Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4-year-old doberman is eating poop. This is a new behavior. I feed him Blue Buffalo. I have been "trying to pick it up" but if he poops at night - this is not as easy to get until this next morning -- I did put pineapple in his food tonight. I was feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness but it seem to be putting too much weight on him - can anybody help me with this dilemma? This is really odd he has never done this before. I have bully sticks, kongs, Blue Buflalo Salmon Treats in the kongs, etc...

Any information on stopping this would be greatly appreciated. I even brush his teeth - he is healthy with a beautiful shiny coat and I do not want him to get sick from eating poop!!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It could be a variety of things. Could be a medical problem an enzyme deficiency. Intestinal malabsorption. Behavioral proplems. Or he llikes the taste of it.
You can try changing foods.
Add some digestive enzymes and probiotics in his food.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If he is putting on too much weight, than you are overfeeding. If he is getting too much nutrition, it is not necessary to digest efficiently, and there is probably a fair amount of food value left in the feces... this will make the feces attractive. I would reduce the quantity you are feeding, and see if this helps. The pineapple may help, also... it contains the enzyme bromelain which breaks down proteins - this also will reduce the food value left in the feces. An enzyme product like NOW Foods Super Enzymes (one capsule sprinkled on each meal) would probably do a better job than the pineapple.

While eating feces is pretty disgusting to humans, it is pretty normal for dogs. It is unlikely to make a dog ill.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My Toby eats pig, chicken and human poop whenever he can get to it. (The human stuff is left by hunters, not by us might I add). It is completely and utterly gross. To understand it I took my boy to the Vets and he ran all sorts of tests and he said there was nothing amiss with him, apart from he obviously liked to be gross. The only way I can stop him is by being vigilant and shouting a firm no and if he continues to eat it give him a warning sound on his e-collar, this usually reminds him just because he is off leash (when we are in the wilds) I can still correct him if need be. (thus far it seems to be working).

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My Bella does this and has since she was a puppy. We have tried a few things, feeding her a product called Distaste, not letting her have opportunity to do it, feeding her pumpkin in her food, and while we were able to curb it for a while, she will still try it from time to time. She has no medical problems to relate to this and is healthy and well fed. The vet said she might be one of those dogs who simply enjoys it (gross!)
I just keep an eye on her when she is out and make sure to distract her if she attempts to eat it. This is the only solution I have found so far that is effective. The same may not be true for you though.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My Toby eats pig, chicken and human poop whenever he can get to it. (The human stuff is left by hunters, not by us might I add). It is completely and utterly gross. To understand it I took my boy to the Vets and he ran all sorts of tests and he said there was nothing amiss with him, apart from he obviously liked to be gross. The only way I can stop him is by being vigilant and shouting a firm no and if he continues to eat it give him a warning sound on his e-collar, this usually reminds him just because he is off leash (when we are in the wilds) I can still correct him if need be. (thus far it seems to be working).
Humans!!?? OK, the hunters':D
Elza eats other dogs' or cats' poop on the street which is disgusting, but not hers. In her case I think behavior problem. I try to notice it in advance and avoid her eating by oral command.
IMO, if your dog eats only his poop, as others suggested he should be checked with the vet and/or change the diet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
From what I have seen eating scat is almost always food related, usually linked to the presence of grain in the food. My dog started eating his scat for a while, I switched him to a grain free food and have been without issue since. Another trick I have heard to combat scat eating is to add two Tums to the dogs food each meal. It is supposed to work as well as things like SEP from Solid Gold but at a much cheaper price.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've had poop eaters eat raw fed dogs poop too. So I'm not sure it's just grain related. Easiest thing is to pick up if at all possible. Teach a fantastic leave it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feed him (4) cups a day of the Blue Buffalo Grain Free Duck, Salmon or Chicken variety. He weighs about 80 pounds. How much pineapple - I put maybe 2 tablespoons of crushed pineapple. Where is the capsule sold? Is it called "NOW"? It just seems odd that he is doing this -- Thanks for your reply and any information you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts