Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senta is going up to have an echocardiogram. This is just for a study on dobes 10 yrs +. She has no signs of Cardomyopathy, but it will be an interestinng study. Then we will come home. I think something like a heart monitor will be one her ( covered up with a doggie vest) for a 24 hr monitoring.. Her breeder asked me to partisipate in this. I believe the Puget Sound Doberman Pincher Club is doing this.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Good idea for all dobes. Yes it is interesting, and beneficial for the breed and a good breeders tool, wish is was mandatory.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Christi said:
She has no signs of Cardomyopathy, but it will be an interestinng study.
This is exactly why dobermans should have extensive cardiac testing on a regular basis. In most cases, the dog won't show any overt symptoms of DCM until they're in the end stages of the disease. The absence of any noticeable symptoms is never "good enough" for a doberman..the only way to extend lifespan is to catch the disease in the early, occult stage.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
There is a similar program going on in this country at the moment where they are asking for older dobes to take part in a screening program.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My husband and I were just talking about this. At what age do you think that we should start screening our dobie? We lost our last dobie right before his 4th birthday. I understand that this age is pretty unusual and we were not even aware that he had it. He just collasped one morning and died in my husband's arms. Our boy, Titus will be 2 in December and we believe that he comes from a much better blood line. Any suggestions for this nervous mom would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I guess that I should also add that I do understand that dobies from good blood lines can also get cardiomyopathy. Our last dobie just had a lot of other health issues.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
tjmom said:
My husband and I were just talking about this. At what age do you think that we should start screening our dobie? We lost our last dobie right before his 4th birthday. I understand that this age is pretty unusual and we were not even aware that he had it. He just collasped one morning and died in my husband's arms. Our boy, Titus will be 2 in December and we believe that he comes from a much better blood line. Any suggestions for this nervous mom would be greatly appreciated.
My girl is just 18 months old. I'll get her first echo done within the next 6 months or so, and then do that annually until she's about 5. Then go to twice a year echoes, which is what I'm doing now with my 5 1/2 year old male.

·
Extraordimary
4,992 Posts
tjmom said:
My husband and I were just talking about this. At what age do you think that we should start screening our dobie?
I start Holtering annually at an early age. The youngest I've done was about 10 months. I can't say as I truly believe there is a benefit to Holtering that young. It's just that I'm a contact person for the Holter study at the Ontario Veterinary College and I Holter ~20 Dobermans a year, and when I'm Holtering every summer, I do every one of my Dobermans, regardless of age.

I start doing cardiac ultrasounds at 2 years of age.

I've got it scheduled now so that my dogs all get their cardiac ultrasounds in January or February, and I Holter in July and August. IOW, some form of cardiac testing every 6 months.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think this is fantastic. But, also makes me wonder why I care more about my dobie's health than my own. As I'm trying to decide on the absolute best quality food for Yogi, I'm stuffing cheeseburgers and french fries down my throat :) ha ha ha...................not funny, but true.

Perhaps I should care about my own health as much as I do Yogi's.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Yogi said:
I think this is fantastic. But, also makes me wonder why I care more about my dobie's health than my own. As I'm trying to decide on the absolute best quality food for Yogi, I'm stuffing cheeseburgers and french fries down my throat :) ha ha ha...................not funny, but true.

Perhaps I should care about my own health as much as I do Yogi's.
I know what you mean.. Hubby is always saying that the dogs eat better that we do. we have meatless spagetti for supper with bread and peas and the dogs are have ground turkey, chicken livers, beef hearts and vegs..

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I start at about age 2. I have only done the echo and ultrasound so far. Need to look into holter soon.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
OUr rescue group just did a cardio clinic. we were charging $175 for an echo. the going rate that the vets charge around here is closer to $400. so those of you who would like to get it don, may want to check with a local rescue group to see if they have one coming up.

cc

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Codysmom said:
OUr rescue group just did a cardio clinic. we were charging $175 for an echo. the going rate that the vets charge around here is closer to $400. so those of you who would like to get it don, may want to check with a local rescue group to see if they have one coming up.

cc
yeah, the local Doberman club I belong to does a cardio clinic for appox $160 in conjuction with our WAE every year. It really fills up quick!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts