Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jazz got cropped at 9 or 10 weeks old. She will be 9 months old next weeks, and i'm still posting. It's only needed for 1 of her ears and there is scar tissue where it falls so i don't know if it will ever be up. However, between postings, that ear will stand straight for about a day, then it falls. What are my chances that it will ever stay standing? Should i consult the vet about doing something about the scar tissue? When is that point that you just have to say, it's just not going to stand? I keep holding out hope that it will stand since i do get that 1 day out of it...but, ONLY 1 day, after 7 months of posting? And i use the method that's on the sticky thread... :(

Here she is yesterday several hours after coming out of tape.. it's her left that falls at the crease you can see about halfway up. Her right ear "fold" to the inside there to make the typical doberplane look but her left folds over instead..

Her good side:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I dont have any advice as far as any tricks or her chances, but I know a lot of people on the forum work (i'm at lunch now lol) and show on weekends. I'm sure someone will be able to help just give it some time.

She is a very pretty girl though! And I do see the crease,
how consistent are you with posting?
have you used any other methods?
How long does it usually stay up for before it falls? you said a day, but is it ever longer, shorter, etc..?
Does the ear feel any different in the creased area (heavy, rough, bumpy etc..)
Do you have any closeups of her other side, so we can see the bad ear better?

Hopefully the answers to those questions will help others to help you. :) good luck!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My advice is to keep posting and QUIT letting the ear fall at ALL, especially since you know it's a problem ear. It's not unusual to still be posting at that age. My puppy is 10 months old and he still has quite a way to go before his ears stand on their own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have heard that a vet can do a small surgery and put an implant in the part that is falling as long as it is a small issue, not the whole ear. Talk to a vet that deals with ears.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Some dogs take a year or more. You need to stop letting the ear fall before posting. It is setting you back everytime you let it fall. Take the ears down, clean, let dry out and repost immediately. Dont leave them down for more than 30 minutes. I wouldnt test them again for two or three months. It would be nice to be able to see what you think is wrong with the problem ear.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I have heard that a vet can do a small surgery and put an implant in the part that is falling as long as it is a small issue, not the whole ear. Talk to a vet that deals with ears.
It's my impression from this board that the success rate for implants isn't good- that "stringing" is the way to go and that it be done by someone very experienced w/ear repairs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses! I'm at work and she's currently posted so i'll see if i have a close up or remember to take one next time i clean her ears.
I don't let her ear fall between postings, she is down for more than 30 minutes about every 3 time but the moment it's not rigid straight it goes back up. The spot where it wants to fold is very soft and the only reason i feel maybe it's scarred is b/c it's the same place a big scab came off at the beginning, and it is the only problem area keeping her from being done.

I don't want to put her through implants or stringing since i'm not showing or breeding her. I've got just her one ear posted at the moment, standing straight as a rail! lol. The other one is good to go.

I guess my main question is, i know for now it's got to stay up, but...i've got to test it at some point, and there has to be some point where you have to know if it's ever going to stand. I'll see what I can find picture wise...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best pics that i had that show it. They are from the past couple months. The one of her ear down, i know was a no-no but we were at a park and i didn't think she would jump in the water-wrong- so since it was soaked i took them down, but reposted as soon as we were home. The head shot shows the difference in the weaknesses of the ears. (this one is from almost 2 months ago and her right ear is now all the way up and staying.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts