Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to this forum and I live in Egypt, plenty of street dogs here but you can't save them all this guy was half dead when we found him but you can see filling out nicely :(

This is Anubis, he found us here 5 months ago and we love him to bit no matter what he is as he is part of the family, here are his photos:

egyptiandoglover's Images - DobermanTalk.com Photo Gallery

Everyone says he is an ex police dog and indeed he is very well behaved, intelligent and loyal, I know his ears and tail are not cropped even if he was a doberman and we have no intention of doing so...

Is someone able to identify if Anubis is a doberman? He makes weird vocalisations like a trumpet and is very expressive making different noises for different situations esp. when he wants to tell us a story.

You can see in the photos he is on the sofa, he was a bit naughty and nibbled the cushion and a few flip flops but he is past that stage hopefully all in all a very clever dog...

There are different types of street dogs here in Sharm el Sheikh, all of them large and all of them imported or throw outs from residents or escaped from bedouins / police

So you guys decide, doberman, doberman shepherd cross or just something totally different

Thanks for you help he keeps us rather safe, you can see him in one photo looking up to the roof on one his patrols :idea:

Hope you like the photos, something unique hopefully

:thanx:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what we thought as the police here use doberman and german shepherds and also "doberman shepherds" which are not a breed.

I used to show Shetland Sheepdogs in Canada so I know this thread might generate some laughter with you guys who have purebreds :roflmao:

Either way if you saw the state of street dogs and cats here you would be mighty peed off, this guy was covered in bites and scratches, he is like a small donkey but not castrated as he has a hatred for Egyptians who throw stones at them there is no way I can get him into a surgery without him eating people :screama:

·
Registered
64 Posts
def. agree with the assesment he has shepherd in him. but Im not seeing doberman... he look very thin, so after you guys nurse him back to full health and weight, his features may change and make it easier to identify his breed. specifically when his face fills in a little more. ...none of us would laugh at someone owning a mutt. Most of us HAVE a mutt at home. HaHa. Sure we all share a love for dobermans here. but we love ALL dogs. :) Honestly whats not to love?

·
Registered
64 Posts
At the shelter we jokingly call them "designer dogs." "We have schnoodles, goldendoodles, puggles, and chaweenies! and they are 75% cheaper than the ones at the pet store!" lol. really urks the pet store to NO end. they come and say we are calling them "puppy mill supporters" but I cant help that think a rather high volume of the dogs we got in where at one time puppies in there store front window...

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks for rescuing him. He has pretty eyes.

He doesn't look Doberman to me, but I've also seen crosses with known parentage that looked like neither one of their ancestral breeds <shrug>

Enjoy him and hope you have many happy healthy years together.

Oh, and as to your dilemma about getting him into a surgery for his neuter--could you ask the vet to send home something to sedate him with, so he could travel safely and be admitted to the animal hospital for the procedure?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Looks like an HONORARY DOBERMAN to me! You'll probably always wonder about his parentage, I agree that he's sure to be some mix of what's already been suggested, probably with a few other surprises, but he's more than welcome on Dobermantalk... as long as you update us with pictures, of course ;)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
He looks all German shepherd to me, maybe with some working lines. The working shepherds look nothing like the shepherds in the ring or family home, they have a marble pattern, solid color, or even black with tan points. It's pretty neat :) your guy looks like a cutie and I'm sure he is grateful for finding you.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thank you for adopting this boy. I think his nose looks like a Doberman to me. Pointy noses are what Dobes use to nub you and remind you you haven't petted him in the last 15 minutes, or he wants some of your food too or just generally checking out your underwear.

I believe he's got some sort of shepherd in him as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with Abby's assessment of he's an honorary Doberman.

I suspect he will be your best friend and protect you as his new found family. Hopefully he will not have the medical issues found in many Dobermans.

Please stay around and the board. Keep update the photos too.

KC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I know he looks thin but that seems to be his body shape whatever he is I can say he is strong and wrenched my back out of shape when we took him out on a lead yesterday..

Plenty of large scary street dogs here and loads of cats so unlike the UK if you are after a pet you just go out and select one not need to have a home vetted, the poisonings are another thing.

I will keep everyone posted with photos, there are a few more here that look like him so must be a complex mix, we have a military base on Tiran Island just off the coast of Sharm el Sheikh and not so far from Saudi Arabia so a few have probably hitched rides from there not to mention the bedouins keep dogs

We did also have an spotted Egyptian Mau which go for a few thousand $ outside of Egypt again if you are lucky you just find them here on a pile of rubbish

After raising Shelties which bark at anything I am glad we found this guy hardly a peep out of him certainly keeps the weirdos and perverts away :sweat:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts