Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 1.5 yr/o dobie has been on the same food for about a year (Natural Balance). In the last month or so she started eating her own poo a couple times a week. I know this can typically mean an imbalance, so I called my vet to see if I should bring her in. They suggested just trying Solid Gold's "Stop Eating Poop" product. She got a tiny bit with dinner last night and has major diarrhea today. Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with the SEP product? Should I keep feeding it and add some yams for a couple days?

2. Is there typically a certain type of imbalance that causes poo eating, or is it always different? Basically, do I need to take her in to find the imbalance? She seems completely healthy.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Putting pineapple in your dog food will make poop less appetizing. Probably less expensive than store bought products.

Reactions: SchumiTEC

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Dogs eat poop because "it tastes good" usually. I wouldn't bring her too the vet. I'd try to brak the cycle by picking up ASAP and going outside with her. Anything with a digestive enzyme in her food might help - pineapple, papaya, digestive enzymes.

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
Ah, poo eating... Gack! This little predilection can be tricky to stop. I have had some foster dogs who did this and have tried pineapple and products to no avail. What has worked for me is to ensure their food is highly digestible. Undigested food makes the poo smell like the kibble that made it.

Never make a fuss over eating it! Some dogs come to think you also see the droppings as a resource. I have a friend who freaked when her poodle puppy ate poo and now the dog eats poo as it appears. She doesn't allow it to even hit the ground! I've prevented this from happening by going out with the dog and offer a high value food reward and much praise when done. Then I remove them from the yard and scoop the waste. I figure if they are associating a bowel movement with a snack, then I can easily transfer that over to actual food.

I never, ever put a poo eater in the yard with waste and I stay with them to ensure they do not have a chance to engage in the behavior. I keep this up for a minimum of six months more if the dog is especially persistent. It is a lot of work but it has worked far better than a pill or pineapple.

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 4 of 4 Posts