Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my girl got her ears done at 13 weeks they were left down with stitches, she had an E collar on this Monday 13 days after surgery she had her stitches taken out and the vet tapped her ears he told me to leave them taped for a until Saturday and let them dry Sunday bring her back Monday. Well I took the post down yesterday morning because she has a tape irritation patch on the outside top of her ear so I wanted to check it out and clean it. I was shocked to see that her ears looked perfect as I couldn't ask for anything better I left them unwrapped for 4 hours gave her a bath and cleaned her ears. Should her ears look so perfect already 2 weeks post surgery? I tapped them back up for her to sleep. And will keep them up until Saturday like my vet said.. But wow is this normal- I've seen other pictures of puppies and they still have a flop to them.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
What style crop does she have? and we love pictures *hint hint*

Every puppy and every ear is different, some take months and months of hard work to stand and others are great from the start. There is also middle ground where her ears may stand great for a few days/weeks/months then fall and need more posting through teething or a growth spurt.

Glad to hear her ears are doing so great! Good luck :)

Reactions: LindaH

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Sam is right, the style of the crop will have an effect on how long it takes fr the ears to stand.

I'd keep posting them regardless, but then, I'm also super careful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet called it a long cut cut to me its longer than a medium and shorter than a show. He did a very great job on her ears. This is my first Doberman and my first ear cropping proposes. Got to say though Doberman is my dream dog now I've got her and she is the most perfect dog I could have ever asked for. AND SMARTEST!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
That's awesome that she is everything and more you could have wanted :)

Pictures will be the most helpful but from the sounds of it I would hesitantly call it much the same as you did- a long/tall medium cut.
Keep in mind to it may seem like a tall medium now but as she grows it may turn into a nice regular medium crop. (again going off what you've said only)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
You should probably continue the posting proceses for a bit longer to ensure they will keep standing perfectly. And while you're here, you could check into some of the forums and learn lots about owning a doberman :) You can use the search bar at the top if there are any specific things you are wondering about.... Welcome, from Florida!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll post pictures in a few I have to get on my computer it won't let me from my phone although I did manage to put some in my gallery

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
General rule is to post until they are done teething. V has a long show crop. His ears never fell. Posted until he was 6 months old and done teething. I think I posted an extra weekmor two just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
She's very cute!
I would call those a regular medium and she should grow into them nicely, they are standing in the pictures but could be straighter, like others have said I would post a few more weeks then reassess and repeat cycle as necessary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds great I would rather be safe then sorry later anyways. I was very worried at first because I saw so many dobies with cups on their heads and racks, her ears were left down and they really tried hard to stand then. But they were all tipeed like touching in the middle. i will keep posting for a while. I will post pictures in another month or so. right now she has sores on the top part of her ear by her head so I'm trying to make sure that they are getting lots of air to them. Thanks so much for all the advise. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a new picture in my gallery of Kenyas ears today. I'm worried about the sore she has we go back to the vet Monday

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
They look great in the newest photo, what is the sore doing?
And out of curiosity do you know what tape you are using? tape reactions can be fairly common.
Regardless going to the vet is a great plan if there is something that is worrying you about it.
Hugs to Kenya

Reactions: Kenya

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Her ears look about the length my girl Tali's ears were. Tali's are a short medium crop (you can see her picture in my signature).

They grow into their ears. As an adult I highly doubt your girl's ears will be a long crop. But the bell was cleaned up nicely and they look even. It's an attractive short crop!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I agree with brw - it looks like a shorter crop and will hopefully stand pretty quickly.... but probably need a few more postings.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
939 Posts
My pup is 15 weeks, and although I can take her posts down now (and for the last couple weeks) and her ears will stand for hours- its deceptive. They really need to be posted through teething.. around 6 months of age. I wouldn't want to take the risk of her having floppy cropped ears- nothing looks worse than a failed crop/poor crop.

Good luck with your pup.. shes a cutie :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I would wait it out and see what they do. It wont hurt a thing if they do fall at her age as long as you dont leave them down for a whole day. I say this because I am one of the few people who has owned a pup whose ears stood after only one posting. This was a pup I bred and had cropped by Patty Edwards, DVM. All of the litter had show crops, but this pup had the longest show crop of the litter. They were done at 8 wks of age, ears overlapped on top of the head and taped together. Took stitches out, taped them for the first time and left up for 5 days. Took them down, cleaned and retaped all but the one with the longest crop, whose ears were standing. I waited for them to start falling to tape. They never fell! She was done after one taping. It all depends on the strength of the cartilage, not the length of the cut. I would take the ears down, especially if she has a sore that needs to heal. Even if you are not one of the few lucky ones and her ears start to fall, all you have to do is tape them back up.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You get all these people telling you to tape and not risk leaving the ears down because they have never experienced a pup like I have. There was a member who announced his pups ears were done after one posting and people made fun of him for saying it. I backed him up that it could and does happen. Murreydobe has had one or two, jdd, a handler, and, I believe, MaryandDobes also. All longtime doberman show owners, breeders and members on this forum. The only way you ever know if the ears are done is to test them. No one just magically knows one day the ears are done!!! You have to leave them down and see whether or not they fall, no matter the age of the pup. If they do fall while pup is teething, you generally post till teething is done, BUT some pups finish during this period, too. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to ears.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys so much! Her ears are still down and standing great, we go to the vet Monday to look at her sore again! The tape is Johnson & Johnson coach tape! The vet said to leave her ears down until Monday to just keep it clean. I forgot to say in my first post that the vet said that she had small ears and thick so they would stand very easily. The sore isn't bad just its right in line where her tape meets her head. And if her ears look as great as Talis I would be very happy that's about what I was going for.
Thanks again so much!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts