Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! If there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers on taping ears I would really appreciate it. I have talked with the breeder and she is helpful but I am wondering what everyone else does or has done. The tubing I was told to use just seems to big and keeps popping out of her ears, I am taping as low as I can and still, out they come. Her ears also seem to fall in, is this normal and I just have to keep fixing it or is there something that would make a good bridge to keep them up straight longer. I am so glad I have this group to ask, I can't beleive that no one I know has ever owned a Dobe or known one except mine. They sure don't know what they are missing. Thanks.:emo6:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Red Girl said:
Hi! If there is anyone out there who wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers on taping ears I would really appreciate it. I have talked with the breeder and she is helpful but I am wondering what everyone else does or has done. The tubing I was told to use just seems to big and keeps popping out of her ears, I am taping as low as I can and still, out they come. Her ears also seem to fall in, is this normal and I just have to keep fixing it or is there something that would make a good bridge to keep them up straight longer. I am so glad I have this group to ask, I can't beleive that no one I know has ever owned a Dobe or known one except mine. They sure don't know what they are missing. Thanks.:emo6:
If the ears are posted correctly and the post provides adequate support, the ears shouldn't fall in. More than likely you don't have the posts seated correctly all the way in the ear.

Try getting some regular tampons (cardboard applicators) to use for posts if you think the tubing you've been using is too large to fit all the way inside the ear at this point in time. Or maybe even junior tampons, depending on the size of your puppy.

Braces primarily are used to keep ears from falling *outwards* rather than inwards.

Is there any way you can arrange to meet with your breeder to get some hands on help?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ok here is what i did.. I took foam pipping and cut it to fit in the ear to the little nub that is in the bottom of the ear ( i got the 1/2" diameter, or was it the 1" But anyways i cut it in half length wise then cut it again length wise so it was like 1/4 of what i started with, hopefully you understand lol) .. then i took Johnson & Johnson All purpose Cloth tape ( you can find it by the bandades at walmart ), I took the tape and wrapped it around the pipeing, when i reached the top i back taped so that the post is sticky, then put it in the earat the nub.. then took some tape and wrapped it around the pase of the ear going with the natural fold at the bottom then went around the middle and again at the top. Heres a picture for you to see. its not to close up but im sure you get the gist of it. I wish you luck ( after the first time it gets easier! Thats my hubby helping out, jack actually fell asleep the first time i did his ears.. it was a relief)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh also i make a brace between the ears.. you take two pieces of long tape wrap one on the back side of the ears the the other one on the front.. but make sure that the ears are straight and where you want them when you brace em.. like have someone hold up the ears straight while you do it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

The brace between Mensa's ears is a tongue depressor covered with tape. At Mensa's stage, the brace makes all the difference in the world.

The "posts" are foam tubing, about as big around as my finger. Tape is wrapped around the foam sticky side out and set low into the ear.

The vet who cropped the ears does all my posting, the service was included with the price for cropping. I could do it myself now after seeing it done a few times, but it would be tricky to hold Mensa still at the same time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ear Help

Where are you located? If you are near me, email me and i will help you with the taping. There is a much simpler way (a trick from the Great Dane breeder) that will give you a nice fit, but also stay on for more than a couple hours LOL

Whatever you do don't use wooden stir sticks as they can splinter. I prefer the method we use as the ear is not fully enclosed and so it can stay on a bit longer, but there is still air circulation. At 12 weeks we could remove our pups taping and their ears would stand anywhere from an hour to overnight. Then they'd start to fall and require retaping.

We're located about an hour north of Guelph, 30 minutes south of Owen Sound. [email protected]

Or if you want, I can send you the directions by email.
Maura

1 - 10 of 10 Posts