Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emailing in regards to an apartment:
Me: A question is in regards to your pet policy-We have a large breed dog that is very well behaved and gentle, are their restrictions on size or breed?

Property manager: We don't have weight limits on dogs but we don't take any aggressive breeds.

Me: Thanks for the information. Which breeds do you consider fall under the "aggressive" category?

Property manager: There are a lot, what breed of dog do you have?
Me: No response. I was tempted to respond with: “by ‘aggressive breeds,’ do you mean bad owners?” or “by ‘there are a lot’ do you mean that there are a lot of bad or irresponsible owners?” but something tells me that would not have been well received.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This is not unusual. It's the insurance companies that place the regulations on property rental companies with regards to certain breeds.

If you're looking for a rental, I would check out private owned home/duplex rentals.

Be sure to add your doberman as a resident to any lease you sign.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha I was tempted to email back:

Which would be worse? If I have a dog breed with a bad rep that is the most gentle loving pup, or an aggressive dog with a history of biting whose breed has never been on the "aggressive" breed list?

I am all for meeting dogs before you allow them to live in your complex but some of the most aggressive dogs I have met are on the "friendly and gentle list"

*How naive of me to think that people have a role in how their dog behaves (haha)...what a concept...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is not unusual. It's the insurance companies that place the regulations on property rental companies with regards to certain breeds.

If you're looking for a rental, I would check out private owned home/duplex rentals.

Be sure to add your doberman as a resident to any lease you sign.
We have definitely found that this happens a lot (and were aware of before getting a dobie)...just to clarify, we live somewhere that is totally okay with us having a doberman and we aren't worried about not finding a place to live as we could always stay where we are at (we are just looking for a different area possibly)...

Thanks for the advice on adding our dog as a resident-we are definitely looking for private owned homes/units...maybe we can find some dobie owners (or connections thereof) within the Seattle area!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, with the natural ears.. from your sig pic, you could say he's a weimereiner.
haha we joke about that a lot...he also has a long tail doc (a few joints too long, done by someone that didn't know what they were doing but we don't know the story there (adoption)) so I think he could pass haha...

Maybe if someone is ignorant enough to think that all dobies are aggressive they will also be uninformed enough not to be able to tell the difference between a dobie and weim...:)

·
Registered
939 Posts
DR beat me to the punch... nice lookin' Weim you've got there :D

We're renters too, and found the best luck with renting through private parties.. you know, someone who owns the house and just needs one tennant, nothing corporate like all the apartment complexes are, so they're more negotiable. Usually nicer, too!

Good luck!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Having a Canine Good Citizenship certificate from AKC might help also.
This.

OP dig around all over the place for a class & instructor qualified to give the test. Maybe start contacting local doberman people(breeders off DPCA) who would know where to go.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Even with Bacchus being my service dog the woman who was handling my apartment application insisted that because he was a doberman he couldn't live there, service dog or not. I calmly told her to contact her legal department. I really don't blame her, I blame the management company for not properly educating her.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Keep in mind that it may NOT be personal at all. Rules are rules. And insurance companies have strict rules. The person you dealt with may or may not agree with them, but they are the rules.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts