Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Encouraging protective behavior

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Adara 
Luci alerts whenever someone comes to the house, unless she knows them/their car. She used to bark whenever someone walked down the street, when I first rescued her, now she'll go to the window and she may do one alert bark then she looks at me and I tell her good girl, that's enough, or I thank her or whatever. I like that she's so in tune with our surroundings that she lets me know when someone is in our yard. One day a guy came to the door, a salesman of some sort or something, I was a little uneasy b/c he wasn't taking "no I don't want you to come in and demo your product" for an answer and Luci was sitting next to me the whole time just watching. She had barked when he came to the door but then I put her in a sit next to me while he was giving his spill. Well, like I said, he wasn't taking my no and it was making me a tad uncomfortable and the guy went to scratch his head and when he raised his arm up I don't know if Luci thought he was going to hit me or what (she was abused in the past) but when he raised his hand/arm she immediatly did her low, I mean business, growl...... she didn't move from my side, just started growling low in her throat and she was showing a little bit of teeth. Needless to say the guy left very quickly. Luci watched out the window until his car pulled out of the drive then she was back to her normal, sweet self.

Sorry for the novel, but I do encourage natural protective instincts so long as she listens to me when I tell her that everything is "ok".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.