Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He has had loose yellowish stool for th last few days, then within the last 12 hours started coughing and vomiting. I've been wondering if he had a uti for a few days because of short streams and dripples in the house, so we scheduled a vet visit today. This morning he pooped in our bedroom, which has never happened, and when I took him outside I saw that he was trying to pass a mass of worms. It looked like white grass at first but they were doing the heebie jeebie!

I put some in a Baggie to take to the vet but after googling them they are definitely roundworm.

He normally isn't super excited about his food but the last few days he has been even less so.

Anyone have experience with roundworms? How long will it take to get rid of them once I get him on dewormer? I know they can be a pain to get out of the yard, do they make any spreadable worm killer for a yard? If not...I might have found my get rich scheme based on how many people talk about how hard it is to deinfest.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Just make sure, you still go to the vet and get a fecal performed, in case there are other types of worms infecting him. Depending on the type of worm, it might not be an instant fix and he will need future treatments.
I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Reactions: Conspiracy*

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Visited the vet this morning.

Einstein had an accident while we were waiting to get checked in. The vet came around the corner and said "Wow those are some big roundworms you've got there!" They immediately put us in a room by ourselves.

At the vets office there was blood mixed in with the mucous, along with probably 10 or so worms ranging in length from 1" to 2.5"

The vet said its possible that hes had these worms since birth. He was dewormed at 4, 6, and 8 weeks but I haven't had him on heartgard or any dewormer in the last 5 weeks. She gave him a broad spectrum dewormer and said when we come back in for his rabies shot they will look at his fecal to see if we need further treatment.

She also test for parvo. Einstein has had, I think, 2 sets of shots which include the parvo vaccine but the vet said just to make sure because of the blood he let loose on the floor earlier.

He got his third set of vaccines...btw how many should he get? I get the feeling vets arent as regulated on how many shots they give to animals, it seemed like I was being "pitched" multiple medicines and preventative measures. Einstein also got an initial treatment of heartgard.

Einstein is 12 weeks 5 days and weighed 25lbs today. That seems a bit light...however given that he probably has 1000s of worms in his intestines eating his food I could see why. Hopefully these worms pass and he bounces back.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
What did the vet give you? Panacur? That is a good broad spectrum dewormer, and quite popular. Yes, a heavy worm burden can affect his overall health. Once he gets rid of them, he should start gaining weight, and acting perkier. You can get Panacur over the counter, now. Once he gets on heartworm meds, you can make sure to get one that also gets (some) intestinal worms.

As far as shots go, you can check out the AAHA website (or else google "2011 dog vaccine guidelines"). I know they came out with new guidelines last year. Generally, though, shots for distemper and parvo start at about 6-8 weeks, and they normally get three sets about 4 weeks apart. Rabies should be given when they are 12 -16 weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went back and checked my breeder info.

Einstein had a shot called Solo Jec 5 at weeks 6 and 8. It includes the following vaccines:
Canine Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2 (Tracheobronchitis), Parainfluenza, Hepatitis (Adenovirus 1) and Parvovirus Vaccine (MLV)

Today at nearly 13 weeks he got DA2PP, which protects against the same illnesses it looks like. Adeno1, Adeno2, Parainfluenza, and Parvo.

Does he need another set? The vet has him down for another set but this will be his third in 3 months.

Today was his 2nd bordatella vaccine as well, the first being at 5 weeks.

Thanks,

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
AAHA reccomends parvo vaccines every 3 to 4 weeks between the ages of 6 and 16 weeks, with the last shot being between 14 and 16 weeks. A booster shot should be given a year later, then vaccinate every three years. The other core vaccines have similar guidelines. I would definitely take a look at them, and talk to your vet about how you want to proceed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts