Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there is a post similar to mine right below, but i didn't want to piggy back off that one since it has become such a sensitive subject.

Anyway, Ellie is about 10 months old and when she is standing she won't put weight directly down on her left rear leg. When she stands she puts her left rear leg out the side and uses her right left for supporting her rear end.

She walks, runs, sits, lays down, and gets up fine and hasn't yelped or anything yet. I gently squeezed all the bones and manipulated the joints to see if she had any pain and no signs showed up.

I'm guessing it is probably a sprain or something similar, but never know.

Probably be going to the vet if it doesn't get any better within the next day or two just to be sure.

I'm just asking if there is anything any of you think it might be, we all know that vets don't have all the answers all the time so I'd just like to go in prepared if it comes to that.

Here is a picture of the 'poor' puppy you'll be helping

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How long has it been now? Even if it is a sprain, your dog is in pain. Think about spraining your ankle, and how much THAT hurt! Go to the vets now, so she can be prescribed Pain meds and put on crate rest, make it more comfortable for her.

With altered gait, anything goes for diagnoses. It could be a fracture, sprain, strain, subluxed patella, cancer, hip dyplasia, osteochondrosis, and so on.

Hope she feels better soon :(

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
You should have a vet take a look, im sure she is at the least uncomfortable :(

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
How many different ways can we say, "Go to the vet!" If she is showing sensitivity/lameness in that leg, I can't imagine where running and playing, using that leg, is good for it and, in fact, could further injure it. Hope it is nothing serious. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the vet this afternoon and Ellie showed some signs of tenderness in the area of the cruciate ligaments and slight swelling.

She was prescribed some pain and anti-inflammatory meds and we're going back in a week for an update. Until then, she is on crate rest. For this dog crate rest is going to be a major inconvenience haha, she is normally very active.

The vet mentioned how abnormal it is for this to happen to a young dog, and how the surgical options are limited at her age, if it comes to that.

I've been reading plenty of threads on here about CCL injuries, probably more than i should be, so I'll probably cool it for a while.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry to hear it wasnt something more simple. I would do lease only potty breaks, too, if he didnt mention that. Parker spent a lot of his puppyhood on crate rest with a severe case of pano and then suspected partial cruciate tear or something like that. Just becareful with her for a while and she will probably be alright. Give her (((hugs)))) from me and Parker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts