Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 5 month old that got his ears croppedon March 24, 2021?? From my understanding postings and standing takes months. I let his ears air out and they look good to go. I was wondering if we lucked up or not. It only took two wrappings for them to stand. Should I continue wrapping, or can I finally leave my pup and his ears alone? I’m sure he’d love not having tape on them but I wanted confirmation first.
5BC51659-56AA-4139-B9FB-7CC0D4CD69D6.jpeg
D9A4CEBE-4F18-4A3F-B941-78A79124BD49.jpeg
5663D87E-3E88-45AB-9F93-DFB1A7BCCA3D.jpeg
8411DD29-1B6F-43BB-B0E9-8F305867C767.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is a pocket? And what should I do to avoid it? I’m currently using 1/2 foam rods with a smaller piece beside it to push out any unwanted indentations. So far it has corrected it but I don’t want to over correct if that’s what’s causing a pocket.

·
Big Lil pup
6,742 Posts
Hi SC.

Pockets are described in the discussion linked here:

. Pocket formation is not uncommon and easily correctable. They cause the ear(s) to tip inward and need to be addressed while posting. Your pup's right ear does appear to be tipping in quite a bit.

Also... I personally would continue to post a while longer. At least through teething.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,587 Posts
The tilt in toward the centerline of the head is an indication that you have a pocket going in that ear. Maybe use a little bigger added piece to push the pocket out. I'd guess you should probably be posting for about another month--three weeks to push the pocket out and straighten up the tilted ear and the other ear has a little curve at the the top which will probably straighten out with a few more postiings.

It isn't the little extra piece of post material that is causing the pocket but it's what will actually correct the pocket. A couple of things happen that can cause pockets. If you don't make sure you are pulling the ear up and and a little out when you posting it can slide down just a little and form a pocket. So pull the ear up and out firmly and apply the first wraps of tape at the bottom. After you've done that so that you've stabilized the ear you can finish the taping, adding the wraps from bottom to top.

Looks good though--that a long crop and you are approaching the finish but not quite there yet.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
I would not personally be satisfied. The ears could be a lot straighter. As others have mentioned, you can correct that with posting. I think you've made good progress but I would keep posting and I would try to correct the inward tipping.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
Looking really nice! You've made excellent progress. For me, this is the point at which you decide how picky you want to be about how "straight" they are. Some people want them absolutely straight, some people don't care as much. I think they look very nice, and I'd be happy with them if they stay like they are. Hard to know if they are "done" - only you will know based on whether they actually stay up, if you start to see any drooping or changing, etc. But I would personally be super happy with the look of the ears as they are in these photos.

·
Premium Member
10,587 Posts
Ditto from me--his ears look very good and even for my show prospects I would be happy with them just as they are but if they were newly unposted keep a close eye on them--sometimes it turns out after a day or so they need one or two final postings but if they stay like that I'd call them done and be happy about it.

dobebug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts