Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chi's quirky chewing habits made me wonder if it's just uncomfortable for her to have her head that far down when she's chewing. Maybe it's just more comfortable for the bone to be somewhat elevated.
I've read a few articles that elevated dishes help prevent bloat but then again I've read articles that completely debunk those... What are your opinions? Who has elevated feeding dishes and why did you choose them?

·
Banned
675 Posts
Purdue University did a five year study that found that dogs fed elevated had a much higher incidence of bloat than dogs fed on the floor. They don't know why that is, they just found it out statistically.

People "say" feeding elevated helps prevent bloat but they never say where they read it. I haven't seen one published bit of proof to back it up. It's just something people "say".

I don't feed raw, which I think you do, so my dogs don't really spend time chewing. They are fed on the floor and finish fast, so it doesn't seem a problem. It seems to me tho, that if she were really uncomforable, she could lied down to eat?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've pretty much cut raw out, occassionally they get rmb's though. I've had much better luck since I switched to Canidae and let's face it - it is so much easier measuring out 1.5 cups of kibble 2x's a day than preparing raw meals.
I do though feed her in a HUGE pan. She gulps her food (which I also read is not good for bloat) but I found that she eats much slower when the food is in the larger pan and kind of spread out across the bottom of it - she simply can't gulp it and has to pick it up almost piece by piece. - Of course I had to forsake my favorite pan for spaghetti and boiling potatoes to the dog :)

You're right, the articles that I read touting elevated dishes were all based on what people heard or thought, there was nothing to back it up.
The one that I read against it though was from a Dane breeder and I think it referred to the study you mentioned.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
What are your opinions? Who has elevated feeding dishes and why did you choose them?
I rhink using an elevated feeding dish is a totally unnatural position for a dog to eat in. I've used them in two cases due to specific medical problems, but 99.9% of the time, my dogs are fed with dishes on the floor.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I agree with you all...they dont seem needed and my mom has told me about those articles that the elevation causes bloat...but I want to see what you guys say about this....extension to the info we covered so far...
Is it better to feed PUPPIES in an elevated food dish since they are still growing and does it make their build different than if they ate out of a dish on the floor when they are growing? I thought I heard that somewhere...forgot where though...

also TracyJo, duchess scarfs her food down too and that is a GREAT idea!!! I should try feeding in a large pan!! :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
I agree with you all...they dont seem needed and my mom has told me about those articles that the elevation causes bloat...but I want to see what you guys say about this....extension to the info we covered so far...
Is it better to feed PUPPIES in an elevated food dish since they are still growing and does it make their build different than if they ate out of a dish on the floor when they are growing? I thought I heard that somewhere...forgot where though...

also TracyJo, duchess scarfs her food down too and that is a GREAT idea!!! I should try feeding in a large pan!! :)
I've never fed puppies from an elevated feeder. But I've never seen any abnormalities in their structure that could be attributed to floor feeding.

I found adding a little yogurt to kibble also really slowed a speed eater down..it makes it just sticky enough they can't gobble it very easily, and it's good for their digestion as well.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Tracy, I always fed my Greyhound with an elavated dish. If her food was on the floor she looked like a giraffe eating - legs spread apart. But she was all legs. When she got a bone she would take it over to the sofa and chew on it there ! Maybe try putting some food on the floor and also in a elavated dish, she what she likes better. I can't see how elavating her food could cause bloat.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
If her food was on the floor she looked like a giraffe eating - legs spread apart.
HAHA!!! awwwww

yeah we feed duchess with some canned food mixed in with a little dry...Im sure if we spread it around the pan it would have alittle of the same effect:)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My girlfriend who has horses has this one horse that wolfs down her food. She put big rocks in her food bucket so when she is being fed grain she actually has to dig around the rocks for the food. It slows her down. This may work with dogs to ! Of course not very convienent but would slow a fast eater down. And large enough stones that they would not eat them.:)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okie-dobie said:
My girlfriend who has horses has this one horse that wolfs down her food. She put big rocks in her food bucket so when she is being fed grain she actually has to dig around the rocks for the food. It slows her down. This may work with dogs to ! Of course not very convienent but would slow a fast eater down. And large enough stones that they would not eat them.:)
I know people who will put a tennis ball in with the dogs food to slow them down. It worked with Chi for a few minutes and then she realized she just had to take the ball out :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I also have a woofer, Nash, it seems he inhales his food, Da'Kari on the other hand has always taken her time eating. I used to elevate their food but after seeing it discussed that it may cause bloat I discontinued doing so.

Also it makes clean up easier, rather than having that huge double feeder sitting in the floor constantly I just give them their food in the stainless steel bowls that go in them, they finish, I pick bowls up, wash them and put them away. They don't seem to favor one way over the other, they just want what is in them. :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Tennis balls are maybe seen as a fun thing. Rocks are not, also rocks, stones, what ever you want to call them are heavy unlike tennis balls. Just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I started out with the food dish being on the floor and when Princess started getting tall I switched to a raised dish. I hear people saying "that's not how they would eat in the wild so why should we do that". Well there are a lot of things they WOULD NOT do in the wild that they do as pets and a lot of things they WOULD do in the wild that they do not do as pets. So that logic does not go well with me.

As far as the solid research proving which is better, I have yet to find it. So for now I go with what I feel is best and comfortable for her, which is a raised dish for my tall girl.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
All 4 of my dogs are feed from a raised bowl. we started out when Spirit was young. if the bowl was on the floor he would eat and then throw up his food.. when we raised the bowl little by little it all stopped.. now the dogs will not eat from a bowl on the floor..We did the tennis ball in the bowl too and it helped.. also a bowl the had a raised center was a godsend for Gypsy.. Now she eats slow..

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a raised bowel, but Gunner has been moving his bowel and putting it up on a coffee table. but maybe I won't now. Or maybe he needs to have it up.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I feed on floor level, I don't really think an elevated dish is all the natural of an eating position either, but hey as long as it doesn't harm them. Lexus wolfs her food down also, I've taken to soaking it in a little warm water to soften it and it has slowed her down some.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I alwys moisten the kibble. I've done it since I got my first puppy. Not to prevent bloat, which I hadn't even heard of then, but because it seemed to *me* that the dogs would like it better that way. Eating a bowl of dry kibble reminded of me trying to eat a bowl of dry cornflakes.

For a few years I fed the Iggies their kibble dry because their breeder recommended it for the sake of their teeth. But one of them had bad teeth and one had good teeth regardless. Also the one with the good teeth used to get the kibbles packed in her throat and have to regurgitate them, they re-eat them. So I started moistening their food, too. Once I did that, she stopped getting the kibble stuck in her throat.

The Purdue study didn't say that feeding elevated causes bloat. They said that among 2,000 or so dogs they studied for five years, 110% more of those who were fed elevated bloated than those who were fed on the floor. They don't know why, they only know it happened. They found other conditions that increased or decreased the incidence of bloat as well. The didn't find one "cause" for it. No one knows the cause to this day, there are just speculations.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We have always put ours food on the ground. But now I did have a friend tell me....that she had heard it was better for the food to be up. I thought to myself, wow wonder why that is. so this much be it! I havent had any problems with our dogs eating on the floor. My min pin is a med. fast eater. Dont just gobble it up but a good steady rate. My dobe, he is soooo darn slow. He only gets his one bowl a day of food(both of em). In the mornings,but he likes to go slow and only eats one spot at a time. he will nibble sev bites in one spot till its gone. then he will turn his whole body to the next 1/4 of food and nibble till he gets bottom. and again turns his whole body....untill hes made a circle. haha its silly to watch. but anyways this is good im glad yall are talking about this.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Vegas&Reno said:
We have always put ours food on the ground. But now I did have a friend tell me....that she had heard it was better for the food to be up. I thought to myself, wow wonder why that is. so this much be it! I havent had any problems with our dogs eating on the floor. My min pin is a med. fast eater. Dont just gobble it up but a good steady rate. My dobe, he is soooo darn slow. He only gets his one bowl a day of food(both of em). In the mornings,but he likes to go slow and only eats one spot at a time. he will nibble sev bites in one spot till its gone. then he will turn his whole body to the next 1/4 of food and nibble till he gets bottom. and again turns his whole body....untill hes made a circle. haha its silly to watch. but anyways this is good im glad yall are talking about this.
According to the Purdue study, feeding once a day also significantly increases the risk of bloat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts