Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been hearing a lot of good things about elk antlers and their benefits over rawhide and bones for chewing and dental health. Does anybody know a good/reputable site to buy them? None of the pet stores in my area have them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
another vote for best bully sticks great company and quality--I have a huge elk antler lasts forever

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
if you buy from here the profit goes to a hound rescue....
WSPuppyeyes by WSPuppyeyes on Etsy

I love supporting rescues :)

also at checkout use the code petfo26 to get a discount

She is a very nice lady and if you have any questions about anything she will be more than happy to help

·
Got mutt?
13,847 Posts

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Antlers are a safe chew as opposed to rawhide. As far as dental health goes, ask a veterinary dentist about the effects they've seen from dogs gnawing on antlers and other hard chews.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Antlers are a safe chew as opposed to rawhide. As far as dental health goes, ask a veterinary dentist about the effects they've seen from dogs gnawing on antlers and other hard chews.
I have an 11 month Malinois who loves to chew. I am now noticing the effects the antler (I've only bought her 1) have had on her teeth. We no longer allow hard chews in our house. We have been very happy with Planet Dog's soft rubber bones/chew toys (recyled materials/environmentally friendly company). They have held up extremely well for our "super chewing" Dobie, Malinois and GSD. We actually have a toy in the shape of an artichoke that has been a huge hit, we are planning to buy another.

All my pups love the antlers, but the damage to their teeth is not worth it.

We do bully sticks on occasion and they love them! But we only give them as special treats.

Good luck!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I have an 11 month Malinois who loves to chew. I am now noticing the effects the antler (I've only bought her 1) have had on her teeth. We no longer allow hard chews in our house. We have been very happy with Planet Dog's soft rubber bones/chew toys (recyled materials/environmentally friendly company). They have held up extremely well for our "super chewing" Dobie, Malinois and GSD. We actually have a toy in the shape of an artichoke that has been a huge hit, we are planning to buy another.

All my pups love the antlers, but the damage to their teeth is not worth it.

We do bully sticks on occasion and they love them! But we only give them as special treats.

Good luck!
Same here. My Dobe loves the planet dog toys. My friend who is a euro GSD breeder loves the planet dog line as well. I gave my 6 year old husky hard nylabones, knuckle bones, marrow bones, and antlers for years. Her teeth could definitely look better for her age. I stopped giving hard chews completely when i started noticing some wearing on my Dobe's teeth and a friend of mine going through dental surgery in the thousands for her dog. The dental vet said if you can't dent it with your thumb nail then it's not good for their teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts