Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a flop eared, long tail dobe from a top breeder? Is it reasonable, if preferred, to request that the pup be delivered unsnipped? My wife and I aren't against the practice, but simply prefer the look......

:sunglasses2:

Thanks!!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I have an uncropped boy however he was a sort of "rescue". I am currently scanning potential breeders for a puppy within the next year and have seen/spoke to many reputable breeders who would allow natural pups upon request. Many do not 'advertise' this, but if you get to the know the breeder (which should be done anyways) they will more than likely be able to accept your requests.

Good luck in finding your doberboy/girl :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Ethical breeders will rarely do this for a few reasons...

They aren't just breeding to produce pets for other people, they're hoping for an outstanding puppy to keep for themselves, which means they have a plan for this puppy. They will often grade the litter at 8 weeks, before then they won't know which puppy will be going where. Tails are docked at just a few days of age, and ears are done usually around 6-7 weeks, so they won't know at that point which puppy is yours to leave natural and its important to them that their pick be cropped and docked.

They have an ideal dog they're looking to achieve with their breeding program, and if their ideal dog includes cropped and docked they'll want every puppy they produce to be as close to that picture they may have been working towards for decades. Most breeders feel strongly that this is a cropped and docked breed- they want every one of their puppies out there to be beautiful representatives of that standard.

It can be extremely difficult to place a natural dog in the case that the home was unable to keep theirs. I'm not saying you'll have that happen and you could have a great record, but no one can predict that, and if the breeder thinks they may be unable to place a natural dog (it can be hard enough to find a home for an adult) I could understand them avoiding that situation all together.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
As Murreydobe said you are more likely to find a breeder who produces dogs from working lines that would be willing to let you have a pup not cropped. I think now there are even a few breeders not cropping or docking in the U.S. I think I remember a thread saying which ones.

I am waiting on a puppy to be born from a litter that the breeders have decided not to C&D. There reason is that they want the option of competing in Europe where many places would not allow C&D. They are reputable by the way.

What are you looking for in a future pup? Pet only? Sport dog?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Lol no, a working breeder is a breeder who titles their dogs in a working sport instead of the show ring. There's only a small handful of dogs who have been successful in the show ring with natural ears (and not a single one with a natural tail) even very good dogs that are natural would likely cost thousands more to gain their championship. Working dogs aren't judged by their physical appearance though, so it would probably be easier to find a breeder willing to allow a dog to remain natural.

You could probably expect working dogs to different temperaments though, so if you're used to "show line" Dobermans, you might want to stay with them, or at least go and spend some time around working dogs before going that route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are amazing! I definitely want the show dog type....sounds like I'm screwed on the tail, if I want a top notch mutt.....any leads on the euro breeders? Could be my last chance...

:thanx:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Lol no, a working breeder is a breeder who titles their dogs in a working sport instead of the show ring. There's only a small handful of dogs who have been successful in the show ring with natural ears (and not a single one with a natural tail) even very good dogs that are natural would likely cost thousands more to gain their championship. Working dogs aren't judged by their physical appearance though, so it would probably be easier to find a breeder willing to allow a dog to remain natural.

You could probably expect working dogs to different temperaments though, so if you're used to "show line" Dobermans, you might want to stay with them, or at least go and spend some time around working dogs before going that route.
I understand the context in what you are saying here I just want to point out that many working breeders put a ZTP on there dog. In Germany it is a requirement to breed, part of the ZTP is conformation evaluation. I think bitches have to get a G (Good) and dogs have to have a minimum of a SG (Very good) So working dogs are/can be also judged by their physical appearance also. Although I do believe that if a sacrifice had to be made it would be in conformation long before working ability.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I understand the context in what you are saying here I just want to point out that many working breeders put a ZTP on there dog. In Germany it is a requirement to breed, part of the ZTP is conformation evaluation. I think bitches have to get a G (Good) and dogs have to have a minimum of a SG (Very good) So working dogs are/can be also judged by their physical appearance also. Although I do believe that if a sacrifice had to be made it would be in conformation long before working ability.

JMO, but SG generally represents pretty mediocre to poor structural quality.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
JMO, but SG generally represents pretty mediocre to poor structural quality.
...and a lot of working people will say that a TT, WAE, and ZTP are poor tests of working ability but at least a ZTP and TT (or WAE) are something either show breeders or working breeders are getting to show their dogs aren't "hideous" or "nerve-bags".

to the OP- there are also breeders that title on both ends- show and working quality (although it's hard to find a breeder that really excels in both).

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Does anyone have a flop eared, long tail dobe from a top breeder? Is it reasonable, if preferred, to request that the pup be delivered unsnipped? My wife and I aren't against the practice, but simply prefer the look......

:sunglasses2:

Thanks!!
Would you guys consider a rescue Doberman?

Sometimes all-naturals come thru rescue.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want a natural pup, I suggest you look into European breeders. I know an excellent one, great working and good looking dogs. BUT they don't speak english I am afraid...

Dogs of poor structural quality should not pass the ZTP. SG does not mean the dog is "ugly", they give a dog a SG fairly quickly actually.

·
Super Cute Holly
227 Posts
my pup is coming from a great registered breeder. And her tail will be long and waggi and her ears cute and floppy. Just the way she was meant to be. Dockin is illegal in Australia sa lol. So we get naturals. Nothing wrong with that tho:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts