Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time keeping Sarah from jumping the fence and digging holes in the yard. I just want some input on the electric collar. I realy don't want to get one but i seem to be running out of patience. She is six months old and clearing a four foot fence.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I personally wouldn’t use a shock collar to help those things.

My boy was a really intense hole digger, I would leave him out there for two minutes and he would have dug a 4 foot hole in my lawn. I corrected it with supervision and verbal commands, at the first swipe at the lawn I would shout 'AH-AH. NO' then he would have to go straight inside, no more playing outside. He stopped doing it very quickly after a short while. I also started walking him more, as he tended to only do it when he was bored.

How about getting her a sandpit and letting her dig in there, hiding toys in there ect?

I dont think a 4 foot fence is high enough for a dog, even a dog trained not to jump it. What if she sees some prey on the other side and takes off after it? Or another stray dog gets into the garden? Or someone steals her out the garden? Or she gets out and gets hit by a car? I would seriously recommend getting a taller fence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats basically what i'm asking. I have only put her head on the hole than said No Bad dog,and then put her in her crate for two minutes. but to no avail she still digs. The fence jumping I haven't the foggyest what to do. Putting in a new fence is big money I can't really afford. That's why I was asking about the collar.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You can't tell her off once she's done it, you have to catch her in the act.

If you can't afford an appropriate fence I suggest keeping a leash on her in the garden.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
ok, stop this. :) Their crate is supposed to be a safe place, for rest, not punishment. Begin teaching "leave it" while on her leash. Kikopup has great (free) videos Free Video List

She's at the perfect age to enroll in obedience classes. It helps both owner and dog. Here's a list of clubs: Training Resources

I have only put her head on the hole than said No Bad dog,and then put her in her crate for two minutes. but to no avail she still digs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If its a specific spot where she jumps the fence i.e. gate use a ScatMat to remove her jump point else a electronic fence would be needed if the dogs to be left unattended, these measures are far better than the alternative ... dog jumping fence and getting hit by a car. Ecollar requires human presence/interaction to correct/teach the behavior not the same as a bark collar.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
brando35 - sound like Sarah is very bored, and not OB trained or mentally stimulated too much of a degree.

Full outside supervision, is essential with any pup...are you doing this ??
Every day, if any bad habits are left too esculate, 1000x harder to fix...down the road.
- while the unwanted behavior is easier to control, if you would have kept on top of it, from day1

Do yourself a favor, enrole in on and then off leash / this lerning experience will help this girl and the other dogs you have in a lifetime.
- save your electronic collar money

E-Collar will not allow you to build your tool-bag of canine skills knowledge.
- and that is the worst part of the preceived easy fix / without the training background, you find yourself needing most

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, this is dobe number six and i've had her to puppygarten and then she got sent to OB 1 because she was overpowering the class. It's just been a while since i had a puppy. I'm 59 yearsyoung and was just asking about the e-collar because there was no such thing when i trained the other dogs i,ve had. And yes I try my best to give her at least an hour of training a day. she' is doing great other than the digging and jumping the fence. She obeys well and can cath a ball at 15 yards and return it to me. I think i'm just expecting too much from her. She's only 6 months old. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would go for the obedience classes. Usually digging is a sign of being bored and left alone outside.
If you are serious about an electronic collar I would get some professional hands on instruction on its use.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I know very FEW 6 month old pupies of most breeds that can be left outside unsupervised and not find some trouble to get into. I think she needs more supervision, not an ecollar myself.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
Hi Brando35, I'm wondering if Sarah's digging habits might also be due in part to the hot summer weather. Dogs release heat through their feet, and the act of digging helps them cool off. They also like to lay in the cool, freshly overturned earth. Does she like water? If you don't already have one, maybe you could offer her a kiddie pool. My own dog isn't much of a fan, but many dogs LOVE their pools.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I agree with stuff above, e-collar is not the answer, you can boundary train her and have a 2ft fence/gate.
Boundary training is easy simply walk around the boundary of the garden with her a few times everyday
Do not leave the pup on its own in the garden apart from the reasons mentioned above the risk of ingesting something it shouldn't is high.
I have found that if you extend the fence with wire lines rather than solid fence dogs usually don't like to jump them I think it spins their distance judgement.
I once fenced off a part of my land with a 5ft fence on top of a 2 foot wall all the time my dog, Pickle, watched me build it. As soon as I had finnished it, literally put the last nail in and stepped back to look she just scaled it as if to say 'yeah right, thats gonna keep me out' :)
Anyway after I had trained her that this was the new boundary she never did it again.

Reactions: almacarreno
1 - 15 of 15 Posts