Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elsa - Themiscyra's Step Into Your Power 2K9 went to her first three show weekends ever, after getting only 2 practices ever. (At home we did practice her having her mouth handled for the bite/dentition and we practiced her cooperating at having her feet and legs repositioned but nothing formal and nothing about gaiting, attitude etc.)

Well her first weekend out she kicked off spectacularly with a 5 point major, earning WB and BOW in a competitive lineup, losing out only to a special for BOB!

The following weekend she got no love in the breed ring (as the handlers said this is a terrible age for a dog because the judges will be more forgiving of the younger dogs/puppies, but your 16 month old does not look as mature as your 18 and 24 month+ olds) but she was showing her little tail off, the handler team who had her gave her to a junior for them to show in the juniors and they won! This made my heart happy, supporting the next generation.

Third weekend out she took another major win with BOW, and came very close to getting BOB, the judge kept running back between her and the mature special bitch whom eventually won, kept putting hands on them both and comparing, it was a thrill! She is now 2 points away from her Championship.

Those of you who followed the adventures of the Frozen litter... remember when I wasn't supposed to keep a puppy? :ROFLMAO: ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats Artie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to ask , How are all the other puppies doing ?
Otis had some speed bumps in his owner's learning curve but after realizing how the situation was I sent them to a trustworthy trainer who set them straight and he's been improving a lot. He's a high drive, high energy puppy who needed an outlet and channeling of that drive. Owner wants to eventually do agility with him.

Polly is doing fabulous, inching closer towards her first IGP trial in a couple months! I feel like I've been slacking with Elsa by comparison lol!

Siren is doing great still her wonderful, sweet, goofy playful safe although her owner split up from her fiancé. She also was spayed early breaking contract (my contract said minimum 18 months) which I'm a tad upset about because we had that conversation two months prior where I said if she could even wait until 24 that would be better. Owner did not warn me before scheduling, but it sounds like Siren is recovering well from the surgery, and she is 16 months so hopefully it won't impact her growth and development too severely. Her owner has decided she's going back to school in vet med and Siren will be a fantastic ESA for her. Not sure if she's going to go through with SD training.

Nøkk is also doing great with his rehome. I am friends with his current trainer who tells me he is a handful but that she really enjoys working with him and his family absolutely adore and love him and have gotten to know and understand him a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,521 Posts
Congrats...she's a nice looking pup. Can't wait to see what she'll look like when she finishes filling out.

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
Congrats! I think she's maturing really nicely.

Reactions: Artemis

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
Well, Artemis. she was a handsome puppy with a lot of potential which she's rapidly fulfilling.

Let me point out something to everyone. I'm headhunter. Started out with a dog with a very good head and the people tell you, you always look for the things you have that were good on the first dog and then you go on to look for better things that were not so good pieces in the first dog.

From the head hunter to Artemis--that head, in profile is what us head hunters would really like to see. She's got parallel planes (rare) and the "slight" stop (called for) and even better--she's got a chin--which means that her profile is wedge shaped (which it should be).

It drives me crazy when the people who show the Euro dogs with their mouths handing open (and they say it's so you can see that they have underjaw.) Hogwash! It means you can't see if they have underjaw that way and it means that you can't see if they have ample chin--the thing that makes so many of our NA dogs look like Andy Gump is lack of chin--not lack of underjaw.

OK--I'll go away and and be pleased to see your girl and her pretty (corrrect) head.

dobebug

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Congratulations!

Reactions: Artemis

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Artemis. she was a handsome puppy with a lot of potential which she's rapidly fulfilling.

Let me point out something to everyone. I'm headhunter. Started out with a dog with a very good head and the people tell you, you always look for the things you have that were good on the first dog and then you go on to look for better things that were not so good pieces in the first dog.

From the head hunter to Artemis--that head, in profile is what us head hunters would really like to see. She's got parallel planes (rare) and the "slight" stop (called for) and even better--she's got a chin--which means that her profile is wedge shaped (which it should be).

It drives me crazy when the people who show the Euro dogs with their mouths handing open (and they say it's so you can see that they have underjaw.) Hogwash! It means you can't see if they have underjaw that way and it means that you can't see if they have ample chin--the thing that makes so many of our NA dogs look like Andy Gump is lack of chin--not lack of underjaw.

OK--I'll go away and and be pleased to see your girl and her pretty (corrrect) head.

dobebug
Dobebug I can't tell you how much this means to me. One of the most beautiful heads I've seen (only in picture sadly) was a Damasyn bitch I've posted on the forum here before - a 1955 vintage, and I know you've been around a Dobe or two since the 50s, so this is a comment I hold in high regard coming from you, Aunt B!

I've been told several times that the doberman is "not a head breed" but I will always work back from function and thus beg to differ. I personally think their head is possibly one of the most important aspects of their job - the intense look of eagles is a deterrent along with the alert intelligent gaze and of course their very expressive facial features and ability to look fierce in doing so, not to mention the bitey stuff ( ;) ) all of those things are essential tools for a dog designed to protect you. And a very long time breeder once told me that correct skull proportions and planes have a direct impact on the quality of bitework. So I joke that my greatest sin is being a head hunter myself. I'm always second guessing, self-criticizing but one thing I'm happy saying is that I am pretty dang proud of Elsa's head. Polly (pink collar) also has a wonderfully correct head. She has her sire's deep set eyes though as opposed to Elsa who took a little more after her mother in her expression. There was some variation in the litter in heads as far as flews, breadth and the amount of stop, skull proportions (which aren't discussed in the DPCA/DPCC standards but are in the FCI standard) as well as eyes, but they all have parallel planes, good underjaw with nice chins so I am generally pleased.

I hope I can get some updated profiles on the other three soon :D

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,521 Posts
I must agree with Bug (and you) I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to the show life, but that is the first thing I noticed about Elsa--her very good head.

Congrats again!

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
A number of Damasyn bitches had lovely head and went on to be the foundation for several breeders. Tess Hensler (Ahrtal) also had some stunning bitches who also went on to be the foundation for other breeders.

Heads really got so neglected for a good many years and generations of dogs while breeders where trying to improve other things (like fronts and rears) and excused some pretty bad heads with the off hand comment that you could improved heads in one generation.

That made me mumble to myself that you couldn't improve them at all if you didn't have any good heads left to breed to.

I think the SA dogs (many who had good NA breeding behind them from back when there were good heads) were the salvation for the NA dogs. I see a lot better heads these days in the show ring not a lot but some...congratulations on getting it on this litter--nothing like seeing all of the searching for the right combination pay off.

dobebug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts