Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I’m in the early stages of posting right now (about 2 weeks in) and I noticed that my puppy’s ears were cut unevenly. One ear has that standard show cut with the nice curve going up the tip while the other one is significantly fatter and straighter. Does anyone have any experience with this? It’s making posting difficult too because no matter how I fix the bridge or tape the ears, they still look uneven. I felt like I knew something was wrong as soon as we took the cup off. One of the ears was bent backwards on her head whereas the other one was normal and floppy. Feeling very discouraged right now :-( does anyone know any posting methods that might help with this? Her ears are also touching each other, should I fix the length of the bridge as well? I attached a picture so you can see just how different they are in thickness.

Thanks
Hand Finger Thumb Gesture Nail

·
Registered
198 Posts
If the crop was done that bad from what I’ve heard they have to be recropped to fix it, but not sure 🙂Bumping this so the experienced croppers can see it!

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
Hi mim...
If you are not used to a current Dobe crop, it is understandable why you would think that the ears were cropped unevenly even if they were not. One thing to remember. dogs like humans are not symmetrical from side. In other words... When you see your image in a mirror its is not what people see. So, dogs' ears are often not totally identical to begin with. A good ear cropper takes that into consideration and shapes the ears so that they will be as close to each other in shape and size when they are finished being posted. Many dogs ears, throughout the posting process, stand differently. One may take longer to stand. One may develop a pocket when the other doesn't. And one may have a tip that requires attention when done posting, while the other does not. This all comes from not being exactly the same side to side.

My guess is exactly what Kansadobe said... The crops were probably not shaped unevenly and it may be that you are positioning the ears slightly differently. Or it just may be your perception.

As far a re-cropping, I don't know what Arrow was talking about. That shouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

Why don't you post a couple of photos of your girl's ears. One in posts and one in between posting with the ears out. It's really easy to post pics using the "add image" feature in the middle of the tool bar below. That way, if there is an issue, someone can point it out and make suggestions. Or if there is no issue, you will be able to put your mind at ease.

The bottom line is that posting cropped ears is a slow and steady process. There are lots of times for adjustments and improvements in technique and care.

Best to you and your pup

John L.
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
My boys tips are not perfectly symmetrical but I don’t pull his ears together to notice and no one has ever pointed and laughed at him because of it. I am poking a bit of fun but I will also add that your dog and his ears are still growing so I would just focus on posting well and diligently and let the ears fall where they may….figuratively.
Here is my boy and his ears.
Dog Window Dog breed Carnivore Liver
Dog Comfort Carnivore Jaw Ear

How about sharing your pup’s sweet face?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi mim...
If you are not used to a current Dobe crop, it is understandable why you would think that the ears were cropped unevenly even if they were not. One thing to remember. dogs like humans are not symmetrical from side. In other words... When you see your image in a mirror its is not what people see. So, dogs' ears are often not totally identical to begin with. A good ear cropper takes that into consideration and shapes the ears so that they will be as close to each other in shape and size when they are finished being posted. Many dogs ears, throughout the posting process, stand differently. One may take longer to stand. One may develop a pocket when the other doesn't. And one may have a tip that requires attention when done posting, while the other does not. This all comes from not being exactly the same side to side.

My guess is exactly what Kansadobe said... The crops were probably not shaped unevenly and it may be that you are positioning the ears slightly differently. Or it just may be your perception.

As far a re-cropping, I don't know what Arrow was talking about. That shouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

Why don't you post a couple of photos of your girl's ears. One in posts and one in between posting with the ears out. It's really easy to post pics using the "add image" feature in the middle of the tool bar below. That way, if there is an issue, someone can point it out and make suggestions. Or if there is no issue, you will be able to put your mind at ease.

The bottom line is that posting cropped ears is a slow and steady process. There are lots of times for adjustments and improvements in technique and care.

Best to you and your pup

John L.
Portland OR
Hi John!

Thanks for the advice (and big thank you to everyone else who chirped in!). To be honest, I'm not too worried about our girl's ears, I wrote this for my mom who does all the posting. We had a gorgeous show quality boy before this pup who came with his stitches out and was ready for posting. I think she's just a bit overwhelmed this time having to go through more of the cropping/posting process.

I would never consider re-cropping either, I just wanted to know if it was serious or all in our heads 😉While one of her ears is thicker than the other, I think that just means we need to tweak how we tape it to the rod. The thinner ear stands beautifully, we just add in a bumper to prevent a pocket from forming. As for the thicker one, I think it just needs a little more care and time. After all, we're still only 2 weeks in!

Here are some pics of our little girl Rosie ❤
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boys tips are not perfectly symmetrical but I don’t pull his ears together to notice and no one has ever pointed and laughed at him because of it. I am poking a bit of fun but I will also add that your dog and his ears are still growing so I would just focus on posting well and diligently and let the ears fall where they may….figuratively.
Here is my boy and his ears.
View attachment 142022 View attachment 142023

How about sharing your pup’s sweet face?
gorgeous ears! he reminds me of the red boy we lost not too long ago 🥲
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Ear Working animal

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
Very pretty girl.

I think things might look a lot less symmetrical than they actually are simply because of the state of her ears right now. When one is bending over, and they aren't really close to done posting, it's easy to think they look "off." I suspect when you are done posting her ears and they are standing nicely they will look beautiful. Even if they did happen to be slightly uneven I doubt anyone would ever notice. She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful crop, and if you post them diligently you'll have a lovely result. I personally wouldn't spend another minute worrying about it.

·
Big Lil pup
7,299 Posts
Hi again mim

Thanks for putting up the photos. Rosie's a handsome Pup! As was your red guy.

Keep updating. It's so cool watching all the pups here on DT grow up. My son's current puppy just turned 10 months. It seem like yesterday when he was Rosie's age.

Edit to say: I just saw where you added the photo to your first post, comparing the width of the two ears. I still think she'll have nice looking ears by the time you're done.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very pretty girl.

I think things might look a lot less symmetrical than they actually are simply because of the state of her ears right now. When one is bending over, and they aren't really close to done posting, it's easy to think they look "off." I suspect when you are done posting her ears and they are standing nicely they will look beautiful. Even if they did happen to be slightly uneven I doubt anyone would ever notice. She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful crop, and if you post them diligently you'll have a lovely result. I personally wouldn't spend another minute worrying about it.
Thank you for your reassurance it’s just what I needed to hear!! We will definitely keep up the diligence! 🥰🥰

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again mim

Thanks for putting up the photos. Rosie's a handsome Pup! As was your red guy.

Keep updating. It's so cool watching all the pups here on DT grow up. My son's current puppy just turned 10 months. It seem like yesterday when he was Rosie's age.

Edit to say: I just saw where you added the photo to your first post, comparing the width of the two ears. I still think she'll have nice looking ears by the time you're done.

John L.
Portland OR
Thank you John 😊 Rosie had a sleek mom and a very handsome dad. We had the pleasure of seeing them in person as well. Every day is a surprise as she gets bigger and we get to see her parents features begin to show more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts