spoiled.

Shaun

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My heart goes out to you........we have walked in your steps with our first doberman Duke. We talked with the vet and told him we would make the decision when and it was time.It wasn't long after that..Duke slept with us also and he had problems breathing,and going to the bathroom. I called the vet and told him I was coming in my husband couldn't go. I held him in my arms as he was given the shot...that was 20 years ago....I still have tears thinking about it.
You will know when it's time.........my prayers are with you!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Bless your heart and bless Tycoon's heart too. I'm surprised if he knows what's going on but he may know something is amiss with him.

My Wheeler lost a ton of weight with DCM but he stayed active and did not seem fearful. Thank You God I did not have to make the decision you will face because Wheeler died in his sleep.

I am so sorry you are having to go thru this. These magnificent animals and the owners who love them just should not be cursed with this disease.

If and when the time comes, you will know it and I don't think you will need to second guess yourself.

So sorry you are going thru this.

KC/Linda

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I guess in some sense we were lucky, Lucy slowed down, but l think she was happy until the end. As long as she was with her daddy, she was happy. My husband was retired and spent 24 hrs a day with her. She loved to go in the van (of course it was outfitted to make her comfy), she went everywhere with him and she loved everybody she met. He used to take her to see my mother in a skilled nursing facility. After he spent time with my mother he and Lucy would visit everyone else. The day before we put her down she fainted, we rushed her to the ER and they said there was nothing they could do for her. She fainted the next day and we were afraid she would hurt herself. The shot took a while to work, the vet said her heart was beating so slow and that she probably wouldn't have lasted the day. She was a real trooper. You will know when it's time, they will look at you and you will know. Hugs to you and yours.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am sorry Ty is going thru this. It is devastating to watch our usually brave, lovable and happy dog start loosing his confidence and become very dependent on you, with fewer and fewer happy times. You will probably know when it is time, but you could pick out 3 or 4 things he normally enjoys doing and when those times are gone decide if it is time to let him go. Most all of us have been there, but the decision of when to end your pet's life is one of your hardest decisions you will make in your life. Words cant express enough understanding and sympathy. My heart bleeds for you and Ty.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Your family is in my thoughts. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

(((HUGS))) to you and Ty.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that the cardiologist didn't have better news for you.

For me, personally, I would rather let my pets go a little too soon than a little too late. Quality of life is huge to me, and if they aren't feeling good enough to enjoy the things they love, it's time to let them go. One of my cats, at the end, stopped wanting to snuggle. Since that was her favorite thing to do, I knew it was time to let her go.

You are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Today I am having a really hard time keeping it together. Doesn't take much to open the flood gates. I feel its very therapeutic though. I love the idea of waiting for Ty to stop enjoying the things he loves to let me know its time. I too, may be inclined to let him go a little sooner than later. I have seen many people suffer from CHF and keeping in mind they have the ability to "reason and understand", I just can't allow my beautiful big love bug to suffer at all. So for now I will enjoy every moment I have. Again, thank you all so much for the understanding words. It is giving me much comfort.
Lisa

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I'd say to give it a little time for the meds to kick in first. My Kai was a little odd his first week. There was improvement with the vetmedin, but it took a few days for the lasix to get all the fluid out of his lungs. For whatever reason, when he first started meds Kai didn't want to be in his kennel and his behaviour was a little off.

If it were me, when the meds were not effective in keeping him comfortable I'd seriously start considering quality of life.

The important thing is that you live in the moment and cherish each day. Make each day special. I can honestly say that I have no regrets other than I wish he was well enough to still be here!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Our little terrier is on Lasix and Enalapril. We knew she had a heart murmur and when she started coughing and had rapid breathing I knew it wasn't good. She to was restless at night. The coughing, etc started two months ago. She is doing well now but I know the meds are not a cure but she is comfortable for now. She does have CHF but the vet said she is not on her death bed. She had a checkup this past Tuesday and the vet said her lungs are much clearer. Her energy has picked up a bit to. I'm just saying give the meds a chance to help and hopefully you will get more time with your boy and he will be more comfortable. Hang in there and big hugs for you and your boy.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I too, may be inclined to let him go a little sooner than later. I have seen many people suffer from CHF and keeping in mind they have the ability to "reason and understand", I just can't allow my beautiful big love bug to suffer at all.
Yeah, my motto has become "better a day too soon than a day too late". And being honest, the older I get, the more dogs I lose, the less I try to hang on. I'm not saying I don't give dogs a fair chance-but I'm totally realistic about the fact these diseases are TERMINAL, the end stages are VERY ugly, and it's better for them to go when they have more good days than bad.

Lisa, you've really hit the nail on the head about your cardiac patients with CHF can reason and understand. It's really AWFUL to see a dog literally drowning in fluid. It's scary enough for you to see, you really can't imagine how terrifying it must be for an animal who can't understand what's happening. So I just don't practice that many heroics any more.

I give DCM dogs time for the meds to kick in and work. What I've found is the time period you have from the time you begin on meds to the first crash is the longest "normal" time you're going to have. You might be able to stabilize them again by tweaking their meds after that first crash, but you WON'T have as long the second or third time, etc, and it becomes constant tweaking, and I'm just not going to do that to them.

So my dogs get one chance, I enjoy the time that one chance provides..and then we say good night, good bye.

Take this the right way, but I hope Tycoon never really goes into CHF, I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory through sudden death never knowing whats happened,just like his mother and great grandmother did...they were some of the lucky ones.

Give Goony Coony a big hug and kiss from grandma Cheryl, and maybe even a bite on the ear from his old friend, Razzle. My heart is breaking with yours!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts