Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help_up_2

just brought my 10month old Dobe Gunner back from Obedience Academy and of course while he was gone I got Daisy(10 weeks old). Well Gunner is well soacialized but he growls at her when she tries to eat any of his food, even when its across the room, and he'll kinda play with her but he growls deeply sometimes and snaps at her. Hes a very jealous dog i mind u, have any advice? She likes him and every couple of minutes he seems to like her. Are they just adjusting or what? o ya also when she gets around and he growls his tail is wagging, and he even gets in a submissive position at times

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
she thinks hes her mom and now they are gettin along a lil better, he kinda puts his mom on her but doesnt bite, kinda how they correct pups by biting them in the face

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
give them some time! all is new to the new girl and gunner has had you all to himself so now he is not sure what is going on with a new dog to compete with. As for the growling, what I do is if one of mine start to growl, I put myself in front of the food bowl and will not let them eat till I say it is ok. I am alpha and the food belongs to me and they can eat only when i say it is ok. Works for me
Good Luck and congrats on the new baby.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
frznbuns,
So glad that you said that. Chi got a little nasty with Petri the other day over food. What you do is exactly what I did but then I wondered if I did the right thing... I wasn't sure if it was something they needed to work out themselves or not but you're right, when it comes down to it the food is mine and needs to be treated as such.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TracyJo said:
Why? I mean what did he learn there? You took him and dropped him off and he stayed? Honestly curious about this.. Haven't heard of an academy like this before...

yea he learned to walk on a loose leash, heal, sit, down and stay all by voice no hand signals, crate training and pause b4 going in and out of doorways, i knew the guy and he just wanted to work with a Doberman, hes been training for years and he wanted another big dog in the class while he trained his GSD

·
Registered
421 Posts
You might want to incorperate the hand signals in. If he ever gets hard of hearing or cna't hear you for some reason its great for them to be able to listen to you. I step sister was amazed when I showed her she could point a finger to get him to sit. Byron was the first one I trained with the sognals but I've noticed I kind of do it with my other dogs anyway,just not purposely!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joce said:
You might want to incorperate the hand signals in. If he ever gets hard of hearing or cna't hear you for some reason its great for them to be able to listen to you. I step sister was amazed when I showed her she could point a finger to get him to sit. Byron was the first one I trained with the sognals but I've noticed I kind of do it with my other dogs anyway,just not purposely!

ya he said if i wanted to add signals just gradually add them in and then u could eliminate the voice or vice versa

ive used both on my girl

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should I use a shock collar for this? Hes being a real butthole to her

over some food he just nipped at her and somehow she got a SMALL cut on her gums and was bleeding, i pulled him into a down position and made him watch her eat the food and whenever he made a sound i jerked the prong collar and said [email protected]

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Don't pull him into the down postion. Give him the command for it. You don't manhandle a Doberman. You got the puppy while he was gone and he comes home after being away for 3 weeks and she is now in HIS house. This will take some time for him to adjust. Personally, I think that wasn't the right thing to do when he was gone, but you also know I didn't think he should have been sent away to be trained in the first place. If you had worked with him personally, you might be able to handle him in this new situation. Your dog has been trained, but the handler hasn't. And no, a couple of hours of showing you his new tricks doesn't qualify.
Feed them in different parts of the kitchen or whereever you feed. Watch him when he is done and if he starts to go to her bowl he is told to leave it. Did they teach leave it? You're probably going to have to keep him on a leash at first so you will be able to reinforce the command.
Don't run out and buy an ecollar. You haven't even tried other methods first.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hey Gunner,
I'm pretty much just going to rewrite what coalsmom wrote but as I was feeding my own just now I was thinking of your problem and well now have to write what I thought :)
The other night I was doing dishes, got called to the phone and when I came back Chihiro had her head in the dishwasher and was licking the cheese grater, THE CHEESE GRATER! How smart is that? :) At any rate my first reaction was to get all upset and everything but lucky for me common sense kicked in before I did. I've never taught her that isn't ok to lick the cheese grater, how was she to know? Since we've been working on sit, stays I took this as an opportunity to train. I put her at a sit/stay a few feet in front of the dishwasher as I finished my job, I talked to her and reassured her the whole time and every now and then tossed her a piece of liver. (this whole ordeal took less than 5 minutes) She got up several times, but I would just stop with the dishes, put her back where I wanted her and then praise.
We teach them obedience out of neccessity, if we don't use that training for anything other than tricks it's a huge waste of time and probably pretty confusing to the dog. What a clever idea to use sit stay for something other than showing my husband how smart the pup is :)
So rather than running out and buying an e-collar or chastising Gunner for something that probably has him completely confused (a new pup in his house) I would try to work with what you've got, the training he's already received. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
there are many things going on here.

first, no offense, but if you want to be a dog trainer, why the hell did you send your dog to someone ELSE to train? so in essence, YOU havent trained your dog at all.

you need to take gunner to obedience classes and YOU need to train him.

and NO you do not need a "shock" collar - you need to train them, and you need to protect your pup from her. if he will not let her near his things, then for now, his things should be put away and they shoudl not interact. YOU control the situations, and YOU prevent them from fighting.

what did jerking the prong collar on him accomplish? you took a stressful situation and just made it MORE stressfull, and met his aggression towards her with your own aggression. thats not training at all, its manhandling and doesnt teach the dog anything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i didnt plan on being a trainer went i sent him, it only crossed my mind. But i mean i see where ur coming from hes gonna hve to work with me for awhile, we just went to PETsMart and whenever i said sit, he sat, no matter if 3 little Pit Bulls were in front of him and no matter who was trying to pet him. Like someoen above was saying about feeding in different parts of the room, um....no he'll run over there and back her in a corner then eat out of hers, its like he doesnt want something till she wants it, i tried that. I guess after a few days of working on his sit and stay commands, real hard, ill keep his leash on and do what u said about getting him to sit and stay while she eats. BTW When she started smellign a bag that fell on the floor in PSmart he growled at her, she loves him to death though

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
youre still not in control. no dog of mine runs across a room and takes something else from another dog, not in my house, not with me around. they get what they are given, and if you go after whats not yours, you better damned well be sure you can back it up, because i WILL come and get it and i WILL take it away.

you should research the NILIF (nothing in life is free) method for your dog - i dont believe in this whole "dominance" theory for many things, but your dog needs to respect you. my dogs understand that i am the giver of all that is good - i am a fair and just leader and i will protect them. but so help them, if they break my sacred rules (of which i do not have many), then you better believe i will enforce them. but they respect me and work with me and obey me BECAUSE they trust that i will never ask for something they cannot give, something they do not understand, i will not correct them for not understanding me.

my dogs can walk through doors ahead of me, they sit on couches and sleep in bed with me. they can nose people for pets, they can be demanding for attention.

but they also sit when i tell them, they politely wait for things, they do not steal things from each other, they can eat 3 feet away from each other the most scrumptious of all foods. if something happens and they dont respect rules, things change - mya growled at someone once when walking past her eating, and she had to work that out -- hand feeding and being pet constantly when she eats.

bowie has his own understanding based on his history, and the rules are different with me than other people. because i am his leader, people are told that they DO NOT take toys from him, they DO NOT take his food, and they are NOT to touch him when he eats. *i* can, but he respects ME, not others.

your dogs are honestly verging on disaster - even with all my dogs issues, they are INFINITELY tolerant of puppies, as they should be - puppies are given free rein in dog packs until they are older - they are taught the way of the pack.

you need to be a leader and you need to protect both your adult and you puppy. your male should not HAVE the opportunity to injure her, or go after her food and run across the room. crate them if you cant keep them separate .

if you cannot control them in petsmart and they are having issues with each other, there is no way in HELL i would even CONSIDER taking both of them out in public together. your male is immature, he is jealous, and he has displayed inappropriate aggression towards her. you need to control this now - otherwise how do you think you will control an intact immature teenage doberman who wants to get to the bitch in heat?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts