Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dobie Lovers,

I"m a newbie to this forum but it has helped me a great deal reading all the tips and tricks to care for my 11 week old red doberman. I"m trying to see if everyone thinks her ears are cropped too long? She's still has them posted and hopefully will come off in about another few weeks.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I think they are beautiful- she will grow into them nicely, but you have longer than a few weeks (sorry for the bad news, I cant wait to be done with posting too!) The ears are usually posted until 6 months old, but often longer with such tall ears.

Reactions: KissNme

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I also think that the length is fine. Once she's full grown they will look like they fit her head MUCH better. Ears that length, however, will take until at least 6 months to stand. The longer crops sometimes take up to a year.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You really need to pay attention to that right ear, it's developing a pocket. That's why that ear appears shorter than the other. Make sure the ear is pulled all the way up onto the post. If a post pops out of place, remove and repost ears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
She has a beautiful crop ! Be diligent and if you have trouble find someone experienced to post them for you. Seriously, nothing is worse than a beautiful crop on a dobe that doesn't stand properly. You maybe posting for months but don't give up ! Calcium and vit C are good for ears , go to DPCA | Home to the breeder education section. they have tons of articles about everything and several on ear care. Like I said though, find some one around you, even a Great Dane breeder, that can post them if your unsure AT ALL !

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
she has a beautiful crop but I agree with other people about posting for awhile, my pup has a medium crop which is shorter than yours and he was posted up until he was about 7 months. Some crops like others have said can take up to a year so don't get discouraged if after a while they are not standing by themselves in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the response, it seems indeed a very attentive and patient process for posting. I'll definitely have the breeder help me to continue the proper posting since doing it a few times myself is more of a trial and error.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Calcium and vit C are good for ears
NO!!!! No calcium supplements for puppies!! It does not help ears, only the proper crop and aftercare makes for a good result.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I may be the lone voice of dissent here. I always think the puppy ear should look too long. When they grow into them, they usually look fine. I would withhold judgement till then. If they end up looking like the dog on the back of the latest DPM(which I don't think they will), then you've got a problem.:D

But, they're plenty long, that's for sure. Watch the pocket.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome to DT from Missouri and no it is a beautiful crop. But as stated please correct the posting now - Have your breeder help you so it does not stand teepeed over the head. Once it sets that way you can't correct it. She will need to stay posted til at least 6 to 7 months of age. Looking good so far!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think her crop is beautiful and that she will grow into those ears nicely. Make sure that when you're posting you post her ears at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions with no bridge to help correct those pockets. You may also try putting a cotton ball or another piece of backer rod in to pop that pocket out when you post. Make sure if the bottom of the post pops out of the ear you take it down and repost asap. Pretty pretty girl! Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts